X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Space Shield

It pays to advertise, for those that listen to the pod cast, you may recall me whining about my precious Space Sword and Shield. Happy relics from my childhood that were whisked off the "Goodwillland" along with my Stretch Armstrong, Bulletman and most of Big Jim's P.A.C.K one tragic evening.

Well, it appears that I had a good samaritan in a fellow named who put me onto another Canadian named Erik who had one for sale, for ten bucks. Erik was not only honest, but just a really decent guy, check out the results after the jump.

Here she is in all her glory, exactly as I remember her. Being an eight year old who a) Loved Star Wars and b) would pick Captain America as his favourite superhero, this was a cocktail of awesome. The Space Sword slid conveniently into the top and acted as a sheath. Somebody had their thinking cap on that day.

Honestly, I played with this thing so much I could have drawn a picture of the back from memory. Love terms like "Laser Ammo" and "Space Intercom" and that scanner image is burned into my psyche.

This stuff got cranked out pretty fast, I remember the swords actually beat Star Wars figures to stores. I never actually had a licensed light saber toy, take that Lucas! I haven't gotten to the best and most memorable part of this swell toy...

It glows in the dark! How is that for awesome!

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

That's wicked. It looks like a kid sized action figure accessory and it glows in the dark. Hard to get cooler than that.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

I love that it's a shield, and the interior hatch of a space craft all in one. Did you ever put that on the side of a cardboard box "ship" and land on distant planets? Coolness.
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Heee heee....

I remember the sword, and I saw ads for the shield but never saw one in person. The sword was great, although mine broke pretty quick. I discovered it oculd be easily fixed (AND did more damage) if you ran a large dowel through it.

Don C.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Cool... I remember the sword, and recall seeing the shield ads in Canada. Never had one, though!

And it's even reminiscent of Ralph McQuarrie's original concept for Stormtrooper accessories.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Red Hulk
            Career Member
            • Dec 19, 2012

Originally posted by ctc
            Heee heee....

I remember the sword, and I saw ads for the shield but never saw one in person. The sword was great, although mine broke pretty quick. I discovered it oculd be easily fixed (AND did more damage) if you ran a large dowel through it.

Don C.
            I had the sword and yeah mine broke easy too but that thing was cool,I don't really remember the shield though.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

That so perfectly captures the simplistic allure of toys from our era. That could keep you engaged for hours as a kid because it caters to your imagination. It certainly connects with the child in me.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                Hot Child in the City
                • Jul 3, 2008

Groovy! Congrats on finding one in such great condition!

Comment

• ScottA
                  Original Member
                  • Jun 25, 2001

Very cool. You gotta love stories like this.
                  sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Ssylyss
                    Museum Patron
                    • Jan 16, 2008

That is really cool, never seen it before. I would haved loved something like that growing up. Any images of how the sword attaches? It's kind of hard to tell.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

It slides into a hole in the top right corner.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, I had no idea these existed back in the day. I would have been all over these. So much cooler than the flimsy medevial shields of the 80s.

Great story!

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
                          8 Inch Action Figure
                          • Nov 15, 2005

My son used to play with the set we pulled from my mother;s attic -- the one my brothers used to play with!

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

That is all kinds of awesome. Love the fact that it has a first aid kit too. I don't recall seeing them when I was young though, I remember glow in the dark swords but not this. I would have wanted one though!

Comment

• Shanester
                              Rocket-Man
                              • Jun 22, 2001

I don't remember these Brian. Maybe they were not distributed in my area, but I would have bugged my parents to death for one.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎