Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toysrus
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 23, 2007

Mego Superdog! There was a kid in my neighborhood who swore he had a Superdog Mego toy. He was wrong right?

And another kid telling me Shogun warriors made a "Mecha Kong"

Comment

• Tothiro
      Kitten Mittens
      • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      One that I got to debunk was some kid spouting off about a Super Powers Hall of Doom playset. Similar to the Snake Mountain deal, the top of the "head" lifted off, and there was the banquet hall from Hell. I told him he was full of crap. After all, if they were going to do this, I would know. After all, I had the first (and only!) issue of the SP newsletter. It said Darkseid was coming (and hinted Green Arrow would be out too), but not the Hall of Doom!!!
      Chris
      Maybe like this? I remember it was photographed on later release vehicle boxes. I first saw the image of it on a box in the toy store and spent quite a bit of time trying to find one myself.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Maybe like this? I remember it was photographed on later release vehicle boxes. I first saw the image of it on a box in the toy store and spent quite a bit of time trying to find one myself.
        Oh yeah, the Tower of Darkness. I remember hunting for that too! No, it wasn't that the kid was talking about. This was during series 1, and it was definitely the Hall of Doom from Challenge of the Super Friends he was lying about.

It's kind of funny that you resurrected this thread Tothiro. I was going to post a new "legend". My son came home a few weeks ago and said a kid at school had Alien X figure from Ben 10:Alien Force, and he was going to bring it to school and give it to my son. As some of you may know, Alien x was the final of the 10 new aliens from this season of Ben 10. Cartoon Network made a big ta-do about the episode where he debuted, running constant commercials for it. I told Andrew that the figure wasn't out yet, and to not believe everything that kids tell you. As the weeks have went on, I think he's starting to see through the other kids tall tales about why Alien X hasn't made it to school yet.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I heard legend of a kid who had a machine to make Star Wars figures, I remember crying BS on the story and my friend turned to me and said "Why would he have a whole box of Storm Troopers then? I've seeeeeeeeen them!"

He had this really wide eyed stare that I used to bug him about when we were teenagers.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I heard legend of a kid who had a machine to make Star Wars figures, I remember crying BS on the story and my friend turned to me and said "Why would he have a whole box of Storm Troopers then? I've seeeeeeeeen them!"

He had this really wide eyed stare that I used to bug him about when we were teenagers.
            I'm guessing he was the first "army builder" and had VERY indulgent parents.

Star Wars figure machine, huh? Why not just a money machine then?

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by toysrus

And another kid telling me Shogun warriors made a "Mecha Kong"
              If he was talking about the 24" Shoguns, definitely not, but god I wish they did!

If he was talking about the smaller diecast Shoguns, well, the Japanese company Ark did make a diecast King Kong in the 70's, that kind of looked like Mechanikong, and it did receive limited distribution in some US stores (probably mostly in import stores in various Chinatowns, etc) so maybe he saw that? (probably not, but you never know)

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                Removed.
                • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                It's kind of funny that you resurrected this thread Tothiro. I was going to post a new "legend".
                Chris
                Actually I was the one scanning through the pages and posted to it thereby "resurrecting" it.
                All this stuff is new to me as I've only been a member a few months.

Rich

Comment

• Action Martin
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by toysrus
                  Mego Superdog! There was a kid in my neighborhood who swore he had a Superdog Mego toy. He was wrong right?
                  I had a Krypto from Ideal's Captain Action Superman or Superboy set that I used with my Megos. Maybe that was the same thing your friend was doing.
                  Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, it seemed that everyone owned a rocket-firing Boba Fett but they were never allowed to bring it school because it could hurt someone or they might lose the rocket.

My older neighbor friend, Gordon G., claimed to have Megos of Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, Barry Allen (despite there not being a Mego Flash), and Steve Rogers. And, no, he didn't own Montgomery Ward's AE figures. Heck, I never even saw a MW until 1993. His Steve Rogers was Alan Verdon's head on a Captain America body.

Another childhood friend, Mike H., claimed to have Mego Flash and Mego Dr. Doom. I believed him because he had every freakin' toy ever made in the 70s (and later in the 80s) in his house.

I've heard tale of the Mego Gene Simmons that dripped blood out of his mouth.

The worst rumor/lie was from my own brother. He claimed that while at a KayBee with my mother he saw James Bond 3 3/4" action figures. The packages were labelled "Octopussy", which had just been released in theaters, but it featured characters from all of the 007 movies. I was ecstatic and went to the only KayBee in our area and they didn't have them. My brother said that they must have sold out because they were "selling like hotcakes" when he was in the store. My mother didn't recall seeing them at all. He even added to the story that on the back of the blister card were toy versions of the Aston Martin and a volcano base (You Only Live Twice). He carried on with this lie forever and claimed he even saw them at a K-Mart in Pennsylvania. When I asked him why he didn't have mom buy them for me, he said he never thought to ask her. These days I still mock him about the lie but he still claims it was true. Of course, it wasn't.
                    Scott

Comment

• fallensaviour
                      Talkative Member
                      • Aug 28, 2006

Back when we were kids a friend of mine said he had an 8 inch mego Banner that when you shook him he changed green an turned into the hulk.I had no choice but to believe him because he was one of these kids that had every WGSH there was.He could never show me though cause he didn't like the hulk so he made his mom take it back and trade it for another one.Yeah right!!!
                      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• goldenryan
                        coy member
                        • Jul 13, 2007

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                        Oh, I have a good one.
                        There was this kid in my village that sounds a lot like the kids in the stories listed here already. One that just needed to lie to impress or gain friends or nobody would play with him.
                        Well, my sister and my best friend and I always kind of hung out together and one day this kid comes by and starts telling his fibs.
                        This was just after the original Star Wars figures came out in 1977.
                        Well, all 3 of us wanted them so this kid, Brian Wagner, told us that his brother worked at the factory where they made them and for us to tell him which figures we wanted and he would have his brother get them for us FOR FREE!
                        So we were all excited and waited....and waited....and waited....
                        Well one day we confronted Brian; "Where are our Star Wars figures you promised us?".
                        This is the good part...LOL
                        Well, it seems that the plane that the Star Wars figures were on crashed and he couldn't get them for us now!
                        We knew he was full of spit at that point and figured him for a fabricator after that. We didn't really play with him too much, especially after that.
                        Of course maybe had we been a little more in-the-know, we would have realized that these figures were probably made in Hong Kong or somewhere like that and of course his brother (if he even HAD a brother??LOL) couldn't possibly have worked there. But the plane crash story was just so classic! LOL
                        My sister and I still laugh about that to this day.

Rich
                        i hope no one died in that plane crash.

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • May 18, 2007

Reading these again brings back great memories. It's amazing that almost all of us had these liars as schoolmates and neighbors as kids.

Another guy, Mike N., claimed to not only have a Mego Green Lantern but that it talked! He said he recited his oath if you put his power ring in the lantern battery that was also included.

Another kid, Kyle K., claimed to have a superhero figure called The Cobra that had all sorts of cool weapons. This turned out to be more of an exageration than a lie. What he really had was a Marx Sam Cobra figure that he pretended was a superhero!

We also had a kid who claimed to have a motorized version of the Batmobile he could ride in and that fired smoke and missles! Some of us showed up at his house one day after school and gave him a practicle demonstration of why it's bad to lie when he couldn't produce it. Our methods were much more effective than Fat Albert's songs!
                          - Sweep

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                            Removed.
                            • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by goldenryan
                            i hope no one died in that plane crash.
                            Well, also I'm sure the toy companies weren't in the habit of flying their cargo from Hong kong either.

Rich

Comment

• goldenryan
                              coy member
                              • Jul 13, 2007

i remember when x-men around 1992? first came out havok was on the package but they never made a figure of him of course they didn't stop people from saying they had him.

Comment

• Action Martin
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 30, 2007

But we eventually got him as a Toyfare exclusive in the late 90s.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎