Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever feel guilty about an extremely cheap purchase?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den82
    Career Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

I do. But I try not to, especially these days. I've dealt with enough creeps in my life to the point it's hardened me. These days it's getting harder and harder to buy anything good and nobody cuts me any slack, so I don't do it for anyone else.

I've foolishly sold hundreds of dollars worth of vintage audio that belonged to my grandfather for $50. When I first got into old toys, I was selling things like Mego Iron Man belts for $2 each and I remember I once posted a very rare figure on a forum once for a $1 and my inbox filled up within seconds. None of which were mentioning what is was.

In short, it's a dog eat dog world and it's better to be vicious than be devoured and trust me, the second you aren't, you WILL be devoured.

Comment

• Den82
      Career Member
      • Jan 17, 2011

By the way, there is nothing I love more than going to an Estate Sale and not being able to buy something because the morons running it want WAY too much. Then finding something far more valuable at the same sale for dirt.

I see it happen ALL the time.

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by warlock664
        I would've felt bad that I was only getting 2 of the 4 Alter Egos!
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

Just don't low ball the person and you should be alright
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MegoMark71
            Permanent Member
            • Dec 18, 2008

I agree with most. If i have to make an offer it's one thing, but if they already have it marked, then it's on them.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

The secondary market is very subjective. That's why I frown on price guides. I have lost count of how many figures or sets I have purchased for a fraction of what they're supposedly worth. If a buyer and seller agree to terms, that is it. What happens after that is moot. We have people that drive by and take old bicycles and furniture we sit out on the curb for the junk man. Are they reselling it or going to use it? I have no idea. But they get it out of my hair, so that's worth something to me too. Sometimes 'worth' is not measured by monetary gain.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by megocrazy
                An original Nintendo game called "Zombie Nation". I knew it was good though I didn't realize it was really good until I got inside and checked it on my phone. I was really just buying titles I knew I didn't have on my wall. I thought it was in the $20-$40 range tops.
                I tried that game on emulator last night and it is really hard!

To answer the question of the thread: never feel guilty about getting a good deal.

Comment

• Splitty
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 25, 2012

I absolutely do a little, every time. But I also feel extremely blessed and happy, as real deals and windfalls are few and far between, and always needed. Since I would never afford to buy these things new or ebay prices, I'm always very gratuitous. So a little bit o' guilt and a whole 'lotta estatic.

The ones that really bug me are where people DO know it's worth more, but are so desperate for money they're letting it go at alot less. I hate that. But most the time with good deals the people are just happy it's going somewhere appreciated and don't know or care how much more it's worth. I figure even if I sell it (and often I don't), the item will end up in the hands of collectors that really want it, so it's a nice chain of events.

I actually try to never let them know I'm going to resell it, because I don't want them to feel bad. I just make sure to show the seller how much I appreciate the item (AFTER the price has been set [:P) and it's all good.
                  I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I think it's the seller's decision to sell something at a certain price. If he's happy with the price tag he decided upon, then I have no problem with getting it cheap.
                    If he sells something, not knowing a thing about the item, and ask "what will you give for it?", I'll not offer big $$$. It's not my responsibility to point out he has an expensive item. He needs to make that decision himself. He could have looked it up, like I do.
                    My only exception is kids. When I buy something at a flea market from a kid selling toys, and his parents are not around, I make sure he gets a fair price. If he asks $1 for something worth $10, I'll give him like $5.
                    But if an adult has a Blue Snaggletooth and asks $2, I'll gladly take that deal, just like we do on Ebay.
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• littlewink
                      Museum Patron
                      • May 19, 2008

Originally posted by ScottA
                      No I don't. It's not my job to educate someone on what they have or should be asking for said item.
                      My thoughts exactly!

Comment

• megocrazy
                        Museum Trouble Maker
                        • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                        My only exception is kids. When I buy something at a flea market from a kid selling toys, and his parents are not around, I make sure he gets a fair price.
                        I've always had an issue with this. Now I always speak to an adult. I don't know why but I have a problem dealing with kids. I always feel funny about it. It's more and more common especially when dealing with stuff like action figures at yard sales. Kids set up their own tables. I always have one of their parents oversee the transaction. The one exception I make is the "junk" guys I deal with at local flea markets. Some I've dealt with for years so their kids know me on sight. These guys could care less on price. They're doing attic and garage cleanouts and buying storage lockers all the time. They want to move in volume because they'll have a whole new truckload of stuff next week.
                        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

My Mom used to be the best flea market bounty hunter.
                          She'd pretend to be this little old lady, and casually say "how much for this doll? For my grandchild."
                          That's how she got me my Mego Romulan. For $2...
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• vulcan2074
                            Live Long and Prosper
                            • Mar 23, 2008

I scored a Bionic Hair Salon MIB for 10.00 dollars and I was exstatic. So my answer would be no. I LOVE toys.
                            Sammy

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

Never. Ethics don't enter into this game. If you don't out think your competition, somebody else will.
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎