X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gummi
    Career Member
    • Dec 2, 2009

Mego Dracula Question

Hello everyone. I was hoping that some of you Mego experts could help me out with something. I recently bought a Mego Dracula on eBay, but the figure didn't come with shoes. I was able to find a pair of Dracula shoes for sale, but it appears that I got two left shoes. The bends on either side of each shoe look different, making it appear that there should be a right and left. My question is were the shoes indeed made in a right and a left, or were they all made the same to fit either foot? I want to be sure before I contact the seller about it. Thanks in advance for any help.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

With some shoes it looks like there's a left and a right and others look exactly alike. I think they were originally made the same, but the difference comes from being on the figure for 30+ years, the rubber sets depending on which foot it's been all that time.
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• English Paul
      Archive cased.
      • Aug 17, 2005

I wonder if it's possible to warm the shoe up in hot water whilst on the foot to help it reshape?
      "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

I'd have to check at home, but I believe both were the same. Thomas' theory seems pretty sound.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• DavidCoppola
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 3, 2009

Try a hair dryer

Comment

• gummi
            Career Member
            • Dec 2, 2009

Thanks for the replies everybody. The only thing is that on the pair that I got, when looking at the bottom sole of the shoes which is thick and solid compared to the top, I can see that the way they are shaped is very similar to actual dress shoes. The bend on either side appears to be molded very differently. The shoes are in mint condition and don't appear to be misshaped at all. I know I'm being way too picky.
            Last edited by gummi; Mar 19, '10, 2:02 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I agree with Thomas: I've never seen Mego shoes or boots of any sort molded right & left.

Try dipping them in very hot water for about 10 seconds--they should resume their original shape.

There may be variances over the years in mold tooling, though--for items in continuous production like superhero boots. You will sometimes see small variances in detail definition, for example. But I doubt that this would be the case for Drac/Wizard shoes.

Are you sure this guy didn't sell you CTVT repros?
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Mar 19, '10, 3:09 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• gummi
                Career Member
                • Dec 2, 2009

Thanks for the reply. No, they don't appear to be repros. They are not glossy at all and appear to be longer than the repros. The figure came in today, and they look great when they're actually on. I was concerned that he was going to look like he had two left feet. Anyway, thanks again everyone. I appreciate all of the replies.

Comment

• ScottA
                  Original Member
                  • Jun 25, 2001

Dracula and the Wizard of Oz have the same shoes. I don't believe there is a left and a right. But I bet over time it may bend to one way or another. I've seen it with Joker and Penguin shoes.
                  sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• English Paul
                    Archive cased.
                    • Aug 17, 2005

Originally posted by ScottA
                    I've seen it with Joker and Penguin shoes.
                    Another realy good example is Galens mocassins which often appear as left and right.
                    The mocassins that came on my Palitoy Starsky which were over trek boots both appear perfectly symetrical and straight which leads me to believe that generally they assume the shape of the foot they are fitted on.
                    "I should say I`m very much cleverer than any of the people who put me here. As a matter of fact, I could leave any time I wanted. It`s only a doll`s house after all. Anyway, I don`t mind. I like dolls" - The Mad Hatter, Arkham Asylum.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎