X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

Dr. Zaius 1974

I'm not going to get into the "Why did Mego make Dr. Zaius' outfit white (beige, if you prefer) with brown fur cuffs and not an orange outfit and fur?"

My curiosity is more towards "Why did Mego give Dr. Zaius knee length pants instead of leggings, like those that Cornelius and Soldier Ape had?"
    Scott
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Perhaps the knit wouldn't coordinate with the twill? Cost/fabric sourcing? IDK, I'm still trying to figure out new Mego's Rocketeer pants, too.

I like his breeches but their length is annoying--I wish Mego had constructed them like CHiPs pants, with an integrated sock. So, I added vintage Jean Lafitte stockings to my Zaius--they're off-white, long enough to tuck into the breeches, and the boots still fit well.

Similarly, my Zira wears Uhura tights under her skirt.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Perhaps the knit wouldn't coordinate with the twill?
      That didn't occur to me.

But, yes, socks would help make the boots fit better.
      Scott

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

If you have extra Klingon/gorilla tights, you could make high socks (to the top of the knee joint). Cut them off and throw a stitch at the cut seam-end to keep it from unravelling.

Put the socks on first, then slide the breeches up--this is much easier than trying to tuck the sock in.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I made my own version of a more screen accurate Dr. Zaius. Even with the differences in the materials, I dig it.

20231118_173458.jpg
          Scott

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by Action Martin
            Just to satisfy my curiosity, I made my own version of a more screen accurate Dr. Zaius. Even with the differences in the materials, I dig it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36485[/ATTACH]
            It does look really cool, maybe a bit of too much orange? but it came out very nice. How does it look with the black hieroglyphics boots?

Comment

• Action Martin
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by TrekStar
              It does look really cool, maybe a bit of too much orange? but it came out very nice. How does it look with the black hieroglyphics boots?
              Thank you. I didn't try it with the black boots. I just used brown gloved hands and brown glyph boots.

20231111_110339.jpg
              Scott

Comment

• apes3978
                Permanent Member
                • Nov 19, 2005

Thank you. I didn't try it with the black boots. I just used brown gloved hands and brown glyph boots.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36504[/ATTACH]
                The way you decked him out makes his outfit look a lot more like the "Forbidden Zone Manhunt" outfit as seen in PLANET than the white/beige Mego put him in.

I like the design of the original Mego Zaius outfit, I just wish they had went with a shade of orange, and had the material that is brown be some sort of orange vinyl/pleather to give it the look of leather.
                Last edited by apes3978; Nov 25, '23, 4:19 AM.

Comment

• Action Martin
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
                  The way you decked him out makes his outfit look a lot more like the "Forbidden Zone Manhunt" outfit as seen in PLANET than the white/beige Mego put him in.
                  That was my plan. I may remove the fur from the cuffs to make it look more accurate. I just don't want to have frayed cuffs.

Originally posted by apes3978
                  I like the design of the original Mego Zaius outfit, I just wish they had went with a shade of orange, and had the material that is brown be some sort of orange vinyl/pleather to give it the look of leather.
                  I can't believe they didn't use orange from the start. Brown pleather would be a great accent for the jacket.
                  Scott

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 29, 2018

Didn’t the model kits have him in blue as well? There needs to be a blue option as well.

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Megotastrophe; Feb 24, '24, 7:24 AM.

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 30, 2007

I added an accessory.

428645877_10227466505661802_5366845593772492762_n.jpg
                      Scott

Comment

• apes3978
                        Permanent Member
                        • Nov 19, 2005

Love the accessory.
                        Last edited by apes3978; Feb 28, '24, 5:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎