X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Jumbo Voltron Restoration--Pic Heavy

I figured there were enough Jumbo Machinder fans here to post this. Plus I find it pretty cool that there are a lot of folks in that collecting community, much like this one, who make repro parts and pieces for these awesome toys. Most of the Jumbos (Shogun Warriors) I've purchased till now have been pretty clean, and didn't need new stickers, but most were missing attachments, which are pretty easy to pick up. This guy, although almost totally complete minus some springs in the claws, was pretty dirty and had a lot of missing and scuffed decals. I knew when I bought it that I would try a restoration on it, and have purchased a set of repro decals for it. First step was cleaning it. Here's how it arrived:

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Here it is taken apart. Tried to peel off what I could of the stickers before soaking him in soapy water and then sending him through the dishwasher. The cleaning took much longer, and required way more elbow grease than I anticipated. Still working on getting glue residue off, but I'll post pics of the cleaned pieces tomorrow.

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

I appreciate you showing the process. Should be fun to watch.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• megocrazy
        Museum Trouble Maker
        • Feb 18, 2007

Goo gone will remove those stickers. WD40 works too but is a little bit oily afterwards. Might not matter on the plastic though. I they're gloss stickers you'll need to pull the plastic off the top of them and get to the paper sticker underneath.
        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

I've already gone through all that. I soaked it in the sink with soapy water. That effectively removed the paper part of the decals. I then ran it through my dishwasher, which helped with any remaining paper, and some of the residue. I checked online about WD-40s safety on polyethylene, then tested a small spot. It's supposedly safe, and didn't leave any residue or discoloration. I read online that, unlike with other plastics, it doesn't penetrate poly so it should be fine. I washed each piece off afterward just for added safety. I just have the blue leg left to clean.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• justzeg18
            Career Member
            • May 5, 2003

I never realized how many stickers this guy had. This is the same one that came with a wired-remote motorized base?

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

Is there a specific place that sells repro stickers for stuff like this?
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Iron Mego
                Wake Up Heavy
                • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by justzeg18
                I never realized how many stickers this guy had. This is the same one that came with a wired-remote motorized base?
                Yes, tons of stickers! I'm a little worried about that aspect of the restoration. I've never been good at applying stickers! And yes on the base as well. This one came with its base, but I took it off. I may try and get it working, but it's sort of a useless thing.

Originally posted by ScottA
                Is there a specific place that sells repro stickers for stuff like this?
                A bunch of people on the Robot Japan messageboard do repro stickers for this and other Jumbos. I don't know of a particular website though.
                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

All clean, and (almost) re-assembled. Left the feet off so it'll be a little easier to put some of the decals on. Just waiting for those and that will be the last step, applying all the dad-gum decals!

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

Ah, cleaned up beautifully and the plastic looks reconditioned. Those stickers did a good job of protecting those surfaces over time. Cool.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

This guy has held up pretty well over the last almost 30 years. Think they came out in '84 or so. The plastic is in great shape.
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

Looks really good! I like seeing a toy restored and brought back to life. Good job!

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

Okay, got the stickers last week, but was sick with the flu, so I had to wait to put them on. I was very trepidatious about this part of the process, as I'm horrible at applying stickers. But other than gunking up one of the eyes, and being short on the big leg wraps (hope they hold) I did much better than I thought I would. Also, two of the red lion's face decals weren't sent to me, but I didn't want to wait for them to show up to take pics. I also found some replacement springs that seem to be a great fit. Might be a little heavy on the tension, but hopefully it won't strain the jaws too much. After all is said and done, I really dig this jumbo and it was fun "restoring" it.

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Damn, It feels like I was waiting forever for an update.

You didn't disappoint.

Looks like a blast from the past!
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

You were waiting forever! It took awhile for the guy to get the stickers to me. He does awesome work though, so it was worth it.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎