Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • No1WonderFan
    • Feb 22, 2010

SOS! please help Supergirl.

Hi all, this is my first post (and my 9th Mego).

I've slowly collected the 8" and 12" superheroes over the years as I could find them or afford them. Well, I finally got my hands on that elusive Supergirl. I bought it from a family that said it belonged to their aunt. Anyway, it appears to have been opened in the 70s and stuck on a shelf and never been touched....the only thing missing is the emblem. The real problem is it looks like she blew smoke on it for 30 years - although it doesn't smell like smoke. I'm happy to have it and the hair is beautiful - still has the plastic band. The suit is stained, but I'm hoping that will come out with Oxy Clean. Should I use warm or cold water and how long do i soak it? Anybody has luck with nicotine stains?

BUT, the MAIN problem is her beautiful hair. It has the perfect original, untouched curl, but is a reddish, strawberry blonde color. Are there other Mego Supergirls where the hair has darkened over time or is it stained too? Is there anything I can do? I don't want to take any chances ruining any part of this lovely thing that I have coveted since I was a child. Can I dip her head in Oxy Clean safely? I just don't really know where to start and thought I'd ask the experts.
  • starhunter
    where the LEDYS at
    • Jan 15, 2010

I dont know about the cleaning thing ...but the hair mine has spent its years loose and the hair has not gone reddish ..so yes id say its stained as well

Comment

• Toy Talk
      Old and out of touch
      • Aug 7, 2009

Welcome and good luck with nicotine stains, they can be extremely difficult if not impossible. Oxyclean is your best route for the costume; although, I don't think you will have much luck.
      "Procrastination is the art of planning for tomorrow."

Comment

• vulcan2074
        Live Long and Prosper
        • Mar 23, 2008

If you post some pics. It will give everyone a better idea on the extent of the staining. Good Luck and welcome
        Sammy

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

Yeah, love to see pictures. Before using oxyclean, I'd try a more gentle washing in shampoo. Believe me, washing outfits in the sink in shampoo gets out more stains then I thought would come out. The hair is baffling.

[email protected]

Comment

• bgrimm77
            NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
            • Jan 4, 2009

P.m. me if you want a repro emblem
            WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

• supercrazy
              Banned
              • Oct 3, 2006

Is the stains on the shoulder areas. Alot of supergirls have this problem. You can try oxyclean but not sure if it will work. On the hair don't mess with it. As long as it looks nice and not bad it is ok. Taking the band off and messing with the hair will ruin it. Hope this helps

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                Removed.
                • Jun 14, 2008

Yeah, post some pics. Perhaps the head isn't Supergirl? I can't imagine hair getting that discolored?
                Rich

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                  Yeah, post some pics. Perhaps the head isn't Supergirl? I can't imagine hair getting that discolored?
                  Rich
                  In a smokers house it could be stained very fast. And for an extended stay in the smokey environment it will indeed be changed forever. I wouldn't try anything to change the hair. Oxy-clean the costume for a little color change, but it might ruin the costume. Be very careful...

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                    Removed.
                    • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                    In a smokers house it could be stained very fast. And for an extended stay in the smokey environment it will indeed be changed forever. I wouldn't try anything to change the hair. Oxy-clean the costume for a little color change, but it might ruin the costume. Be very careful...
                    I know what you're saying but he said it doesn't smell smokey. If that thing was in a smokers house that long to get all stained and discolored by the smoke then it should be reeking of cigarettes.
                    That's why i questioned if he might have a different head since he said she's not very blonde.
                    Rich

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

The smell of smoke will go away while the stains stay forever. By the way...smoking kills!!

Comment

• No1WonderFan
                        • Feb 22, 2010

I would post the pics that the seller sent me, but do I have to have them online somewhere (ie photobucket) to attach them? The suit really doesn't look that stained and the hair doesn't look that reddish in them though. No, it doesn't smell like smoke. I figured maybe it had been out in the nicotine cloud for years and them maybe in storage for years. It also has the "neck melt" but I figure there isn't anything I can do about that. I plan on putting a red ribbon around her neck like the Supergirl costume from that era. I'm very happy to have it, just wanted to clean it up a little. Oh, and it's definitely a supergirl head....there isn't anyone else's that I could be. I appreciate the help everybody. So, Oxy Clean may be a little too harsh, eh?

Comment

• jp1969
                          Banned
                          • Dec 10, 2009

I have seen the strawberry blond effect on an IG I have owned and also many that have showed up on ebay.I have never owned a supergirl.Were these prone to zombying?
                          Chemical reaction to dyes over time?Maybe part of the zombie effect leeching into hair?
                          Cigarette smoke would leave yellow or brown stains.This is more pinkish .
                          Last edited by jp1969; Mar 2, '10, 1:52 PM.

Comment

• weatherwizard-Corey
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Jul 1, 2008

Try Carbona # 8

Try a Carbona # 8.

Carbona Stain Devils

It says it takes out nicotine. Never tried #8. The others work well and definately aren't prone to leaching like oxy clean. Carbona usually can be found at Jo Ann Fabric stores too. Corey
                            Wanted:- 12" Robin Shoes; Mego Batcave, Mego Die-cast Batman-loose, Mattel-BSG Gold Cylon loose.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 18, 2008

so no pics?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡