X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hizzy
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 1, 2023

What is the best Batcave?

The Pocket Superheroes Batcave Playset on ebay got me thinking - What is the best Batcave made by any toy company? Given the high profile of Batman, I can't think of any definitive version of the Batcave. There are some iconic figures and vehicles, but a lack of playsets. Is it because it's in a cave? Is that hard to reproduce?
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

I think the Wayne Foundation from Mego might be the best Batcave. The box says Wayne Foundation I know and there are no Batpoles. But the interior illustrations are all pure 60s Batcave art. The Dinosaur and garage and giant penny are all classic Batcave elements and the sheer size with the “working elevator” all make this the Uber Batcave. Second place is the FTC 66Batcave. All the good stuff of the old Mego Batcave with the 66 art. Third place is the Ideal Batcave for the plastic playset pieces. Batcave and Copter I think. Nuclear pile and it closes up as a carry case. Great for travel and those times when you are going shopping for clothes and it takes forever and there is nothing for a five to seven year old kid to do. Fourth is the Mego Batcave. It’s …ok. The art could have been more colorful. As it is it’s kind of all blendy. It was years before I even noticed it had a batboat picture. The Batcomputer was underwhelming. Next to the WF Batcomputer this was kinda terrible. The Batsignal was awesome no lie. Fifth place was the 1989 Batcave. It stayed the same for twenty years with color changes and different decals but still the same basic configuration. I was 22 when this movie came out so all the later Batcaves I have to bow out from since those were made for different species. Millennials and Zoomers.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
      Career Member
      • Jun 8, 2015

Umm... This one!!!!

I was short a few 'BoB' on this one.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I never had the Wayne Foundation, but I think I'd love it. My nostalgia for Mego's Batcave aside, the Batcave Command Center playset made by Kenner/Hasbro and even Mattel in various forms is an awesome playset, and looks fantastic on a shelf, no matter which side you decide to display it on. I have the original Batman Returns version like this one. My son had a later New Batman Adventures iteration.

s-l500.jpg
        sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

If only we'd gotten this Super Powers Batcave from Kenner!

Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jun 10, '24, 9:23 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

That SuperPowers Batplane looks like it was made from Micronauts pieces.

Comment

• hizzy
              Museum Super Collector
              • Apr 1, 2023

The Batcave Command Center is really nice. I see it has many color schemes. I was looking at my Boulder Hill playset and I'm so surprised that we didn't get anything of that grandeur for Batman.

I would love to get a reissue of the Wayne Foundation, with modern materials and some new extras. That is a great playset, imo.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

This one is a bit nice, not as nice as the JLA set above.

This is the incredibly Rare 1995 Scooter Reproduction of the - 1966 Ideal Official Batman Playset -. Watch "1966 Ideal Official Batman Playset #BatmanToys #Superman #Joker #DC" on YouTube. It would really be the centerpiece to most Batman collections.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

As a kid, I liked to imagine that the bottom floor of my Wayne foundation was actually the Batcave with the upper floors being Wayne Manor. If I had been more crafty, I would have figured out a way to install batpoles going from floor 2 to 1. I even though they could be hidden inside the blue bookcase/file cabinet that came with the playset.

Had I actually done that, that would've have been the best bat cave playset ever! Maybe I can figure out a way to attach my Wayne Foundation to my Mego Batcave. WAIT... just had an epiphany using an Ikea shelving unit and a power handsaw!
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

While I have both Mego Batcave/Wayne Foundation, there wasn't much to play with. (not my sets)
                    mego batcave.jpg wayne foundation 1.jpg

since I have moved over to Super Powers I have discovered the Superman VS Batman Batcave offered more play parts.
                    batcave superman vs batman.webp

or the transforming Batcave
                    batcave transformes.webp transform batcave.jpg
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰