Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shornk
    • Aug 16, 2006

1980s Starlog with Star Trek Megos for Sale

I remember around the time Star Trek IV was realeased, there was a starlog that had a mail away advertisement for the original wave of Star Trek Mego figures. The advertisement said the figures were found in a warehouse that had been forgotten. Does anyone remember the issue number?
    shornk shornk shornk
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I wish I could remember the issue myself but the people that ran that ad are friends of mine and still in business today.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I have that issue. Somewhere.
      It'll probably take me over a year to:
      A/find my pile of Starlogs
      B/find the correct issue

Too much stuff....
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I actually have it in the Star Trek movie mag. If i could figure out how to post a picture i would have put it up here already. PM me with your email address and I will scan it for you

Comment

• mego73
          Printed paperboard Tiger
          • Aug 1, 2003

They are still around today as Amazingthirdplanet on Ebay. The couple behind the warehouse find are a canadian couple and great people. I visited them when they had a store in the 80's. Megos everywhere!

[email protected]

Comment

• shornk
            • Aug 16, 2006

That is so cool. I just bought a carded Klingon from them recently so that's pretty fun that they were the ones who ran the ad long ago. I bought a Kirk and a Spock from them in the 80s when the ad was run.
            shornk shornk shornk

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, I just dug the mag out and you are right it is 3rd planet. I remember I wanted to buy them so much but at 14 did not have the cash....could have save myself a lot of money later in life though. what a steal....17.50 for Kirk and Spock, 25.oo for Uhura, Mccoy, 35.00 for Scottie, 30.00 for klingon or 120.00 for the whole set

Comment

• shornk
                • Aug 16, 2006

Thanks Nostalgiabuff. What is the date on the Star Trek Movie Mag? It was so long ago, I don't remember if I had ordered them out of that or a StarLog.

I had the same problem and was about the same age as you. I was barely able to get the two I did.
                shornk shornk shornk

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

They also ran an ad in 85 or so that more Mego in it, also they did a couple of local tv commercials. I watched them at their house one night, really funny.

The guy who should be credited with first being at the warehouse find was a gentleman named Joe Levy, Joe didn't have the resources to make the big buy however. He kind of cherry picked the heroes, knights, apes, trek, Oz, waltons etc and bring them to flea markets to sell for $5=10 each.

When I was fifteen, I saw a business card that said "Mego Dolls" and called him from a pay phone. The next Saturday, Joe drove to my house with boxes of WGSH for me to choose from. I spent around $100 for 10 boxed figures. Joe knew where every old convience store had vintage toys and would tell me where to go.

My dad knew about Parkdale too, I went there at the same time and spent my life savings on a trunk full of neato stuff but I was hardly a player.

The folks at A3P came around the same time and were the most savvy, they came in and bought everything, they made a lot of great warehouse finds in the 80s, not just the trek stuff. They put in a lot of effort and would spend hundreds of hours calling all over the country looking for old inventory.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

The Star Trek mag I have is for the Voyage Home so I assume 1986.

Comment

• vulcan2074
                      Live Long and Prosper
                      • Mar 23, 2008

I've bought a bunch of cool stuff from Amazing Third Planet. Their really nice to deal with
                      Sammy

Comment

• shornk
                        • Aug 16, 2006

They really are very good to work with. I just got a full set of original Star Trek megos from them and it was a lot of fun talking to them.
                        shornk shornk shornk

Comment

• MysteryWho
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 16, 2008

That ad has come up on here a few times
                          I bought that Starlog issue when I was about fourteen. I'm pretty sure I'd already gotten a few Kirks, Spocks, and a Klingon from the Silver Snails in Toronto and Hamilton. I think they also scored with that warehouse find.
                          Anyhoo, I wanted those Star Trek guys bad, so I made my dad drive me there (I had already made him take me to the two Silver Snails I mentioned). Unfortunately, the store wasn't open yet, so I came away empty handed.
                          I know I called them at least one other time and talked to them about the Star Trek and other Megos they had there. Never made it back to the store however.
                          I recall being so psyched about getting them at one point that I had begun construction of a very cheesy Enterprise interior just for crew.
                          Soon I discovered sex,drugs and rock 'n roll. I came back to toys, etc. when I was 21.

Comment

• shornk
                            • Aug 16, 2006

Cool! I never saw the ad for the super hero megos, but when they posted the Star Trek ad, my high school friend and I were hooked. I found them purely by accident. I bought a vintage Klingon from them off of ebay, and figured out they had run the original ad through email chat. When I was a kid I was able to afford just Kirk and Spock. I can't remember what happend to Spock. I eventually gave Kirk to my older brother. When I found that I had bought a Klingon from the store that had ran that old magazine ad, I knew I had to buy the rest from them and only them. I spoke to them about the old ad and they remembered it fondly. They even told me some stories about how much fun it was for them. I was really lucky and they still had some of the original 6 figures laying around unopened. They were professional, friendly and very accomodating to what I was looking for. They Rock!
                            shornk shornk shornk

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎