X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megotastic
    Museum Super Collector
    • Oct 18, 2012

POTA Urko Ursus- whats the truth

i see online there is a lot of differing views of wether the ape in the hat is Urko or Ursus and if the black headed is the same.

im just wondering what the general concensus on this is- for me the one in the hat was always urko he was sold as Urko in the uk, and from what i can gather from this site he was released as Urko first then changed to Ursus for his third release

the other figure was apparently sold as ursus for the first two releases and Urko for the third

so the helmeted ape is called Urko more -is this right? its just i saw some mego commecials on you tube that say the helmeted one is ursus - and im confused because a commercial is usually connected to the release of something new rather than the third release?????
    Last edited by megotastic; Jan 14, '13, 12:45 PM.
  • megotastic
    Museum Super Collector
    • Oct 18, 2012

also
    the helmeted figure in the purple pants- is that ment to be urko from the tv series and cartoon- or ursus from beneath- lol.

Comment

• scifiguy94
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 18, 2009

I remember when I recieved these as a kid, the helmet General was in Urko package and the non helmet was packaged as Ursus so that's how I've always referenced them.

Comment

• scoth70
        Persistent Member
        • Oct 17, 2008

more help on this

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

For me, Urko has the helmet and Ursus does not.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• warlock664
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 15, 2009

I concur with everyone so far:

Helmeted = Urko
            Non-helmeted = Ursus

Comment

• piecemaker
              There's no need to fear..
              • Jan 26, 2009

I've always associated the Helmeted ape as General Ursus from Beneath the Planet of the Apes and the Non -helmeted as General Urko from the tv series.I never seen these packaged as a kid and the Helmeted Ursus from Beneath, being the first i saw,thats what he was always called by me.

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

When I bought a carded POTA figure that was labelled "General Ursus" as a kid, it was the helmeted one, so that's the one that will always be Ursus to me.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

To me,Urko is the one with the Helmet. I'm going by what was said in the cartoon. Throw in the fact the Mexican version looks like him as well(minus the pants)

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

Mego's packaging confusion aside, if you're a fan of the films, James Gregory's infamous portrayal of General Ursus (BTPOTA - 1970) sets the standard for battlecore gorillas.

The General wore a very unique killer helmet, and everything else followed…
                    Last edited by Confessional; Jan 16, '13, 1:19 AM.

Comment

• tllgn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 6, 2010

as a kid ,i wanted general ursus ,the mego commercial says its the one with the helmet,when i got one in 1975 ,the card said its name was urko,but
                      since i got both urko and ursus at the time,i just thought they goofed and said ursus was urko on the card ,i didnt know they actually switched names.
                      but to me the commercial was right,and when i talk to collectors today i have to remined myself that its the other way around.that ursus is urko.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by Confessional
                        Mego's packaging confusion aside, if you're a fan of the films, James Gregory's infamous portrayal of General Ursus (BTPOTA - 1970) sets the standard for battlecore gorillas.

The General wore a very unique killer helmet, and everything else followed…
                        Couldn't agree more. He made that character, and the film IMHO.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

And what about Aldo?

I guess we need to keep in mind that POTA wave 2 was TV-based. (Was there even an Ursus on the TV series?)
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Confessional
                            James Gregory's infamous portrayal of General Ursus (BTPOTA - 1970) sets the standard for battlecore gorillas.
                            While I agree with this, that BENEATH's General Ursus is the ultimate warrior Gorilla, as far as what the others have said regarding the MEGO figures, I'm with those who said they regard the helmeted one as Urko, and the unhelmeted one as Ursus...

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            I guess we need to keep in mind that POTA wave 2 was TV-based. (Was there even an Ursus on the TV series?)
                            No, there never was an Ursus on the TV series...

This is a guess, and only a guess, but "maybe" some of MEGO's name confusion comes from that fact that before the TV series went into production, the lead Gorilla was initially going to be called Ursus...

Another guess for the reason they used the name Ursus with the second wave of figures: "Maybe" MEGO had the rights to use the name Ursus with the first wave of figures but didn't and since they had the rights to use the Ursus name, maybe they just went ahead and used it with the second wave? (Again, this is purely a guess with nothing to back it up...)
                            Last edited by apes3978; Feb 12, '13, 4:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎