Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Comic Book Geek
    Stays Crunchy in Milk
    • Aug 2, 2004

Because somewhere within this near 40 year old man with all the responsibilities life brings, is an 8 year old boy that refuses to grow up.

Superheroes still are the greatest fictional characters I've ever known, and mego was the company that made the toys when that 8 year old within stopped growing.
    Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• saildog
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 9, 2006

When I was 8, I was told that I didn't really want Iron Man. I was willing to wait thirty years to get one, just to prove to my parents that I did indeed "really want Iron Man".

Comment

• mitchedwards
        Mego Preservation Society
        • May 2, 2003

I started out with Megos as a way to cut some stress out of my life. Like many other people have posted. Megos bring back a much simpler time in my life.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• VintageMike
          Permanent Member
          • Dec 16, 2004

The same reason I collect any old toy. It brings me back to a special time like many here have said. In addition to that though, I get to really fulfill that little kid in me who wanted all those cool charctaers I sa wonly in comic ads. I had mostly common Megos as a child ( I briefly had an Iron Man, but can't remember what happned to him) and when I get ones I never had it's like being a kid all over again. With Star Wars for example, I had almost everything I wanted as a child and if I didn't have it a friend probably did.
          Seeing/obtaining something I've always wanted but never had adds a new dimension to it. As a lifelong Spider-Man fan finally obtaining that sought after Green Goblin was magic for instance.
          Mego collecting has been very rewarding in that I'm not only getting the great memories from childhood I'm making new ones as I add to my collection. Finally, this community itself has played a role as well. In the past I've floated from collection to collection since the memories would only go so far. People here are passionate like many collectors but the vibe is almost always a positive one. Even when that sad day comes when I absolutley, positively can't fit another Mego on my display, I'll still be here for as long this group is around.

Comment

• BENDY
            Career Member
            • Jan 28, 2003

simpler

What Hulk Said On First Page.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
              Career Member
              • Jun 10, 2007

#1 reason, I like them.
              They also bring me back to a time when they had real action figures, not these stautes they try to pass off as action figures now a days.
              These were also a big part of my child hood growing up.

Buying, collecting, building models, and playing with toys also helps keep me young in the mind and body. I have ran across a bunch of my old teachers and they are sursprised at how young I look when compared to other past students they have seen. They say I have aged really well, better then most, and I have looked best of most they have seen. I have seen some of the people I graduated with latley, and I gotta agree.
              I think playing with toys has helped me keep young.

Lynn

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

It impresses the ladies, what else?
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Adam West
                  Museum CPA
                  • Apr 14, 2003

Like everyone else said, it brings back a lot of good memories from childhood.

I really can't think of a better time to have grown up then the 1970's. The adults were fighting Vietnam, gas shortages, and a host of many issues that we worry about today as adults. But I don't remember anything about the war and actually thought it was fun sitting in long gas lines while my father complained about the long lines.

There were no distractions like video games and tv. We had tv but cartoons only came on right after school and Saturday mornings.

My parents were very generous to us despite their limited income. I don't have any memories of stepping inside a toy store...my mom was smart and never took me to one and I always remember picking my Christmas wish list from a Sears catalog.

I had probably 6 or 7 Megos. Batman and Robin, Superman, Capt. Kirk, Spock, a few planet of the apes but ironically no villains. So Adventure Joe would take on the Dynamic Duo or they would fight plastic army soldiers...whatever I could find. My best friend had every single figure made and toy set and I remember being very envious of his collection.

As I got older, my parents handed me a box full of toys I had as a kid and sure enough there were some of the Megos I had as well as some Joes. I knew I had to get them including the ones I didn't have. I really only wanted to collect WGSH figures and my quest began. Now, 5 or 6 years later, I'm only a handful away of having all of them including some variations. Since I am a box collector, I can only afford to purchase them little by little which makes the hobby even more fun since it has been a multi-year quest for me.
                  "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                  ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• joshvox
                    Clown Prince of Crime
                    • Mar 21, 2006

Originally posted by Hulk
                    Because I enjoy it. It brings me back to a simpler time, when my imagination was king, and the stresses of adult life didn't exist. Mego just personifies that better than any other toys from my childhood, and allows me to extend that into an adult hobby. The friendships and comraderie of similar minded people have made it into one of the more enjoyable hobbies I can imagine having.
                    Holy Crap--I think that is perfect. I just couldn't put it into words. I guess it should be good enough that I enjoy toys--why shouldn't I collect them? My wife disagrees. This whole thing started to formulate in my head when we had a conversation last night about what if her mom/dad come to visit (they live in separate states--we have been married for only a year now) if that happens, she thinks I should pack all my toys away because they will not understand--and think--well, whatever people automatically think about grown men who collect toys. So she asked me why I do it--and I couldn't think of anything to tell her other than just because I enjoy it. I mean, that should be good enough right? I'm a responsible grown man--it sorta ****es me off that I have to explain myself. I don't play with my toys. I enjoy the way they look. I guess I buy them for the same reason someone would buy a painting. They are aesthetically pleasing to me more than anything. Looking at a big shelf of toys is one of the things that makes me happy. But yet when people come over, I have to hide them I guess.

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 1, 2005

Originally posted by Hulk
                      Because I enjoy it. It brings me back to a simpler time, when my imagination was king, and the stresses of adult life didn't exist. Mego just personifies that better than any other toys from my childhood, and allows me to extend that into an adult hobby. The friendships and comraderie of similar minded people have made it into one of the more enjoyable hobbies I can imagine having.

Perfect, I can agree with that statement fully.

Comment

• megoat
                        A Therefore Experience
                        • Jun 10, 2003

This is hard to answer. Yes, what Hulk said is definitely a part of it. But there are many toys from my childhood that "bring back a simpler time". Why Mego more than others?

Hmmm.

I did and still like AT GI Joe, first movie Star Wars, Shogun Warriors etc etc. but Mego always comes out on top for me.

I've had a lifelong fascination with Planet of the Apes so that is a crucial role. In fact an Ursus ape was my reintroduction to the world of Mego as an adult.

I think the 8" scale is a plus for me. Smaller than a Joe but bigger than a star wars figure. Just the perfect size.

They are really goofy and colorful. Goofy goes a long way with me as an adult collector. I dunno. It's really hard to answer.

Just a sort of intangible personal preference I suppose....

Comment

• brineb
                          Persistent Member
                          • Aug 26, 2006

It brings me joy!!!

Perhaps it's also a way to reconnect with the happy days of youth, who really knows ... I just love them (Captain Action & G.I. Joe too)!!!
                          I also play with other dolls:
                          http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• marmes
                            Megolomaniac
                            • May 12, 2007

I like it.
                            It makes me feel good.
                            I can stop anytime I want to.

Comment

• megocrazy
                              Museum Trouble Maker
                              • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                              It impresses the ladies, what else?
                              CHICKS DIG MEGOS!!! YEAH BABY!!!
                              It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Meule
                                Verbose Member
                                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by marmes
                                I can stop anytime I want to.
                                Who are you kidding?
                                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎