Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To repro or not to repro, that is the question. Whats your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Here's something to thimk about with repros as well;which would you rather fret over if you somehow lost it? A five dollar repro part or a twenty dollar original part?

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I like repros on my customs only not on my originals I'd rather wait it out and hunt for missing pieces that's what makes collecting Megos fun for me.

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

Love original parts but have no problem having repro at all;as my kids tend to grab them and play with them.For me thats OK ,thats what their for.If I'd had all original then I may get perterbed if they mangled them.
        (I do hide a couple though)I do try to get certain figures all original and do replace repro over time.I still love repros because they are easily obtained and will do just fine.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 27, 2004

Whatever makes you happy. I deal in both. And I co-mingle. Some customs use repro parts, some customs use vintage parts. I'm perfectly satisfied having nice repro Alter Egos since I can't justify the price of originals. Most of my personal Megos have all original parts and I prefer that for my collection, but some have repros (Green Arrow being the most obvious given the price of finding a mint Quiver, or the mask on my RM Robin). On top of it all I display many of my all-original Mego's on repro cards and repro boxes.

The only thing we'll all agree on is that you never pass repro parts off as originals. That breaks the cardinal rule.

So there you go. Whatever you prefer, whatever you can afford, whatever makes you happy. So long as you like Mego's you'll be welcome here.
          Like M.A.S.K.?
          www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

• ctc
            Fear the monkeybat!
            • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Not only do I use repro parts, but I've customized a lot of original figures. My goal is to get the best possible representation of the character. Sometimes that means tweaking a figure. (Like fixing Captain America's uniform, or giving Conan a new torso.)

Don C.

Comment

• Wildstar
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 1, 2005

YOU KNOW WHAT~ I kinda like what I'm reading here~ Original all the way, just a little patience and some deal hunting, and it can be done~~ you have a lifetime to collect~ SUPER-DUPER CHEERS TO ALL ORIGINAL GUYS AND GALS~

WILDSTAR~~~

Comment

• dumbldor
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 9, 2002

I still believe that it would be better if they did not exist at all. But, they do exist (nothing I can do about that), and because they do, I can see how useful they are for customizing and for giving replicas to kids, neither of which I would consider 'Mego collecting'.

Comment

• Hulk
                  Mayor of Megoville
                  • May 10, 2003

While I still try to collect "original" in many cases, I am fine with having repro parts (and even complete figures) in my collection. And I understand those who draw a line in the sand as to whether that is 'Mego collecting', I repectfully disagree and will continue to call it my Mego collection, freely disclosing reproduction parts when selling or when asked about my display.

My Green Arrow is still a Mego in my eyes, whether he has a chinamade Quiver or not, he just doesn't have all OEM parts on him. If I buy classic cars, say a '57 Chevys, chances are pretty slim that I am going to get one with all original parts. It might be more valuable if they do have them, but that doesn't mean I am not a collector of '57 Chevy's. I still would feel obligated to disclose the items that aren't OEM when selling them though.

I understand the distinction (and even some of the disdain) between repro figures and originals, but then again, I consider customs and certain knockoffs to be part of my Mego Collection as well. We all have to define what our collection means to us, that is the best way to look at it. For most of us that is an evolution with shades of grey, opposed to a clear cut issue. But as the original poster has found out, this can be a touchy subject with many differing opinions.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by Hulk
                    But as the original poster has found out, this can be a touchy subject with many differing opinions.
                    Boy did you hit that nail on the head!!!

It is a very cool and interesting discussion old or not. Keep it coming.

I got a bunch of Megos for a good price on different auctions off eBay last month from the same seller. When I got them and after doing a little more research on the MM site I discovered some had parts that where repro.

The seller didn't claim to know they had repro parts, nor did he make any claims to anything being all origonal either.

The only figure I asked about was Thor, looking at the pic I suspected the helmet and wrist bands, but he looked at the MM site and thought they were real.
                    When I got him, it was definatly confirmed they were repro, as well as the hammer being repro also, after doing some research on the MM site.

I couldn't claim any foul on the sellers auction because nothing was worded to warrent such.
                    I still got a great shape figure at a good price and I would have had to track down parts any way if they were missing.

Lynn

Comment

• mego73
                      Printed paperboard Tiger
                      • Aug 1, 2003

I prefer original, of course, but here is my goal, with the figures I get:

I want them to look thier idealized best, I want them to look how I imagined them when I saw them in the Sears Catalog or glimpsed them in a Department store.

I don't want them to look 30 years old, and if repro parts help out in that process, I am all for it.

My nostalga is not tied to when a particular part for a figure was made, as long as it looks the same and achieves that idealized look.

But sellers that try to pass off repro as real ought to be shot at with paint guns loaded with mego heads

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

And considering repro cards/boxes....

Great for packaging your Mego figures, even if you're focused
                        on 100% vintage figures, you can use a more affordable replica card/box

My thought is that you can mix the worlds of Mego collecting to fit
                        your idea of what's reasonable---such as----vintage figures in
                        crisp replica packaging
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                          Formerly known as Del
                          • Dec 12, 2004

I would prefer all-original, as most people would if their budgets allowed. Mine doesn't, so rather than have an incomplete figure, or even worse, not have that character at all, I use repro pieces when I can't get vintage. I would eventually like to replace them all with original Mego, but I know that won't necessarily happen. That's not nearly as important to me as getting other figures, or you know, silly things like paying rent
                          Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                          https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                          http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• VintageMike
                            Permanent Member
                            • Dec 16, 2004

Even though as I've said I'm OK with some repro parts I want to add this. People often overestimate the cost of getting original parts.
                            Many times the cost isn't that different if not the same.
                            Here's an example using Ebay.

Repro Batman Boots

Original Batman Boots

Comment

• Meule
                              Verbose Member
                              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by VintageMike
                              Even though as I've said I'm OK with some repro parts I want to add this. People often overestimate the cost of getting original parts.
                              Many times the cost isn't that different if not the same.
                              Here's an example using Ebay.

Repro Batman Boots

Original Batman Boots

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-ORIGINAL-...QQcmdZViewItem

Let's see you do that with a Zorro hat or a Romulan helmet
                              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Corellian Corvette
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 27, 2004

Or Wonder Woman boots? Or GA parts? What about a set of Teen Titans gloves or boots?

Sure, in some cases its easy. In others, you'll pay as much for a loose figure than you would for some accessories.
                                Like M.A.S.K.?
                                www.albertpenello.com/mask

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎