Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

One thing I do know for sure because I have records is the toy line got to market a little late but sold really well while the show was on the air. When the show went off the air, it just rotted on the vine.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
      To Fear is Not Logical...
      • Feb 17, 2008

One thing I do know for sure because I have records is the toy line got to market a little late
      Hi Brian, I'm curious on that statement. Was there a difference between US and Canada, because I remember seeing the first wave of figures and the ships in a big display at Montgomery Wards in the summer of 1978.
      It's all good!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Well in Canada we got the movie earlier but I misspoke, Mattel got the license late, so they scrambled a bit. I was once they didn't even have a lot of reference material when they began.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Captain
          Fighting the good fight!
          • Jun 17, 2001

Not sure about all the Hatch stories, but I do know a Apollo figure was in the planning stages. I've seen an apollo card, although it had a Starbuk figure on it....I've mentioned this before in the old days, but I'll say it again for the new folks. We used to have a bookstore here in town that used to also sell toys...usually oddball stuff you never got to see anywhere else, and I'm convinced the owner used to buy from a source that liquidated stock directly from the toy manufacturers, and their Canadian offices. In short, sales samples and that sort of thing.

I bought a Land Ram here, saw the Galactica (wanted it too, but it was pricey and Mom said no). The Apollo carded Starbuck (never thought at the time it would be worth anything...I wanted an Apollo figure...not yet another Starbuk!). they also had a lot of the Canadian re-packaged Karl May Mattel stuff (which no one else out here carried)...and other odds and ends. Odd little figurines and such, which I later learned were from Europe.

I miss this old store. got bought out by Coles years ago. We used to have a privately owned Drug store that carried a lot of Marx and corgi stuff too. the old guy that owned it was a toy nut, but when he died, Shoppers Drug Mart took over, and out went the toys!!
          "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• SexySkottie
            • Oct 29, 2007

wow...a 3.75" scale viper would've been awesome.
            Any one got a pic of the apollo carded starbuck?

I'm not much of a reader, just learned from my wife that Starbuck was Capt Ahab's 1st mate in Moby Dick!
            sigpic Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic!

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

I've only ever seen the one Apollo card, and never heard of any others. I have a feeling it was a mockup card/sales sample of some sort. I can clearly recall the Richard Hatch drawing on the front, he was sort of smiling laughing, and was wearing a brown jacket.
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎