X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Up Close: DareDevil by Diamond Select Toys

DareDevil was another Marvel favorite that despite being created in the silver age, never got the 8 inch Mego treatment in the 1970s. To be fair, the character hadn’t quite had the media exposure that superheroic peers like the Hulk and Thor had at that point. Mego heads for the last 30 years or so, have been relying on their own custom versions of Matt Murdock.

Flash forward to today, times have changed and DD has enjoyed a string of popular comic adaptions, a feature film and is now the star of his very own and popular TV series.

He is truly the perfect subject for a Diamond Select/EMCE toys Mego style set and one that has been greatly anticipated on the Mego Museum Forums.

While we try to do these Up Close reviews as subjective as possibly, leaving the decision making up to you opinion, a few thoughts:

1) The heads are squishy vinyl! While the solid cast heads never really bugged us here at the MM, this was a subtle and appreciated detail that made it seem a little more retro.

2) The head sculpts are again by Andrew Covalt, giving this Marvel universe a sort of uniformity that is greatly appreciated as it expands.

3) This set is available for purchase at our sponsor Entertainment Earth, all purchases go to fund the Mego Museum in a small way and are greatly appreciated.

Anyway, as with all our Up Close photo reviews, let the pictures do the talking and you be the judge!

DareDevil was another Marvel favorite that despite being created in the silver age, never got the 8 inch Mego treatment in the 1970s. To be fair, the character hadn’t quite had the media exposure that superheroic peers like the Hulk and Thor had at that point. Mego heads for the last 30 years or so,…Read more →
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • comicmike
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 22, 2009

Just plain *awesome*

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

The yellow version is totally awesome!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Ooh man, that's a nice set. They really did a great job on that one. I may have to add that to my Diamond/EMCE Cap.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

This is hands down the best set they've done. It's actually perfect IMO.

I know I've been a harsh critic of this line from the start, but they got it very, very right this time. Great job EMCE!

Comment

• BATMAN89
            Mego obsessed!!!
            • Jul 20, 2010

The set looks great! I will buy it!
            But, but....
            Why in the world didn't they sew in the shorts on the red costume???!!!
            If I get shorts as baggy as in these pics, I'll have to take them in or buy new ones elsewhere.
            Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
            My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

They look pretty good!

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Very cool set. The boots look like their retooled from the Mattel series. Love the artwork. Looks like a simplified Gene Colon illustration. Question - Are the shorts removable? He might look better with those off entirely.
                Last edited by MIB41; Aug 17, '16, 2:32 PM.

Comment

• harvestcrusader
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jul 10, 2015

best set so far other then DEAPOOL IMO

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡