X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gummi
    Career Member
    • Dec 2, 2009

Red Spiderman Torso?

Hello everyone. I have another rookie question for you guys. I recently picked up a T2 Spiderman and noticed that he has a red torso. All the pictures I've looked at showed him having the normal flesh colored torso. I was just wondering if it was possible that he was manufactured this way, or has he more than likely been pieced together at some point? Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by gummi; May 5, '10, 4:23 AM.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997
  • generic
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 25, 2009

Mego did make Spiderman with a red torso, so it does sound like a correct Mego release.

I was going to direct you over to the Spideman page of the megomuseum, but then I realized that there isn't a mention of the red torso there. There's like 50 packaging variations, but no photos of the red torso? What's up with that, guys?
    Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• gummi
      Career Member
      • Dec 2, 2009

Yeah, I had looked there as well and didn't see mention of it. It's good to know that it was manufactured like that at one time. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I had heard that late-issue (post-1979?) Spidey figs sometimes featured the red torso.

Maybe Imp or Dumbledor can verify this?
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• z3zep
          The Girl Next Door
          • Sep 30, 2006

I actually like that variation, since the collar sometimes comes down and it looks nicer on the red torso

Comment

• generic
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            I had heard that late-issue (post-1979?) Spidey figs sometimes featured the red torso.

Maybe Imp or Dumbledor can verify this?
            I don't know the dates on the red torso releases, but I've owned several of them over the years. In fact, I'm pretty sure the one that I had as a kid had a red torso.

Comment

• generic
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 25, 2009

Ok, I just did an inventory: All of my loose, Type 2 Spiderman Megos have red torsos. I only have one Type 1 Spiderman and he has a flesh colored torso. I can't tell what color torso my carded Spiderman has because the neck of the suit is tight at the top and goes completely over the torso of the figure.

Dumbledor has three carded Spiderman Megos that he's selling over in the marketplace. From the photo, I can see the flesh color torso on two of them. The third one looks like it might be red, but I'm not sure. However, all three are on 1975 cards, so it's possible that they just hadn't switched over to the red torsos yet in 1975. Mine is on a French, 1979 card. So what does all of this mean? It means that I REALLY wish I could afford to buy one of those 1975 carded Spiderman Megos from Dumbledor.
              Last edited by generic; May 5, '10, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• gummi
                Career Member
                • Dec 2, 2009

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

I have a carded Pin Pin Spidey with a red torso.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by z3zep
                    I actually like that variation, since the collar sometimes comes down and it looks nicer on the red torso
                    Me, too--I customized both my Spidey & Iron Man with red torsos.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Me, too--I customized both my Spidey & Iron Man with red torsos.
                      Hadn't thought about Iron Man... creative fix.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• RG
                        Removed.
                        • Oct 1, 2004

I have a spiderman that has the red torso and a blue waist ... it's pretty cool, but not sure if it's original since it did come from a parts lot. but I have had a few red torso spidermans, but they always had flesh waists

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎