Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TOY HUNTER Returns April 10th. SEASON TWO STARTS WITH A BANG!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ I think Jordan is very upfront about the fact these shows have to be scripted so there is a narrative for television. But the heart of the show is profiling the classic toy lines and offering backgrounds on them. It provides valuable insight into some lines and makes for enjoyable viewing. I have met one of the guys he has bought from and he says Jordon is very reputable in his transactions and is respectful of the process. So I think you might be heaping too much blame on Jordan for a format he ultimately does not have final say in. They can't just sit around a table and talk toys for 30 minutes. There has to be some entertainment structure to the show that pulls in more people than just the diehards. For granted, when the shows pull in celebrities, it becomes less about the hobby and more about the egos of the entertainer. But those moments are few and far between. So I don't feel like the show is in any way deceiving anyone. The story is just a pacing tool for entertainment value. But the topics presented are the heart of why people tune in. And I think Jordan brings credibility to the topic.

Comment

• mvanis
      Career Member
      • Feb 5, 2013

^^ For sure. You have to understand that all of the shows you mentioned HAVE to have some sort of pre-planning or they would be awful shows and wouldn't be on the air. I think as long as people understand that, and watch the shows simply to see/learn/enjoy it's a much different perspective. If you look at any one of the shows (Pickers, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, Toy Hunter) can you imagine if there was no script, pre-planning, or editing? It would be so incredibly boring because the downtime is significantly more than the exciting stuff.

Even the last episode when Mark becomes the 'enemy competition' - those guys know that things work on a first come first serve basis, and I'm guessing if they bumped into each other in the same situation in real life, they'd laugh, shake hands, and move on. That's just not entertaining for 99% of the people who watch the show.

Really, I'm thankful that there's interest in these shows because I enjoy just seeing the stuff they find, and even learning a bit about something I may not have known. When I'm out and about hunting stuff, the more information I have- the better.
      Looking for:
      • Lincoln Monsters (Any condition)
      • Boxed Mego Monsters
      • AHI Jigglers / Bendy Monsters (Carded and Loose)
      • ANYTHING Monster related

Founder - The Toy Archives

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
        CALLING ALL DUKES !!
        • May 12, 2011

more info to the public = higher prices paid by the collector. I know my name isn't Donald Trump. You have made my point exactly. thanks
        "JUST 2 GOOD OLE BOYS,NEVER MEANING NO HARM "

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by TMANSTOYS
          Don't watch the show. I really don't care.
          Well, more power to you. And, we really don't care.

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
            CALLING ALL DUKES !!
            • May 12, 2011

Man, Ian that was harsh. Thanks for responding to my post it shows me that you do care.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
              One eyed, wonder
              • Dec 17, 2009

This is my favorite episode so far. Seattle comic con was fantasitic. I was only able to attend the last day, but it rekindled my comic collecting interest for the first time, in well over a decade.
              Thanks.

Comment

• mvanis
                Career Member
                • Feb 5, 2013

Originally posted by TMANSTOYS
                more info to the public = higher prices paid by the collector. I know my name isn't Donald Trump. You have made my point exactly. thanks
                I think there's SOME validity in your point, but the overall impact on the collector has got to be fairly small. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to buy vintage Star Wars stuff from folks who think they've got a gold mine because they've heard 'it's worth a ton of money' - all it takes is educating them a bit and being honest. Sure you'll run across people who still think they've got thousands of dollars worth when they have a bag of loose figures or whatever, but you can't win 'em all. In terms of the shows driving prices up- information doesn't dictate price. Have a small impact, maybe, but an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
                Looking for:
                • Boxed Mego Monsters

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^As far as that is concerned, on the show, Jordan has pointed out to folks that condition matters. The guy at the toy design firm and his "mint" on card Thundercats figures, for instance. The cards were rough, and Jordan told him they were, even though the guy seemed to resist the idea they were worth less because of this.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• mvanis
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 5, 2013

Yeah- everyone has a very different idea of condition too. Items that are 'mint' often end up being average at best. I always have excellent luck when I just help people understand what they have, what it's worth, and what I'll pay. Honesty goes a long way, and most people appreciate that. I've had a few times that people have blown up and thought I was lowballing them, but it's pretty rare. As far as ebay prices go- most people have zero desire to sell or even attempt to sell on eBay and are just looking to make quick cash on what they've got. If you're talking collector to collector, or even dealer to collector, you're generally working with someone who either A) knows what they have, or B) have done the research to know the value. I really sincerely doubt that these shows have anything more than a minuscule impact on prices.
                    Looking for:
                    • Boxed Mego Monsters

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                      CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                      • May 12, 2011

Its all cool my fellow members. I see all your points. Really have watched the show only once. He does seem really honest. Seems like the good deals on any old toy is harder to find these days. But I'm still on the hunt !!

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Anything that is educational to the consumer is worth watching. I think TMANSTOYS' angst may come from the fact he might have to pay market value for some of these items due to that heightened awareness. But honestly every transaction is it's own beast. Unless you spend all of your time at shows that are manipulated by market perception, the remaining landscape of commerce comes from people of all backgrounds that likely have no knowledge of this show to begin with. So the process of free commerce still reigns supreme. The only sell that counts is where buyer and seller agree to terms. Whether that jives with the marketplace "norm" is of no relevance.

Comment

• TMANSTOYS
                          CALLING ALL DUKES !!
                          • May 12, 2011

Now I know I don't like that dark haired guy from Pickers. That laugh is fake. Dealt with a guy like this ...makes you think he is your buddy then tries to take you to the cleaners. Like the girl though. look up danielle diesel and you will see why.

Comment

• mightyquinn
                            Proud to be a Nerd
                            • Aug 4, 2009

Originally posted by toys2cool
                            Dam he was in Miami? Post next time you'll be here, i'll sell you some cool stuff man:
                            Yea, I was wondering if you were gonna get a visit from Jordan. I watch the same episode 2 and 3 times because 30 minutes just aint enough!
                            Last edited by mightyquinn; May 3, '13, 8:02 PM.
                            Wanted: Lincoln Dracula & Hunchback, AHI Male Creature, Remco Phantom, Ghost of Captain Kid, 8" Tomlands

Comment

• alex
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jun 15, 2009

I actually watched this show about 30 min for the first time with the mego trek. Sure enjoyable, but found the whole thing a bit forced and staged, especially the bit him pulling up, and the filming is being done off the street, as Mark is putting the stuff in his car, and Jordan is driving up, yeah sure shock, horror

Comment

• mightyquinn
                                Proud to be a Nerd
                                • Aug 4, 2009

Originally posted by alex
                                I actually watched this show about 30 min for the first time with the mego trek. Sure enjoyable, but found the whole thing a bit forced and staged, especially the bit him pulling up, and the filming is being done off the street, as Mark is putting the stuff in his car, and Jordan is driving up, yeah sure shock, horror
                                Come on Alex, you gotta admit, seeing toys we collect on tv is pretty amazing. If if wasn't somewhat staged, we would be all watching another version of antique roadshow.
                                Wanted: Lincoln Dracula & Hunchback, AHI Male Creature, Remco Phantom, Ghost of Captain Kid, 8" Tomlands

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎