• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwiz154
    Museum Super Collector
    • Aug 16, 2008

AJ Scramble Cycle Steering

Hi Everybody!

I picked up a really nice Scramble Cycle today at the flea market. Pretty nice shape too, just needs a good cleaning. The forward and reverse work just fine. Does anyone know how the steering works? There's a spring that goes out to the left side of the front wheel. The right side has a flat piece of metal that goes into the bike. I took the cycle apart to clean it and the metal isn't connected. Does anyone know where it goes or how it hooks up? Thanks for any and all info.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwiz154; Sep 6, '09, 3:48 PM.
  • AJ Collector
    The Biggest Little Man!
    • Aug 24, 2008

I tried working an one as well I could not figure it out. I would have to take apart a complete one but of course wish not to do that....

Comment

• kryptosmaster
      Removed.
      • Jun 14, 2008

I just bought one. Waiting for it to arrive. Supposedly doesn't work but I'm pretty handy at these kinds of things. I will take a look and let you know when I get mine.
      Rich

Comment

• jwiz154
        Museum Super Collector
        • Aug 16, 2008

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
        Supposedly doesn't work but I'm pretty handy at these kinds of things. I will take a look and let you know when I get mine.
        Rich
        Thanks Rich,

I'm not very handy with this stuff at all. I look forward to hearing what you think about it!

Jerry

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by jwiz154
          Thanks Rich,

I'm not very handy with this stuff at all. I look forward to hearing what you think about it!

Jerry
          No problem. I'm actually looking forward to the challenge of finding out why the one I bought "doesn't work". There's really not usually too much to these old battery-powered toys so I'm guessing it'll be something simple. I bought a Action Stallion that didn't work. Someone cut the cord and everything off it, bent the control rods. I took it apart, straightened the rods, resoldered the loose wire at the motor, lubed up the gears, attached a cord and it worked like new.
          Rich

Comment

• AAAAA
            Permanent Member
            • Oct 28, 2005

one of the problems i encounter with the cycles in split drive gears , breaks in 2 pieces.and a pain to set a new in .

Comment

• kryptosmaster
              Removed.
              • Jun 14, 2008

I COMPLETELY disassembled mine, right down to the motor guts. Had to because NOTHING worked. The motor jumped for a second one time when i wiggled a wire near it. The steering mechanism is connected by a thin cable (think bicycle brakes) with a wire inside a sheath. Mine was broken on both ends.I found the brushes loose in my motor and also dirty contact surfaces. I cleaned the contacts and repaired the motor and that works fine. I see no gear problems.
              Now I have to totally reassemble this and I found a great substitute for the steering wire. We have this electric welder at work and the welding wire is perfect size for replacement. In fact it's a little thicker than the old stuff but that should eliminate the possibility of kinking. The wire connects at that metal bar on one end and to the geared block under the steering wheel at the other end. This should work like new when I'm done (hopefully).
              Are any pictures needed? I didnt take any but before I totally reassemble I probably can if any are desired.
              Rich

Comment

• AJ Collector
                The Biggest Little Man!
                • Aug 24, 2008

I would love to see the pics Rich....

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                  Removed.
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Ran into a small snag.
                  I was testing the motor right at the terminals attached to it. When I hooked up the wires I found I had no power. Ohm'ed the wires and have no continuity end to end so I had to TOTALLY disassemble the controller as well! Which wasn't easy as there are peened pins holding pieces together and I will have to replace them with small screws and nuts most likely but that wont show enough to make any difference. So now I have to replace the wiring as well and that is inside the plastic covering so that won't show at all.
                  I will try to take pics and probably just make a thread about it.
                  Now if only the seller hadn't lied to me and told me nothing was broken! I'll never track down one of those chrome exhaust pieces.
                  Rich

Comment

• jwiz154
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Aug 16, 2008

Thanks for the great info about the cycle. The steering bar is what I was wondering about. I think I got it from your explantion. But if you do get to the pictures, I'd love to see them.

Sorry about the remote end. That doesn't sound like too much fun to repair.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                      Removed.
                      • Jun 14, 2008

OK, I am still working on this. Ran into a snag with the new wire for the steering cable. I am trying to get a length of this now so I can put it back together. I got the electrical part all fixed but have to get that wire replaced before I can reassmeble.
                      I have a question though for someone who has an original working one.
                      Now how is the steering set? What I mean is, does that spring always pull the front tire to the left and by turning the steering wheel on the controller are you basically just working against that spring all the time? Thinking about it mechanically in my mind that seems correct to me but I haven't implemented it yet since I'm still hunting the wire down.
                      Rich

Comment

• jwiz154
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Aug 16, 2008

Originally posted by kryptosmaster
                        What I mean is, does that spring always pull the front tire to the left and by turning the steering wheel on the controller are you basically just working against that spring all the time? Rich
                        Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the way it works. When I got my cycle, that was all still in good shape and still hooked up. The flat metal strip on the right side is not attached inside on mine. I guess that peice some how hooks to the remote cable.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
                          Removed.
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by jwiz154
                          Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the way it works. When I got my cycle, that was all still in good shape and still hooked up. The flat metal strip on the right side is not attached inside on mine. I guess that peice some how hooks to the remote cable.
                          Yes, it does hook to the cable and mine was snapped on both ends. I suspect because the tubing was kinked and someone forced it. I straightened all that out but I'm having trouble finding a replacement wire. It's a special kind of wire like piano wire approx .015" thickness. I found some at True Value but they come pre-cut at 3 ft and are a foot too short. I have the guy there trying to track down a longer length but it may only come in a roll and that may prove to be too expensive (for example: Grainger listed it but I'd have to buy a roll 1,400 FT long!!! for $30!!) but I haven't given up yet. I have to check back with him on Tuesday. Only need like 4 ft to repair it.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎