X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Space-X

This is one of my few pick ups at a toy show this weekend, a space age rack toy from a company I've never seen before. I was attracted to it because it's the love child of Fireball XL-5 and the Phoenix from Battle of the Planets.

It's kind of cheap but also so wonderfully sincere. I love the added marketing for "The Golden Astronaut" like that little perk puts this over the top.

Also, most Rack Toys never have anything on the back of the card, let alone in full color but Space-X went all out and this is a whole series. It seems to have a real Gerry Anderson flavour, this could be a problem.

Rack Toys: Cheap, Crazed Playthings is a limited edition 144 page book from the creator of Plaid Stallions. Order from us and get three free promotional post cards.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

Was this company famous for something other than rack toys since you never heard of them?
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

The good ole days when all it took was a little plastic and a unlimited imagination.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I'm getting a Zee Toys Metal Men vibe off of that. Maybe it's the packaging...and the vac-metal.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

Its funny you mention Gerry Anderson, as its precisely that which is intended. A little googling and i found a whole host of stuff on this line. Its from 1969 and based on a British comic strip called Project Sword. The Triang company also did the Dinky toy line, sort of the Marx of Great Britain. These are from 1969.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

Its funny you mention Gerry Anderson, as its precisely that which is intended. A little googling and i found a whole host of stuff on this line. Its from 1969 and based on a British comic strip called Project Sword. The Triang company also did the Dinky toy line, sort of the Marx of Great Britain. These are from 1969.

Put in triang to google images or ebay uk site for more. There are a host of products. Yeah, this could start something....

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Oh cool, I've been researching myself but never made the direct Anderson connection before. Most of the sites that catalog this stuff are confusing but it's really interesting.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

Go over to this site for the American & Canadian inport versions and knockoffs, including AHI & Durham toys. By clicking the home link you can also jump to versions from other countries

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                  Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                  • Jan 22, 2008

This is cool, I would have picked it up too. Pretty sure I have one of the "golden astronauts" as well.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎