Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To repro or not to repro, that is the question. Whats your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nvmbrsdoom5
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 1, 2005

If I can afford to get all original parts, I will get them. People are telling the truth when they say that searching and patience can often lead to finding good deals on the original parts you need. I picked up some great deals last year at Mego Meet, for example.

But other parts have been much more elusive or out of reach cost-wise, so the repro parts are a nice alternative. If I can eventually get the real deal, I will grab 'em. If this makes me not a real collector to some people, I couldn't care less. My toys make me happy, that's what matters

And I love the repro cards/boxes, they look great for display purposes when the real thing is unattainable. I just love seeing them on my walls or shelves, even if the carboard isn't 30 years old

Comment

• Dave Mc
      Administrator
      • Oct 20, 2002

I've often had to buy new figures to get that one loose part I need. Sometimes you can turn stuff around though. Went in with a friend to buy an Andorian on ebay. It was rough, but it had an original belt and boots. I needed the belt, he needed the boots. We paid $180 for it. We cleaned it up, took the parts we needed, invested in some DM repro parts to complete him and made him look sharp (about $35 worth of parts) and he ended up selling for $250. In the end I got my belt and made $20. That's not always the case, but it can be done.

Comment

• lepage
        The Ape General
        • Aug 12, 2001

to me, repros serve 2 pourposes

#1 To complete an aotherwise incomplete figure (until you can track down the original missing piece)

#2 For customs

The problem is with people passing off repros as originals. Nothing sucks more then winning an auction where someone has listed a figure as being "complete and original" only to get it an find it has repro parts. More often then not, when you call the person out about the repro part they just play stupid and claim to have not known.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎