So, why do you collect megos?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperDrew
    • Jun 27, 2007

I'm just starting I have only one Mego right now. I don't know why I'm starting a collection. I didn't have them as a kid the first time I saw anything about them was in a toy magazine where they were used as a comic strip thing. I guess I just think they are cool looking

Comment

• RAZORSHARP
      • Jun 21, 2007

Spiderman was always my favorite super hero, i remember watching the first spidey cartoon when i was a kid. The one where he would be swinging through N.Y. & swinging by the same buildings over & over. Not long after that i found mego figures in a grocery store we would shop at weekly. I didn't nearly get to collect them all,so now i a gonna try to get as many as i can. OH YEAH, & BECAUSE THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!

Comment

• RG
        Removed.
        • Oct 1, 2004

They were like the cool toy I could never find as a kid. I'd see pictures in the catalogs, but never found the figures in the stores. I did start to collect a bit in 1989 but it didn't take. The Toy Fare magazine made me want to at least get a Spiderman, but after getting to see and hold him it made me want to get all those figures I saw in the catalog when I was a kid. It's now such a rush each time I get a new mego in my collection.

Comment

• Lora
          Museum Patron
          • Dec 30, 2006

I collect Megos because I like them as rider figures for my model horses. I especially klike their faces wich have lots of "character" instead of the "light-moronic-permanent"- smile the Breyer figures have ...

Hello Lora it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
          And to answer this question I have moved to a new place, but I have still go to my parents to use the PC with Internet as I still have no DSL at home .It took alone three weeks to get telephone...
          And don't worry I will post if I want to (if you don't kick me out for not-posting...) ...

Comment

• Airdave817
            Satellite Monitor Duty
            • May 31, 2007

For me its mostly for recreation and relaxation.

Some guys - or ladies - will set up a battlefield in their basement. Recreate a battle from the Civil War or the Revolutionary War. Or, set up a train set that takes up the entire basement. I saw the Megos in the catalog, and neither my parents or I could affiord them until I was older, and they became a novelty or collector item. I had the Star Wars figures and sets. It was then that I got the idea to stage or display the figures. I had the cool diplay stand for the Star Wars figures. The carrying case that doubled as a stand. I still have that with all the figures from Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back crammed inside.

My wife is into crafts. Needlepoint, crochet.

There is just something unique about the look of a Mego Action Figure. The Star Wars figures don't have it. None of the figures since Mego have been able to capture the wonder and imagination.

My dad was frugal. My parents grew up in the depression. They couldn't see the whole toy thing. I had the Six Million Dollar Man, Steve Austin figure and wanted Oscar Goldman. How can you have one without the other? He tried to reason me out of it. Do you really want this - you don't really want this, do you? Is this the only thing you'll ever want?

To be able to turn off my brain after work? Sure.
            Shameless self-promotion -
            Earth-Dave
            KROC-FM
            Look for me as Dave Berg on Facebook!

sigpic
            "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

I always liked the idea of collecting ALL the WGSH , as I only had about
              8 different characters as a kid

I feared what would happen once I had all 32 or so different characters---
              fortunately the "customs" era really started booming around the time I
              started panicking

Now I'm slowly but surely bulding a definitive collection of Marvel and DC
              superheroes in Mego style

I might've considered collecting DC Direct figs or Marvel Legends to satiate
              the desire for a huge assortment of those characters, but with the Mego
              customs I can pick and choose exactly which characters i want (and don't
              want), plus I can pick whatever era costume I want for them between 1970
              and 1983----and they blend in nicely with the Mego toys I had as a kid to boot
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• batty
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 9, 2006

WHY!? BECAUSE THEY ARE THE COOLEST EVER!!! I not only am reliving my childhood, but also able to get the ones I didn't have as a kid. If Mego didn't make them,.... then I will. ---B.

Comment

• bonkers head
                  Museum Patron
                  • Mar 25, 2007

Originally posted by saildog
                  When I was 8, I was told that I didn't really want Iron Man. I was willing to wait thirty years to get one, just to prove to my parents that I did indeed "really want Iron Man".
                  Didn`t quite wait as long but same idea ,parents could never understand love of collecting action figures then or now .

Comment

• nikejam25
                    • Jun 29, 2007

Megos kick *** !! The greatest superheroes and adventurers that bring so much pride and joy...like your kids.
                    Dammit Jim!!! I'm a doctor not a forklift!!!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎