• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thor
    Thunder God
    • Dec 17, 2009

Rom SpaceKnight

Rom, Spaceknight Action Figure

Does anyone remember Rom? He had a popular comics series back in the 80's but the character was based on this electronic figure. I've had this toy for around 30 years and he still works he's missing a few accessories but 30 years is a looong time.
    sigpic

"I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

- Roy Batty
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

I read the Rom comics and saw the ads for the toy, but I can honestly say that I never saw it for sale anywhere, nor have I ever seen one excepting in photos.

Comment

• TrueDave
      Toy Maker
      • Jan 12, 2008

I saw his ads in the comic which i read for a while.

I was really surprised to find out later technically he was a GI Joe! ( kinda sorta related)

I think he's due for ( my favorite words) AUTHENTIC REPRODUCTION!

Comment

• Bionic Joe
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 10, 2006

Never saw an actual ROM action figure but i rember the comic book ads and the Marvel comic which is still a good read but i believe the toy cameout around 78 or 79 and i was no longer in to toys at that point had he came out in 75 or 76 i proably would have wanted one

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

LOVE the comic, never had the figure and one I finally saw one I was kinda surprised how pudgy he looks. He's a character that NEEDS an 8" figure.

Don C.

Comment

• Thor
            Thunder God
            • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by ctc
            Hmmmm....

LOVE the comic, never had the figure and one I finally saw one I was kinda surprised how pudgy he looks. He's a character that NEEDS an 8" figure.

Don C.
            I wished they would have made a Marvel Legends version of him. The toy didn't sell well because of his limited articulation. Considering he has better articulation that the average transformer from 5 years later is a plus. He is a bit too fragile to rough house with by modern standards.
            sigpic

- Roy Batty

Comment

• MightyMegs
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 5, 2009

Originally posted by Thor
              I wished they would have made a Marvel Legends version of him. The toy didn't sell well because of his limited articulation. Considering he has better articulation that the average transformer from 5 years later is a plus. He is a bit too fragile to rough house with by modern standards.
              The last I heard, Marvel and Hasbro (owners of Parker Brothers who made the toy), were in a tug-of- war over who owns the character. Apparently, Hasbro wants to put out an action figure line...

Comment

• Orion
                Museum Night Watchman
                • Mar 11, 2008

I remember seeing commercials for the toy when I was growing up. Not sure if this is the one I saw, but pretty good back story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFvrEQKdjw
                Of course, after seeing the commercials, I wanted one. But hey, I was a kid, I wanted everything I saw. Never got him.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                  Invincible Ironing Man
                  • Feb 28, 2008

A very cool figure, and on my wantlist.
                  Try scouting for that one on Ebay: all you get is computer stuff....
                  "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• R.O.M.
                    • Jun 30, 2009

Yeah, I remember him.......

I'll snap a picture of mine tomorrow. He still works and has all 3 accessories. I was actually about to bring him to my local toy store to sell, but if anyone is interested, lmk. Good timing on checking the boards here, I guess!

Comment

• VintageMike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2004

I knew a kid down the block who had one. It was cool looking but with no villian to fight only so much you could do with him. I did like th ecomics series though. The ownership breaks down pretty much the same way it does with Marve//Micronauts. Marvel owns everything they created. Which basically includes the entire comic universe of ROM. Hasbro owns ROM himself.

Comment

• Thor
                        Thunder God
                        • Dec 17, 2009

I wonder what a modern electronic version would look like. I'm sure he would have better articulation and a several more sound and play options.
                        sigpic

- Roy Batty

Comment

• Captain
                          Fighting the good fight!
                          • Jun 17, 2001

I was more than disappointed when I first saw ROM in a toy store display. He looked horrible, nothing like the comic book.
                          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Thor
                            Thunder God
                            • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Captain
                            I was more than disappointed when I first saw ROM in a toy store display. He looked horrible, nothing like the comic book.
                            I agree, he only resembled the comic version in a abstract way. Then again the old TFs didn't resemble the toon/comic versions and that didn't get in my way at all. Rom should have been a silver color not some dull gray. He should have been a bit more bulky in build but I chalk that to technology limits. Besides if the comics Rom looked like the actual Toy I don't think the comic would have lasted as long as it did.
                            sigpic

- Roy Batty

Comment

• R.O.M.
                              • Jun 30, 2009

A boxed one just sold on eBay for $157-

ROM the SPACEKNIGHT Toy with BONUS Comic Book vintage - eBay (item 270504446898 end time Dec-23-09 18:10:04 PST)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎