X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Kids custom figure Experience to MM '23

In the Wheeling days of Mego Meet we had a customs contest. Members cranked out high end custom figures during the meet. There was a traveling statue that was awarded along with other prizes.

But kids would also contribute. Eventually, we dropped the adult contest and the kids shared the trophy and received the prizes.
    It is one of the things that makes the meet fun - not just for the handful of kids making the customer, but for everyone who interacts with them as they seek out pats and advice.

It is a contest, but it is more than that. This is and Experience.

It is a fun way to experience Mego Meet. It is a great way to experience art. It is a great way to experience the love of Mego.

My daughter and former participant Lily and I will be organizing. We will only be at the meet on Sunday this year.

The way it works:

Be a kid (not just one at heart) and be at mego meet. There is no official registration. Just do it.

Start and finish the figure(s) between the start of the meet and 3:00 Sunday. -yes, you can work on it outside of the meet in the evenings and mornings.

Get all items for your figure at the meet.
    There is a rumor that one body will be provided for each kid.
    Go around to vendors and buy parts. (Historically there are frequently 50-100% discounts from dealers for kid customizers. Just let them know you are doing the contest)
    Work with others building for more fun.

Present your finished figure to me by 3:00 Sunday. (If a kid won't be there Sunday, give it to someone you trust to present -I'll mail it to you later).

There will be a winner announced - But ALL participants will receive really cool prizes!!!

More than one entry per kid is permitted.

If you have questions or cont find us, text me (614)267-7626 -Brue
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Wonderful idea, Brue--glad it is continuing.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I am contributing a big box of clothes, heads and parts for the kiddos. We'll have it at our table.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bronxboykev
        Permanent Member
        • Mar 7, 2011

This is Awesome of you and Lily... Hopefully we will be able to help out the kids in some way

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

So glad to hear this will be happening with this version of MM. Very sorry that Cip and I will not be able to attend this year, but maybe he is out of the 'kid' range now. Wonderful memories of hanging out in the Suite and creating customs over the years. Hopefully we will get to see some pics of the kids work when the dust clears.

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by rche
            So glad to hear this will be happening with this version of MM. Very sorry that Cip and I will not be able to attend this year, but maybe he is out of the 'kid' range now. Wonderful memories of hanging out in the Suite and creating customs over the years. Hopefully we will get to see some pics of the kids work when the dust clears.
            Originally posted by rche
            super happy to know this tradition is continuing.
            Looking forward to some great pictures of the kids creations.
            it was hard to get going. I only attended Sunday It was in a shared environment not just mego meet. It was different.

But everything came together. We had 10 participants -on par with previous years.

Participants and their parents seemed very pleased.

Steve Moore (and Brian Heiler) provided bodies and most of the parts. Many others threw in parts and prizes.

I scraped together a less than bare minimum craft supplies (I should have brought some. but forgot).

Lily sat at the table and help participants.

My other daughter (16) Eleanor made the long 7 minute trip to Mego Meet with thanks to Bill McFarland. She participated and helped facilitate. Due to relationship to the judges, we agreed she would be assigned 10th place.

All kids except 1 took their figure and a prize home. We couldn't locate 1 girl :(

The winner and runner up and Ed Nagy's family didn't want the responsibility of returning the trophy, so it went to tenth place Eleanor to display, keep safe and return.

Hope to see you next year.
            Last edited by Brue; Nov 5, '23, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎