X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

MegoMeet/Powercon thoughts

So after several weeks of decompression, family tragedy, work stuff and just general mental fatigue, I can finally post my thoughts of our experience.

1. PowerCon, as a whole, was a pretty fantastic show. I know what it was in the beginning, a MOTU-centric event, but it's clearly become so much more. The sheer amount of vintage toys available was far better than any toy show I've been to in the last several years. Completely unexpected and totally welcomed. There was a great variety to be found between vendors and manufacturers, always something new to see. The Friday half-day opening was insanely busy, Saturday died off a little and Sunday was a ghost town for the most part. I'm not a fan of large crowds, but this was mostly manageable.

2. The Mego placement at the show at first seemed off-putting. We were against a wall towards the back like we had the kids card table in the corner at Thanksgiving. Turns out it was necessary in order to keep us all together as a grouping, so it did work out quite well. Given the primary demographic of the show we were still mostly an oddity as few people were familiar with the Mego brand outside of recent offerings the last few years. I did, however, meet a lot of new, non-Mego people. That was great.

3. As fractured as the community has been in recent years, it was extra refreshing to see our group again. I guess it's been four years? It was like no time had passed at all, just diving into conversations. I think we're all a little greyer, but essentially the same. It was also really great to meet some long-time Mego Museum members that were first time attendees. Bryce(newlyknighted) was long overdue to show up, and I'm fairly certain he had a blast. It was fantastic meeting you.

4. The venue is crazy large. I think from my hotel room to my booth was a literal half mile of corridors and hallways. Just massive! I got turned around more than once coming and going. I also got some steps in.

5. I feel like this show was a good first step in moving forward to heal wounds and bring our Mego family closer together. We were missing a lot this year, and it was felt. Perhaps moving forward, on our own devices, we'll once again flourish. That might be overly optimistic on my part, but that's kinda how I saw the weekend...a nice first step.

It was a super positive but exhausting weekend. If we're able to do this independently next Summer we certainly have built a foundation upon which to build that show.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Well put, Scott!

I know I've put aside most of my grudges. I'm getting a lot grayer and long in the tooth to be hanging onto petty grudges. I'm happy to be a part of this community, and happy that the members of said community welcome me and are happy to see me again.

I no longer want to deprive myself of things I enjoy simply because of some years old ****ing match that has zero meaning.

It was good seeing you again. Thanks for supporting my custom! Please clear some space in your inbox, as there is some business to conduct vis a vis Ultraman Zero and Miss America!
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

All clear on the PM front. I had no idea I'd accumulated that many.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

It was great to see you. Let's do it again next year.

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

I kept finding myself drawn to the Super 7 booth. I didn't buy anything from them, but wanted all of their Godzilla and Power Rangers ReActions.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

I had a great time. I'll always try to go to Mego Meet in any form it takes.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Mego Milk
              Custom Mego Maker
              • Jun 3, 2007

aw yeah man.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

It was great seeing everyone again.
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home