Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tigertail777
    • Mar 18, 2009

help remembering a toy and a game

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone knew of these two: the first was this plastic greeting card maker thing. It was pink and brown and had these pink plastic "etching" sheets you could place in a tray, there were 2 or 3 that would fit in the tray so you could mix them up for different combinations then you put paper over the sheets and pulled down the plastic frame over it. Then you took a little plastic holder thing that held a crayon sideways and rub over the paper and it would etch/rub the picture onto the paper for an instant greeting card. There was a side drawer in the tray that held I think 12 plates each double sided and all of them were holidays, or birthday sort of stuff. I believe it was from the 80's or late 70's, I really enjoyed this simple little toy and it is probably one of the things that started me down the road to graphic design I would love to get another one just to see the illustrations again.

The game I am trying to recall was some kind of board game with a plastic shark on it that had a balloon in its mouth, and when you landed on a certain spot you had to turn the handle (I think the sharks fin) and its jaws would tighten down. You were shipwreck survivors or something like that and the goal was to get to the island before the shark chomped too hard on the balloon causing it to explode and sending your playing pieces flying. I want to say it is from the mid 70's but not sure.

Any help from you toy detectives is appreciated. Thanks.
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

The first one sounds like some kind of version of Fashion Plates except for making cards instead of designing outfits?
    Never heard of the second one.
    Rich

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

this?
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• tigertail777
        • Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for the replies, it was very close to the same idea but it was for greeting cards. Might have been made by the same company though, who made this mighty men and monster maker toy?

Comment

• tigertail777
          • Mar 18, 2009

I just found out the name: "Great Greetings" made by Tomy very much in the same vein as "fashion plates", "Little Van Go's", and the above "Mighty Men and Monster Maker". But I still cannot find any pictures or any other information.

Comment

• daffy213
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 3, 2003

Mighty Men & Monster Maker:
            One of the few toys that I had back in the day that never made its way to a yard sale. Wonder if mom just liked it and thus kept it or if it just never sold
            I Reject Your Reality and Substitute My Own....

Comment

• vulcan2074
              Live Long and Prosper
              • Mar 23, 2008

I remember having the Mighty Men & Monster Maker. I totally forgot the name. I loved using it. It was so much fun. I just might have to keep a lookout for it
              Sammy

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎