X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Why did they introduce the 9" scale?

Given the fact that the 8" format was already well established and they were moving into the 12" format with the superheroes, Superman the movie, James Bond, Black Hole, and Buck Rogers, why did they decide to try out a 9" format on lines such as Flash Gorden and Doctor Who?

I'm assuming the 9" body originated with the Parkdale Robin scaled to the 12" line, and they just wanted to put that body to use somehow (like the Titans body and the military figures)? There was obviously some overstock at some point since they managed to make Maxx FX out of these leftover bodies years later.

I always thought one of the added bonuses for play value in scaling lines the same was the fact that you could have that crossover between Star Trek and Apes or Superheroes as a kid.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I'm wondering if 9" Megos were made to compete with Big Jim.

Comment

• Jordiway
      Museum Super Collector
      • Aug 17, 2007

Why did they do a lot of things? Like why did they have colored bodies for figures like the human torch when all you can see is the hands anyway? Why did they design a whole new body just for the Fonzi figure?

Using the 9" body was a very dumb move. Even the 12" wad a bad move because it wasn't cost effective. And thats why they went out of buisness because they invested into things like this when they should have just expanded their 8" line like more superheroes (flash, Xmen, Evil Villans).

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I think they did 12" scale because Marty liked how much more detail could be put into the figure/costume etc....
        9" I have no idea

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

^^^
          I think the 12" line was because Parkdale in Canada covered the cost to develop the initial skinny 12" body... not sure if that meant they covered the 9" Robin as well and Mego was trying to find other uses for it after the fact.
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎