X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoSteve
    Superman's Pal
    • Jun 17, 2005

Superman 1978 Pepsi Glasses

Today, Collecting Superman takes a look at the Superman glasses from the second DC superheroes series from Pepsi.

• Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I've had the round Superman and Batman glasses since I was a kid. My older cousin picked them up for me, and my Mom held them back for me, and didn't let me drink out of them! In that way, they were my first "collectibles".

Two things I've always been foggy on: Were ALL the 78 series characters released in both styles?

And secondly, where exactly were these glasses sold? Pizza Hut? Burger King? Both?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
      Superman's Pal
      • Jun 17, 2005

I'm not really sure when restaurants had them. I think they all were released in both styles.

It's weird... I couldn't find much of anything online about them. When I Googled them, most of what I got were sales listings. I could swear there was a site that had articles about these somewhere.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I've seen the posters for the moon series online, and I seem to recall seeing posters for a Marvel series (Spider-Woman comes to mind) at a Burger King on a rare visit to nearby Lexington when I was 5 or so.

I'd really like to know some of the behind the scenes on these glasses. These collectible glasses are such a part of the 70s and early 80s, you'd think there would be a comprehensive book on them, that's more than just a visual/price guide.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

I picked one of these up a couple weeks ago. Wish I could find more, they always sell.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Mego MkIV
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 9, 2013

Those Superman glasses are great I was wondering the same thing about where they were sold.

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

I love me some Pepsi superhero glasses...

Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Yes, that is a beautiful set. I have a set of all the characters, but not all the variations (especially if round bottom versions of all the 1978 ones exist). I really need to get them set up nicely like that though.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• megomania
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jan 2, 2010

Went to the Portland (Oregon) Expo Center Antique show last weekend and a bunch of different sellers had both series for sale. Mostly one or two at each table for anywhere between $15-$20 each including the moon series. One seller had four of the moon series for sale at $45......each. I thought about grabbing a few of the cheaper ones but didn't pull the trigger. Kinda wish I had since we came home with leftover cash in our pockets.

-Chris

Comment

• Relic
                    Banned
                    • Jun 24, 2012

Not sure about the USA but these glasses were sold in Canada at Burger King. I remember begging my parents to go there so we could get the glasses. Being a kid they were used and abused and eventually were broken etc. Always loved those glasses. Wish I had them now.

Comment

• Joltrider
                      • Aug 30, 2010

I use to have that first Batman glass. Granted the paint was bit dull after others had washed it in the dishwasher quite a bit. Then one day it fell off a desk onto a hardwood floor and shattered. Oh well.
                      I always thought we got it and an Aquaman glass at a Hardee's. But maybe it was Burger King.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎