X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Colouring Book Theatre : Big JIm and the P.A.C.K

When I can on Saturdays, I am going to provide an overview of what's inside of some of the cooler colouring books from the 1970's.

I decided to open with Big Jim and the P.A.C.K seeing as it's based on one of my favourite toy lines of that era.

Whitman had released a Big Jim All Star colouring book a few years earlier as well.

The art in this opus looks to be the work of Tony Tollarico, who was famous for the Dell "Monster Superhero" comics such as Dracula and Frankenstein. If you're into dopey comics check those out.

The action in this story begins in a small town, where all the animals have begun to attack the locals this apparently enough to interest the Professional Agents/Crime Killers and they speed off to investigate.

Big Jim and Warpath look a little cramped in the Lazervette but they immediately know who's behind the attacks.....

Yep it's Zorak, evil lord of the Underworld. Zorak has a plan to rule the world using all of our pets as slaves, he gives them a treat, they obey him.
    Actually, I used this same practice on my college roommate's dog.

So Zorak sends a dog to take care of Big Jim, did I mention he also has an army of Robots that look like Knights? I think I'd have sent those first or at least a bear.

Jim quickly shoots the dog with his gun (which puts people to sleep, this is 1976) and faces the army of Robot knights giving this brave speech while apparently wearing lip gloss.....

THEN HE FRIGGING RUNS AND HIDES! Leaving the P.A.C.K team to clean up the mess, I guess he meant to finish that brave statement with "By P.A.C.K, I meant those guys"

Jim of course, chases down Zorak and gives him a look at what his team did, probably taking credit too. All is won and the P.A.C.K ride off into the sunset.

Got a colouring book you'd like to guest review? Drop me a line!
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

COLOURING BOOKS!!!!!!

Y'know... there are at least 3 colouring books I've been looking for; and HAVE been for a LONG time. But there's so little info anywhere on old colouring books. This is pretty much the first refrence to any that I've seen.

....hee heee..... lip gloss.....

Don C.

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

That's pretty cool,i always loved coloring books.I miss my ROTJ ones
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

I have a cool coloring book collection, including the regular Big Jim guys, (not PACK). I have:

Action Jackson (yeah the Mego guy!)
        Big Jim
        SMDM
        Bionic Woman
        2 Star Trek
        Partridge Family
        HR PufNStuf
        4 Diff'rent Strokes
        Planet Of The Apes
        Barbie Country Camper (w/ Sticker pages)
        Mattel's Starr & Shaun (w/ Sticker pages)
        Davey & Goliath
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
          Career Member
          • May 14, 2007

I have that very coloring book: Big Jim PACK. I picked mine up on e-bay awhile back. It was old store stock so it did have any colored art in it. These are on e-bay all the time. If anyone needs a coloring book, just do a search. The seller I got mine from had about 100 different ones listed. IIRC I only paid something like $13 shipped. A nice piece to add to my Big Jim PACK collection.

Bob

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

It does indeed look like Tollarico. That guy and his somewhat "doughy" style gets a lot of flack over at Scott Shaw's Oddball Comics site, but at least he could hold a pencil. Some of the art in my kid's current Marvelcbooks is just plain awful. It looks like the publisher is employing children in sweatshops to trace comic book art.

I still have almost all of my coloring books from childhood. I even came across an Isis sticker fun book that belong to my sister in my dads' basement awhile back.

Good idea for a feature B!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎