• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Dear Santa… Batcave Gift Set?!

What do you guys make of this?

On page 148 ("1975 - Ancillary Toys") of my book, I mention a minor Mego mystery:

"Perhaps looking to entice buyers, the Bat Lab was offered separately or as a "Gift Set" which would include Batman and Robin figures. A similar offer was made for the Batcave [In 1975], except the Batcave would have also included Joker and Penguin. It is unknown if the Gift Sets were ever produced; none of the catalog houses offered either set, and no specimens have surfaced."

Here is the only mention of Batman-related Gift Sets that I am aware of, as they appeared in the 1975 Mego catalog:

Recently, while perusing vintage "Dear Santa…" letters submitted to local newspapers, I came across this letter to the North Pole, sent by a Texas kid shortly before Christmas 1975:

While far from evidence Mego ever packaged the Batman figures/playset combination suggested in their 1975 catalog, it does strike me odd that a kid would use the specific term 'gift set' in his wish note. Come to think of it, I can't imagine any kid using the term 'playset', let alone 'gift set'.

And I almost brushed it away, until I came across THIS "Dear Santa…" letter published the following year (1976), that was submitted by a little boy in California:

So that's two kids, in two different cities, in two different states, on two different years, specifically asking for a Batcave Gift Set.

Thoughts?

-b

p.s. Happy Holidays, Megoheads!
    Attached Files
  • Seriousin
    Museum Super Collector
    • Dec 28, 2011

Where do I place my order?!
    Currently seeking - Original RM Robin mask. Plus other various WGSH parts.

Good traders list

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

That is pretty remarkable that both kids used that term. Even more remarkable that you managed to track those letters down

Well, the Enterprise gift set has surfaced several times...was it ever advertised in catalogs?
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• imp
        Mego Book Author
        • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by MegoScott
        Well, the Enterprise gift set has surfaced several times...was it ever advertised in catalogs?
        That's a great question. I think it may have been but I honestly can't recall. I will pore through some of my old catalogs, see if I can find that offered. Or perhaps Heiler knows the answer off-hand? I would ask him, but I think he's busy planning a caper against DHL.

Anyone else know the answer?

-b

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Regarding the packaging of these proposed sets--Would they have used the longer Batcave box and just included four bagged figures?

When was the smaller box introduced? Maybe this would have an impact on when/whether the gift set was made?
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by MegoScott
            My Enterprise gift set had a David Weis price sticker on it (Weis was a small catalog showroom chain in PA, closed circa 1990), so it stands to reason..

Comment

• scifiguy94
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 18, 2009

Looks like those kids saw or heard Batcave gift set somewhere.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                valar morghulis
                • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by imp
                Recently, while perusing vintage "Dear Santa…" letters submitted to local newspapers, I came across this letter to the North Pole, sent by a Texas kid shortly before Christmas 1975:
                I'm just curious how this is done..?

Comment

• mego73
                  Printed paperboard Tiger
                  • Aug 1, 2003

looks like there is alternate packaging to find out there

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢