Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOY HUNTER Returns April 10th. SEASON TWO STARTS WITH A BANG!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alex
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 15, 2009

Id actually prefer a "antiques roadshow" type, at least its real, not this cheesy grinning over the top balony. No your right, its great to see the toys we collect, but at least try and con the audience into something more believable.

Comment

• Mr. Hollywood
      Museum Super Collector
      • Nov 29, 2012

Alex,

Just so you know I have been to the Antiques Road Show, and its far from "real". The interactions you see on camera are shot 3 to 4 times each. The best take is what they use. It may seem more real but it's not even close to how you would imagine it to be.

Comment

• Mr. Hollywood
        Museum Super Collector
        • Nov 29, 2012

Alex,

Just so you know I have been to the Antiques Road Show, and its far from "real". The interactions you see on camera are shot 3 to 4 times each. The best take is what they use. It may seem more real but it's not even close to how you would imagine it to be.

Comment

• megoat
          A Therefore Experience
          • Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I find these "picker" type shows sort of difficult to watch (and I pick for a living). I find Antiques Roadshow more interesting. I'd actually LOVE a show that showed what it's REALLY like in the field--of course it would be edited, but absolutely NO scripting--shot documentary style--the "non finds" could be as interesting as the finds if done right.....

Comment

• alex
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 15, 2009

Only watched the english versions, which I watched regularly with my Dad(hes the one I get my collector bug from, he collects fine art, from swords, porcelain,coins, paintings and just general antique furniture) and still download him new Uk episodes. It all seems so less cheesy and more natural and genuine, people being surprised by the history of the piece, and off coarse the price, maybe its just that english "reserved" behaviour, and not jumping around and bubblegum grinning, gee wizz style.

Comment

• tllgn
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 6, 2010

staged or not Toy hunter is a lot of fun to watch-its a show!!

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

Of course i'm sure most of it is staged, I think he said here that it takes them hours of film to just cut it to 10 minutes or something, and yes no doubt prices have gone up on ebay since the show first aired , but i watch it for entertainment only , I'm pretty sure i have the same knowledge in toys that he does..most of the toys and stuff he features i already know

but it's just fun for me seeing the stuff I like and collect on TV
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• weshightower21
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Sep 16, 2011

I dont know which episode it was but he paid this lady 20 bucks for a moc bobba fett! I'll find the episode. And it wasn't a vintage re release figure either.

Comment

• weshightower21
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Sep 16, 2011

That guy in the last episode (Peter) i think his name was,wow that guy was a real turd he didn't sell ****. But all he had was mostly schwag anyways.

Comment

• weshightower21
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Sep 16, 2011

Now that i think about it the moc bobba fett i mentioned, it was a quick purchase and never said anything about it being moc i just thougt helluva bargain. But he did offer that old lady 1500 hundred for a complete set of the star trek aliens line when the Romulan could go for a thousand easy. unpunched even.

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by weshightower21
                        Now that i think about it the moc bobba fett i mentioned, it was a quick purchase and never said anything about it being moc i just thougt helluva bargain. But he did offer that old lady 1500 hundred for a complete set of the star trek aliens line when the Romulan could go for a thousand easy. unpunched even.
                        I believe he mentioned here that the lady then changed her mind and wanted more so he sent her like an extra $1000 or something like that
                        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Hollywood
                          Alex,

I agree. I have never found that show credible. You can't in good faith offer solid market values on really anything if your not immersed in it as a personal collector. I size them up as no better than the "experts' you hear on radio call in shows that pretend like their guessing when their reading from a book. Toy Hunter is BY FAR the most credible show when it comes to profiling product.

Comment

• Splitty
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 25, 2012

I've been enjoying this season quite alot.
                            I'm over that 'oh noeee! they'll drive up local prices when I'm g-saleing!' stage (because honestly, I think that's minimal if at all, ebay's been the real culprit on that one). And I'm just enjoying Jordan taking us through toy tutorials, meeting other collectors, and getting excited about the toys. I can't believe how many lines I missed or didn't know was out there when I was a kid!

I was scandalizedand ourtraged when that dude wouldn't sell. The nerve! I felt bad for Jordan.
                            I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• megoat
                              A Therefore Experience
                              • Jun 10, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                              I agree. I have never found that show credible. You can't in good faith offer solid market values on really anything if your not immersed in it as a personal collector. I size them up as no better than the "experts' you hear on radio call in shows that pretend like their guessing when their reading from a book. Toy Hunter is BY FAR the most credible show when it comes to profiling product.
                              Seriously? You don't think the Keno brothers are informed enough to give accurate appraisals of early American furniture? You don't think Rafael Eledge knows Civil War relics? Lark Mason is just guessing when he values Chinese art? What a load of BS.......

Comment

• dee T.
                                Veteran Member
                                • Sep 25, 2012

I thought the episode when Gene Simmons only offered Jordan a one of his gold records instead of cash, which Gene could have EASILY forked over for that RC van and that view-master was staged. I think if I was in Jordan's shoes I think I would be really appalled by Gene as go-get agent for any future finds.
                                Clothes make the doll

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎