X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJ-Paratrooper
    Museum Patron
    • Mar 1, 2008

Mego Repair Observations

I got 4 AJs from ebay within the last week! All were totally 100% used, some totally trashed, and I didn't pay that much for them. Each and every one of them smelled like it came from "Grandma's House", which I guess is the famous "Mego musty smell". Each one needed a repair of some kind. Some had taped on bodyparts. A few observations:

1. What I thought were dog bites or some kid poking his Mego with a hot paper clip, must have actually been a mold problem when the toy was made. A couple of them have pretty bad imperfections.

2. When you wash an old AJ in mild diswashing detergent and water, he really brightens up. I believe the heads I washed may have degrayed themselves a bit just from soaking in warm soapy water. Maybe this is just my imagination but I doubt it.

3. Fortunately, restringing the plastic jointed Type O bodies is easier than lacing up boots!

4. And last but not least....if you've got kids, and they've seen the AJ commercials from youtube....give it up! There's no way you're going to be able to resist giving that "little man in the world of adventure" to a youngster!

Megos were the most awesome toys!!!
    DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by AJ-Paratrooper
    2. When you wash an old AJ in mild diswashing detergent and water, he really brightens up. I believe the heads I washed may have degrayed themselves a bit just from soaking in warm soapy water. Maybe this is just my imagination but I doubt it.
    Sometimes when you wash up an old MEGO figure's head, what appeared to have been "greying" ws actually just dirt all along...

Comment

• AJ-Paratrooper
      Museum Patron
      • Mar 1, 2008

Originally posted by apes3978
      Sometimes when you wash up an old MEGO figure's head, what appeared to have been "greying" ws actually just dirt all along...

Yes, I believe you are right.

It also just occured to me that the Megos (and a lot of toys from the '70s) did have a unique plastic smell that was really noticable right upon opening the package.

I can faintly still detect it on some of the ones we just bought. Ahh, the smell of a new action figure....
      DO AND DARE! HE'S EVERYWHERE!

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎