X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

Popy GA-65 Ohgon Bat (The Golden Bat) 黄金バット

There is something so magical about receiving a shipment from Japan​.

I’ve been wanting this chogokin for quite some time; not because I knew anything about the character, but because it’s probably the creepiest Popy piece I’ve ever seen.

After doing some research, I found out that the Golden Bat may be the first Super Hero! His first appearance was in 1931 in Kamishibai ( a traditional form of Japanese storytelling that uses large color pictures to accompany a dramatic narration on street corners.) This predates The Phantom by 5 years and Superman by 7.

From top left, counter-clockwise: Image from the earliest surviving kamishibai (1931), illustrated book version (1947), Toei film version (1966)
    Popy went with the 1947 “Musketeer” version.

This video pretty much explains it all..maybe too much.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Amazingly clean figure, JB! There was a Sofubi of him at Super Festival. I inquired about the price, but it was stupid expensive. Would really love a vinyl of this guy.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Such a wonderfully macabre toy. I knew of the basic character, but thanks also for the video link--I particularly liked the Korean version.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        thanks also for the video link--I particularly liked the Korean version.
        Love these YouTube comments

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• KnightDetective
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 31, 2012

This scratched an itch for me. I've long wanted to see the 1966 Toei film and was excited to see it listed on a recent streaming schedule. Sadly, as is often the case on the Amazon live schedule, some other movie aired instead.

I'll consider this a most welcome consolation prize. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎