X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Best Way To Fix A Goblin Satchel?

I have two that are broken where the strap meets the bag. I was able to fix one with crazy glue, but the second just won't take. I only used a little glue as I was a afraid of some sort of reaction. Would heating a razor and using it the way some have used it to fix split boots be a good idea? Any suggestions?
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • RG
    Removed.
    • Oct 1, 2004

I would try duro superglue. but just a touch or it leaves a white filmy color.

It worked on my iron man belt where other superglues didn't

maybe clamp it together somehow for a few hours as it drys helps also

Comment

• kryptosmaster
      Removed.
      • Jun 14, 2008

Create a mold from the original then melt it down and recast it using the original plastic. That makes it 100% Mego still.
      Ok, I'm just kidding. I'm in a silly mood.
      I've never heard of this hot razor method. How does that work?
      Rich

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Basically, you heat a razor to the point will it can soften the plastic, but not too hot so it melts it. You place the razor at the point of separation and bring the two sides together. Slip the razor out and, hopefully, the sides will fuse back together. The danger, of course, is that you'd melt the item and damage it further. It could also create an uneven seam, a glop of plastic, etc.

It works OK for boots because they are thinner. I really don't know if its a good idea for the satchel.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

Would've never thought about that. Works for split boots huh?
          Does it usually hold? Or do they just split again when you put them on? LOL
          Rich

Comment

• Tothiro
            Kitten Mittens
            • Aug 28, 2008

Just another random suggestion - My GG had a satchel with one strap side broken... I found a color matching thread type and put a small hole with a sewing needle through the satchel side and strap end, then sewed them together in the position they'd originally held. It's the same color, and the thread is so discrete you can hardly see it. Probably a fair display option.

Comment

• grayhank
              That Fisher Price Guy
              • Feb 9, 2007

Superglue and Crazy Glue don't always work on plastics (as stated on them "works on most plastics") You might want to try:

This was found in the paint section of my local Walmart. When you push the plunger down the two different chemicals pour out. These need to be mixed. I use a small paint mixing palet and old throwaway paintbrush. You can then paint a little bit of the epoxy onto the area to be glued. You're going to have to be a little patient for it to set and hold the pieces together. Once it dries you can carefully clean up any excess with a sharp utility knife. Toss the brush because you won't be using it again. Also any excess in your paint palet will probably be a permanent fixture.
              Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

I was going to recommend that too. I've used that exact same epoxy to fix stuff that glue didn't work with, and it works great. When it dries, it almost becomes plastic itself and sticks very well to what ever it bonded with.

Comment

• theressa
                  Sewing...?
                  • Jun 13, 2004

Wonder if this would work on tricorders.
                  Another alternative to paint brushes. I've used flat toothpicks for years as stir sticks and glue applicators. If you're going to just use a dab of glue, I'd suggest the toothpicks.
                  Wants, original parts; thinking...
                  It's the quiet ones you gotta watch!
                  Custom suits, in time
                  T_SUITS

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍