Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is CIPSA General Ursus head the same molded as Mego Ursus?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Mego
    Love to play with Megos
    • Oct 19, 2003

Is CIPSA General Ursus head the same molded as Mego Ursus?

It's very difficult to tell in which is one original CIPSA Ursus head as Mego's with black molded and face painted.

I have a CIPSA Ursus that have melted marked on the left near top of the head and I have an original Mego Ursus head replaced by me that looks very same to me.... I believe in Mexico did replaced Mego head into my CIPSA Ursus and has Mego brown Ape plastic hip hooks that I noticed it after I bought set of 4 of them from our great MM guy last April. I have an original naked CIPSA General Urko body off ebay, I can repairs him and CIPSA Cornelius that has bent plastic hip pin. The rest of original CIPSA Ape body parts that I'm keeping them in case. I'm not upset, I'm very happy with all of 5 loose original CIPSA POTA figures go with my POTA Collection.

If you have all original loose CIPSA POTA, would ya por favor to checking on your CIPSA Ursus's head and read on the back and pics for me to see it?

If so, that'll helps to let me know before I'm ready to hunting for another original CIPSA Ursus head with near mint cond., I need to replace it and to finish complete my CIPSA POTA line. Please let me know, thanks!

Last edited by Mr Mego; Oct 20, '12, 12:46 AM.
    Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.
  • piecemaker
    There's no need to fear..
    • Jan 26, 2009

Pat,heres a few pics comparing Cipsa/Mego Ursus heads.The copyright information on the back is the same.What i learned from others here about telling the difference between a Cipsa/Mego heads is its how the heads look.Mexico Cipsa used different materials than the USA Mego in making their heads so they have a different look.A Cipsa head has a kinda clear waxy look to it. Cipsa Ursus is the hardest to see that difference in.I hope this helps.
    [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-75HN3D5/1/XL/i-75HN3D5-XL.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-3T589sd/1/XL/i-3T589sd-XL.jpg[/img]

Comment

• piecemaker
      • Jan 26, 2009

It might be easier to see if you take a picture of your Cipsa head and a Mego head and compare the two to what i posted.Heres a side view of the heads.
      [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZQ2TbwR/1/XL/i-ZQ2TbwR-XL.jpg[/img]

Comment

• Mr Mego
        Love to play with Megos
        • Oct 19, 2003

That's helps, thanks!

EDITED due absence, new post is next.
        Last edited by Mr Mego; Oct 21, '12, 3:10 PM.
        Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• scifiguy94
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 18, 2009

So the Cipsa head is on the right?

Comment

• piecemaker
            • Jan 26, 2009

Cipsa is on the left.
            [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-nH2wdQQ/0/XL/i-nH2wdQQ-XL.jpg[/img]
            Last edited by piecemaker; Oct 19, '12, 9:13 PM.

Comment

• scifiguy94
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 18, 2009

Guess it's not relevant, but I've got Ursus heads that look like both of those and pretty sure none are Cipsa.

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

There can be much difference in the sheen of the Ursus heads depending on what they've been exposed to. More so I tend to notice the differences in the paint. I'll try to post up a comparative pic this weekend as well.

Comment

• piecemaker
                  • Jan 26, 2009

Its alot easier to see the differences in Cornelius or Zauis.This guy not so easy.

Comment

• sauce
                    Removed
                    • Jun 24, 2007

Let's check boxed examples

Comment

• piecemaker
                      • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                      Let's check boxed examples
                      Sounds like a plan.Throw some pics up. I found another Ursus and did another comparison shot.
                      [img]http://piecemaker.smugmug.com/photos/i-VmbSKgz/1/XL/i-VmbSKgz-XL.jpg[/img]

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

As I said before, I don't place too much determination on the head sheen due to what we already know concerning how the sheen/dullness of POTA heads varies based on their exposure to chemicals, uv & infrared light, dirt, etc. What I do find more telling is the "feel" of the different vinyl and a noticeable difference in paint color.

I looked at six Ursus Mego heads and they were fairly consistent in their head paint, while the Cipsa is a more pale pink. I think this color difference is documented in Piecemaker's pic as well. Perhaps not much to go on, but it's a start... B's boxy version will hopefully lend additional evidence.

Ape Science!
                        Last edited by Confessional; Oct 20, '12, 9:19 PM. Reason: The only good human, is a dead human.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^It appears that the CIPSA paint mask for the nostrils differs as well? This might be the most immediate way to ID one.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• piecemaker
                            • Jan 26, 2009

^ Good eye,i think you are right.I checked a few other pics of Cipsa Ursus and they all have the rounded top nostril paint.

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Ah hah!, cool, you could confirm it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡