X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timb
    Will Draw for Toys
    • May 1, 2009

Straight arm mego ladies?

So is there a price difference between articulated arm mego ladies verses the straight arm ladies? Which is rarer?
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Straight arm ones are scarcer as they were released late in production of the figures, but I've never seen much of a price premium on them usually, most collectors aren't interested enough in the variation to make them big in demand over the more common type.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

If you're a completist, you might want straight-arm versions of earlier characters, but IMO the more poseable figs are nicer and don't have the zombie heads that the later, lesser-articulated gals often do.

I think $$$ depends on the character; straight-arm Inv. Girl is inexpensive compared to Batgirl.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ScottA
        Original Member
        • Jun 25, 2001

I have Batgirl and Invisible Girl so far and am looking to pick up the others someday. But like PNGwynne said I rather the completist (or try to be).
        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• imp
          Mego Book Author
          • Apr 20, 2003

They're all tough, but — for Loose Mego collectors — the big nod should go to Supergirl.

While the "Straight Arms" (SA) Wonder Woman is highly desirable (due to Mego's drastic changes to her head, body and outfit, not to mention her strange and mysterious return to the Mego lineup, several years after discontinuation), I have seen more Loose SA Wonder Woman figures than I have ever seen of Loose SA Supergirl figures.

This scarcity is no doubt bolstered by SA Supergirl's exclusive existence on the ©1978 Pin Pin (French) card, the one most notable for utilizing a yellow Dinah-mite "peace sign" belt. Mego issued each of the other SA Super-Gals in America, on U.S. packaging.

Batgirl isn't so much scarce as desirable... she is just flat-out, drop-dead gorgeous. Those super-opaque, canary yellow accessories are just drool-worthy.

A "Straight Arms" Catwoman does not appear to exist; she was discontinued well before Mego introduced the Type 2 Female body (i.e. "Straight Arms"), and was not re-introduced at some later date, as Wonder Woman evidently was.

Presuming you include Isis in the World's Greatest Super-Gals, I place her in the "Straight Arms" Batgirl scarcity range (though not quite as available).

So, for my money, rarity (again, this is for Loose WGSG only) is:

1) Supergirl

2) Wonder Woman

3) Isis

4) Batgirl

For those interested in cool variants, I currently have two of the four "SA WGSH" figures on eBay:

Straight Arms Batgirl

and

Straight Arms Wonder Woman

-b

p.s. "Value" is subjective. I never address "value" of figures, but I love discussing scarcity and desirability.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

I just checked and both my regular Batgirls have straight arms.

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

Straight-arm Gals

I posted this in the "I Love Mego ... Loose" thread, here is a shot of my 5 straight-armed Gals:

Comment

• timb
                Will Draw for Toys
                • May 1, 2009

Warlock, your collection is amazing man: )

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Oooh, that "Aussie" WW is nice!

Glad to see Inv. Girl complete, Warlock. They all look great displayed.

Great info, Imp!
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 6, '10, 1:22 PM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• warlock664
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 15, 2009

Gals

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    Glad to see Inv. Girl complete, Warlock. They all look great displayed.
                    Yup, thanks again, Mr Gwynne ! (my straight-armed IG sadly has 2 right arms; PNGwynne graciously sold me a mint straight-armed IG body so I could restore her!)

Comment

• MegoGeek
                      From The Black Lagoon
                      • Jun 27, 2001

IMO. The straight armed Invisible Girl with the correct longer hair and the Non-Zombie head is on par with the Aussie WW.
                      ______
                      ChArLiE

Comment

• warlock664
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 15, 2009

IG

Originally posted by MegoGeek
                        IMO. The straight armed Invisible Girl with the correct longer hair and the Non-Zombie head is on par with the Aussie WW.
                        Ah, I never even noticed that the Straight-armed IG had the longer hair, Charlie; the one I bought came with 2 right arms, and an obviously restored de-greyed head (you can see the traces of red marker around the roots of the hair). Here is a shot with the original de-greyed head with longer hair, alongside the standard IG:

I swapped out a clean IG head without realizing the difference in the hair length; looks like I'm in the market for a correct non-grey straight-armed IG now!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

What are Ledy gals like--do they have simplified articulation?

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                            MeGoing
                            • May 14, 2003

Interesting thread. It's funny, I remember thinking as a kid how my sister's Supergirl sucked because you couldn't even bend the arms

Comment

• sauce
                              Removed
                              • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              What are Ledy gals like--do they have simplified articulation?
                              Ledy gals have pose-able articulation.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎