X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoMark71
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 18, 2008

Have the price of mego's gone down?

I have not been a buyer for a while. When i was building my collection, prices just seemed to be much higher. Maybe i overpaid. Like type 2 Penguin, Joker and Mxyz. I paid a pretty good amount for Joker and decent prices for Penguin and Mxyz. But my asking price is far below what i paid on all my figures for sale. I just don't seem to be getting many offers at all. Has all the newer figures dropped the prices? I hate to send these to ebay. I really wanted them to stay with the museum family of collectors.
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

Penguin and Mxyz have always been lower ticker items. Joker goes up and down based on his popularity atm.

Comment

• MegoMark71
      Permanent Member
      • Dec 18, 2008

I thought the type 2 version was a lot more rare than a type 1. At least it was when i was buying. Maybe i just paid too much.

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Back in the early 2000's a nice loose Joker usually sold for around $60.00

Not sure what the going rate is today.

Comment

• MegoMark71
          Permanent Member
          • Dec 18, 2008

Thanks buddy, glad to see your doing better.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

The prices have gone down since the reproductions have come out. I think the prices will keep falling. Now the Marvel will go down in price since Diamond is remaking them.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
              Permanent Member
              • Mar 7, 2011

I don't think the Remego's have as much to do with it as the Economy, Yes they play some small part but ... When I started Collecting 6 years ago I think Mego's had just hit its peak, I paid some premium prices for some Premium stuff as well, and like all good things trying to resell at the same or higher prices have gone south with the Economy some of the rarer have managed to hold and increase but they are too few and far between... Gas,Tolls, Property Taxes, Mortgage rates, Rents, have all Kept sky-rocketing without a equal rise in cost of living expenses... If it came down to having to put $60 or more bucks a week to gas the car, or an extra $100 a month in groceries because the Dairy went up because shipping went up guess what is going to tale a hit, I was more selective as to what I bought, lurking for low BIN and not gunning it out with other bidders... And some pieces, like you mentioned above are a lot more common so the demand for them is not as high...

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

A decent size of the Mego buying community are the once-off buyers that want a Mego Spider-Man on their work desk etc.

Perhaps a Mego Captain Kirk as a gag gift for a Trek fan.

These people, (which number many) are happy to get a repro because it's much easier and mostly cheaper.

Unfortunately for Mego collectors the people above are far outnumbering real collectors.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

It's my belief the two most impactful measures are new blood and collectors reaching a satisfaction level. There was a time when everyone on this board would spend countless pages talking about building their collections and the dreams of being able to buy newly licensed characters in the Mego scale. Allot of that is old news now because so much of that came to fruition with this virtual explosion of licensed goods. Blend that with collectors who have been around for a reasonable amount of time and allot of demand is down because people have what they want. So what you have left is the new blood, which I think the ReMego market is diluting down. There is SO MUCH stuff out there now, it's hard to fathom how anything in the Mego universe is flourishing in aftermarket values. But it's like anything. All it takes is for one person to pay a little more and the race is back on. I'm sitting back now wondering when this market will hit a saturation level. The amount of new product is just off the wall. That's not a complaint either. But it certainly has to marginalize the entire Mego marketplace that inspired it.

Comment

• mikeMc6
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 24, 2012

I agree with the above post by MIB41...I would like to add that last month I put up a new thread asking what is on everyone's vintage mego wish list. It was my little experiment. The responses were overwhelmingly wants for extremely rare high end pieces. Very few were for starter pieces or more common rare pieces...That to me said there are less and less new collectors entering the market (or joining mego museum for that matter). Sadly Mark, it is a buyer's market for megos and a poor time to sell vintage megos. Even though people are supposedly flush with tax return money, the sales aren't happening. I'm sorry about your reasons for selling and I hope you get some decent money for them.

When the remego stuff started flooding the market, I decided to sell my doubles and triples off before prices dropped and now I focus on the minty, rarer stuff...so I'm part of the reason for lower prices as well.

I conjecture the majority of mego collectors are customizers (mego was really the first customizing figure, sorry CA) so the reissue stuff is great for many here. For the others who are die hard vintage only lovers like me, not as good.

I also agree about the satisfaction/saturation levels are maxed out. I believe most members with at least 1,000 posts on this site have 95% of what they want, barring that pesky AE or what have you.

Ebay is dreadful but you may get a better response on facebook selling...a less chummy place, and colder too, but useful, I dunno.

I also agree with the statement about rising costs of living...and in the future (100 years?) no one will collect anything that cannot be electronically enjoyed. Think about it.
                    INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
                    WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                      Banned
                      • Jun 23, 2001

Wait til tax returns start coming in...right now it is a buyers market. By the end of March/early April you'll probably get a few more looks and buys. Then for about 3 months it is a sellers market. Then it dies down around the beginning of July till about the end of September.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Mike has described me: I need a few rare pieces, and some upgrades, but really my collection is nearly as extensive as I'd like. My aim has mostly been to have a mint loose set of various lines. I don't need every variant (just the one I like best), multiples, or packaging to make me happy.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• tllgn
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 6, 2010

on Ebay prices seem rather high,its best to check the going rate on this site,i kinda look at the new retro mego movement as mego continued,and
                          have been buying a lot of new figures that have been produced from FTC,Emce & bif bang pow lately,so i havent bought any classic stuff ,because of
                          this.although i still need some more classic mego things.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

I sincerely hope the prices are going down. I'm gearing up to get serious about collecting loose minty WGSH, so I could use a little help in the price department. I am finding the repro figures, nice as they are, don't give me the same thrill as the real thing. I know, stupid, right?

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

Heck no, not at all stupid even though FTC, EMCE, remade the megos, they are in fact (remakes) there's
                              nothing like an original. The good thing about EMCE and FTC is that they created repros of characters
                              Mego never made which is great in it self, but having originals does give you that special sort of satisfactory feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎