• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

Cigarette smoke odor dilemma

So,
    Fellow Megoheads,I very recently purchased a relatively expensive and rare vintage Mego figure. I received it today, and while it looks very nice, there is a problem: it has a very powerful cigarette smoke smell to it. I'm afraid to display it with my other Megos, as I don't want the smell to permeate them as well. Is there any hope to abolish the vile odor, or is my item likely to retain the smell forever (I'm afraid I know the answer)?
    Also, the odor wasn't mentioned by the seller, so what would be the etiquette about requesting/receiving a refund if I decide I can't live with the smell? Would it be within my rights to request a refund, in your opinion ? I know a lot of ebay sellers add the tag "from a non-smoking home" in auctions (this wasn't an ebay item), should there be some some disclosure from the seller if the item is from a smoking home? I know when I sell an item, I strive to point out any perceivable defect I find, shouldn't cigarette smoke be considered a defect?
    Any thoughts or guidance on the matter are appreciated.
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

I think it's your right to say something to the seller,I know how annoying that is.

but in my opinion it's no big deal,I'm sure there's ways to remove the odor some how
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• starsky
      veteran member
      • Aug 26, 2007

if you put the figure in a ziploc with fabric softener sheet, it should take care of that odor problem.

Comment

• kryptosmaster
        Removed.
        • Jun 14, 2008

I know exactly what you mean. I HATE smoking and the smell. I bought some clothing from someone and they reeked. Made me ill. I didnt know about the fabric softener thing at the time so I washed them and soaked them and that made it a lot better. Plus they were dirty anyway and needed cleaning.
        Rich

Comment

• bgrimm77
          NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
          • Jan 4, 2009

I was just told about the fabric softener sheet thing. I recently got rid of some items that I won at auction and the buyer was realy polite and said that the plastic smelled like smoke. I am not a smoker and I didnt notice it but some people are realy sensitive to the smell. It was this buyer that recommended the fabric sheet.....so It's worth a try....
          WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

• M3G0M4V3R1CK
            Hooked On Mego
            • Jun 15, 2008

the fabric sheet works all my wizard of oz figures stunk of mildew and mold a day or 2 in a baggy with a sheet the are awsome now
            Good Buyer-Trader List ...

Comment

• toystalker
              none
              • Mar 27, 2008

the fabric sheet is a good 1, ive been known to clean up a few items with a scented baby wipe also and this has helped before with dirty smelly items, tends to clean the card and bubble up nice too lol(had some fire/smoke damage toys) worked well

shame though as this has happened to me a few times not just with toys, clothing is the worst for holding a dirty smell like that

smoke kills your toys so stop it!

Comment

• Type3Toys
                Home Of The Type3 Body
                • Jan 18, 2005

I dont know about the fabric sheet idea. I used to be a smoker, been over a year since I quit. I have also moved. I noticed that, while moving my custom shop, not only fabric but metal tools reaked of smoke. now before making a new figure I wash the fabric. Some of the fabric I have washed, dryed with fabric sheets and it sill stunk of smoke. If that did not work I find it difficult to beleive just putting a fabric sheet in a bag with a figure does anything. Ciggerett smoke last years, even a decade on things. A fabric sheet smell last a few days. Once that sweet smell is gone, you will be left with the domanant odor.
                LOOK
                Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                To Contact: [email protected]

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

Take up smoking and you won't notice the smell.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                    • Oct 8, 2007

You may notice that your figure is irritable, and fidgity for some time, but tell him it's for his own good, and you're doing it because you love him. Also he lives in a non-smoking house now, and those are the rules.

If they need it I usually clean my suits, and give the figure a bath in warm, soapy water. It usually cleans up pretty nice. Obviously no scrubbing as you don't want to lose paint. The smell goes away over time, and should be much less noticable.
                    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• MegoGeek
                      From The Black Lagoon
                      • Jun 27, 2001

Bounce makes a dryer sheet with febreeze in it. Try the zip lock trick with one of those.
                      ______
                      ChArLiE

Comment

• MegoMark71
                        Permanent Member
                        • Dec 18, 2008

I'm a little tossed on this one. Up till 4 years ago now i was a very avid smoker. when i quit i noticed just how bad it is. Now i also don't think a seller should be held accountable unless they were straight up deceitful. In my auction i make sure if i'm not the original owner i state that to cover anyone being a bit ****y. I might even say could have come from a smoke filled home. Unlike someone who has never smoked like my fiancee i don't think i'm as sensitive to smoke as they are. Also when i am buying if the seller hasn't said it i ask. The only bad question is one never asked. If a seller gets mad cause i asked too many question, my money moves on to the next seller. I know some might say the seller should list this stuff but if it's important to me i ask.

Comment

• Neutron X
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 22, 2007

Dryer sheet works very well, I recommend it. I do recommend cleaning plastic objects if possible.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
                            Career Member
                            • May 14, 2007

Dryer sheets don't work. Even if they have that gimmick "febreeze" in them. They are just like the sprays that come in a can. They only "mask" the smell, don't get rid of it. The only way to get rid of a smell is to remove the source. You will have to purchase an air purifer. Put the collection in a large trash bag and aim the air purifer into the bag. This will trap the harsh particles and distroy them. This will take at least 1-2 weeks to work. Those cheap crappy oreck air purifers will do the job. The reason they work is they produce ozone from an ionic reaction. I really don't like them as they are sold to be used. They don't tell you about the ozone part. It doesn't take alot of ozone to kill you. I recommend getting one that is based on UV light. They use catalytic oxidizers. Of course they cost more than those crappy oreck air purifers. I know what I'm taking about too. I used to work with an inventer a catalytic oxidizer.

Bob

Comment

• JOEZETA
                              • Oct 28, 2007

Put the figure and a open Box of baking soda in a enclosed box.......the baking soda will absorb the smell . Also the figure itself can be washed/cleaned.....its just the outfit i would not want to wash...

Joezeta
                              Home

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎