X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Munching Monkey

Is it just me or were these things absolutely everywhere in the 1970s. I'm not sure if I had one or just all my friends did but putting that bannana in that mouth, it was just impossible not to do.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

"What's that Lassie? That creepy monkey has fallen down the old well? GOOD!"

But seriously, yeah, those things were EVERYWHERE. I seem them a lot at antique malls to this day. And for some odd reason, they are usually in pretty good shape.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I remember the monkey well. I can't recall if any of my friends had one (I know I didn't). But I definitely recall seeing them in stores for the longest of times. Stradling Lassie? Not that I remember. But the monkey itself? Yes.

Comment

• Figuremod73
        That 80's guy
        • Jul 27, 2011

I've seen these things but I dont remember them having that kind of texture on the bodies. Variants?

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Definitely ubiquitous back in the day. Funny thing is it seems I'm not alone in remembering these things to be everywhere yet neither me nor any of my friends actually owning one. I always assumed these were produced in the 60's and they were just still around.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

They go back to the mid 50S actually, all based on this feller ZIPPY THE CHIMP, who was a bit of a celebrity on early TV. aside from the stuffed animals, he also had a series of children's books and his own comic book. We still have the one my Nana gave us as kids, probably in 1963 or so. Originally it had "ZIP" on it's chest, long missing.

c9fc_1.jpg

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

I'm pretty sure my cousins had it.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢