X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

POTA Astronaut

I recently needed a third Astronaut helmet, but I didn't want to spend $50-$75 for one on eBay. So, I bought a MIB Action Jackson Air Force outfit for $35. This morning I made a post about it in a Facebook group and a group member asked me about the helmet. He said that AJ Air Force helmets are smooth on the inside while Astronaut helmets have a track on the inside to hold the helmet tighter to the head. I checked and the AJ helmet is smooth. Then I checked my T-1 Astronaut's helmet, and it was smooth and my T-2 has the track. The Museum doesn't differentiate between the helmets and just says that they are the same. My guess is that the Astronaut came with both styles of helmet.

Can anyone clarify this?
    Last edited by Action Martin; Sep 16, '23, 11:25 AM.
    Scott
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

This is very interesting, I like production minutiae. My guess is that T1 used leftover AJ helmets and by the time T2s were produced, the helmet had a revised production run.

It's hard to say for certain, who knows what was laying around the HK factory?
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Last edited by Confessional; Sep 20, '23, 9:47 AM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

So the fins are for the smaller Astro head? (I always think of that sculpt as the proper "Don".)
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Confessional
          Ape rifles are flexible, AJ are not.
          I'm so glad you wrote this! I have a "hard" rifle that is stamped "Mego" and wondered about it.
          Scott

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Last edited by Confessional; Sep 20, '23, 9:47 AM.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Action Martin
              I'm so glad you wrote this! I have a "hard" rifle that is stamped "Mego" and wondered about it.
              I remember one of my Soldier Apes came with a hard plastic rifle- That sticks in my head all these years later because I remember being quite peeved that the tip of his rifle broke off.

Comment

• Action Martin
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 30, 2007

My AJ Army and Aussie Marine boxed sets that I bought sealed in 2007-2008 came with flexible rifles. I still have them displayed.
                Last edited by Action Martin; Sep 17, '23, 10:44 AM.
                Scott

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

Memories and the rare/uncommon factory anomalies aside, the remaining carded/boxed/sealed specimens that exist are pretty conclusive.

Some collectors want accuracy, some mix and match… either way, play with your toys and have fun.

Comment

• Action Martin
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Action Martin
                    My AJ Army and Aussie Marine boxed sets that I bought sealed in 2007-2008 came with flexible rifles. I still have them displayed.
                    I believe my hard rifle may have come with my AJ Ski Patrol outfit. I don't recall if I bought that one sealed or not.
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎