X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Apes by the Truck Load

1974 saw the deluge of Apechandise as evidenced by this great newspaper ad, with the cancellation of the series in 1975 would see this stuff go on clearance.

When I started toy collecting in the early eighties, you could find discounted Apes merchandise in almost every convience store in Toronto, it was a good time to be alive.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

I still want that damn game!! I never got it and craved it as a kid. I think it was constantly on my Christmas list.
    I also have a soft spot for those canned puzzles. I still have one glued on cardboard but sadly no longer have the can.
    ...someday...<sigh>
    Rich

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
      I still want that damn game!! I never got it and craved it as a kid. I think it was constantly on my Christmas list.
      I also have a soft spot for those canned puzzles. I still have one glued on cardboard but sadly no longer have the can.
      ...someday...<sigh>
      Rich
      Rich, I bought the game about a year ago. I too had one of the puzzle cans, but I am no longer in possession of either the puzzle or the can. Every time I see it on Ebay I am tempted. Tempted, I tell you...
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• kryptosmaster
        Removed.
        • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by jessica
        Rich, I bought the game about a year ago. I too had one of the puzzle cans, but I am no longer in possession of either the puzzle or the can. Every time I see it on Ebay I am tempted. Tempted, I tell you...
        Yeah, I tried a few times on ebay but I don't feel the puzzles are worth what some people are asking for them or they always seem to be buy-it-now auctions or they can't verify if all the pieces are there. As for the game, they are either incomplete, trashed or go way more than I feel like spending. One day they will be mine! LOL
        They also made some puzzles in boxes with the same puzzles as the cans.
        Rich

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I think the series, and the franchise, would have fared MUCH better had the series been a Saturday morning program. 8pm, Fridays was a good time slot, but I just think kids would have swarmed to the show, Cap'n Crunch in bowl. The movies had already headed in a more kid-oriented direction.

Heck, I don't really remember the series, but I remember wanting Ape stuff well into the 70's. I think kids still dug the Apes stuff. If I had had a Saturday morning promotional pushing me...
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I think I have some articles relating to the series cancellation and kids were tuning in, in droves. Adults however, could not resist the siren song of Redd Foxx...
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I can remember walking through a JC Penny, of all places, and seeing racks of them on sale like that ad suggests. For a time you could get Mego Apes for next to nothing. That's sad considering their place in the Mego history books. Always have loved the stuff.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

man everything looks so good
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Wee67
                  I think the series, and the franchise, would have fared MUCH better had the series been a Saturday morning program. 8pm, Fridays was a good time slot, but I just think kids would have swarmed to the show, Cap'n Crunch in bowl. The movies had already headed in a more kid-oriented direction.

Heck, I don't really remember the series, but I remember wanting Ape stuff well into the 70's. I think kids still dug the Apes stuff. If I had had a Saturday morning promotional pushing me...
                  There was a Saturday morning series: Return to the Planet of the Apes.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                    Live Long and Prosper
                    • Mar 23, 2008

Those prices are killing me. I wish I could find some POTA stuff that low. Me want
                    Sammy

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by apes3978
                      There was a Saturday morning series: Return to the Planet of the Apes.
                      I didn't know about this series. Wiki says it was animated and changed the Planet to reflect more the origianl book (with cars, TV's and more technology). Is it possible that's what turned kids off? Or maybe the shows had simply run their course. I just remember really liking the Apes merch through most of my childhood. I'm surpirsed I wouldn't have been attracted to the live-action show, but I think it was on past my bed time
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• tay666
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 27, 2008

I remember watching the TV series every week. Think it was on Friday night if I remember correctly.

And I watched the Saturday morning cartoon series also.

Loved Apes back then.
                        Even had some of the Addar model kits.

Speaking of the POTA model kits.
                        Anyone have any idea what Marvel magazines this ad appeared in?

I want to get one of the magazines for my collection of prehistoric scenes ads. Instead of buying just the ad from the guy selling it on ebay.
                        The ad is magazine sized, comes from 1974 and seems to be Marvel oriented.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                          Removed.
                          • Jun 14, 2008

If it's from a Marvel mag there were plenty of them back then to choose from. But could it be from another mag such as Famous Monsters or something like that?

Rich

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure it's a Marvel magazine, as the coupon was to mailed to Marvel Comics Group, Merchandising Department.
                            Though I could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎