Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CantinaDan
    • May 2, 2011

3 3/4" MEGO Rarities

I'm a big fan of MEGO's 3 3/4" lines. Just a great combination of nostalgia + quirkiness + kitsch. Whenever someone is over looking at my collection I get the same reaction: "There were Love Boat action figures!?"

I've made pretty good progress collecting chunks of these lines, but man, there are some pieces that are the rarest of the rare. Of course, the first that come to mind are the second wave Black Hole figures, particularly Humanoid and Old B.O.B. Those are on my "keep dreaming" list. But there are some other items I've been watching for for quite a while and just have not seen:

1) The Greatest American Hero bug. You see Bill and Ralph come up occasionally, but never the bug. How rare is this thing?! I've heard fellow collectors say they remember these things sitting on clearance at KBs. Well, where the heck are they now?

2) The Boss Hogg Caddy. I have seen this a couple times but not sure if ever complete, ie - missing the horns on the front.

3) C.B. McHaul everything. I just bought the rig that came up on eBay this week. Seemed to be in good shape and almost complete. But it may be a while before I have anyone to drive it!

4) Star Trek the Motion Picture wave 2. I'm not a big Trek fan and don't even have wave 1. But the expense and rarity of wave two kinda scares me away for this line all together.

5) Comic Action Hero playsets like the Collapsing Tower and Exploding Bridge. I so want that Invisible Jet.

6) Little stuff like Captain America's shield and Batman's batrope and Green Goblin's satchel.

I guess I'm just curious to hear about your experiences collecting some of these things. Or to just hear that I'm not alone in my love for the smaller MEGO stuff!
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

don't forget the foreign mego like ones too. i've seen some japanese heroes like ultraman that look just like the mego pocket heroes line!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I think the CAH stuff is pretty easy to come by. My wife has the WW exploding tower/Invisible Jet set.

I don't recall ever seeing the GAH Bug set as a kid. If I had, I would have bought it for sure. Loved the show and couldn't understand the lack of merchandise for it. I do recall endcaps with the Pocket Heroes Batmobile set and General Lee set. My mom bought them for me both from such displays at our local Ben Franklin's.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

just sold the WW collapsing tower/invisible jet and explosing bridge playsets not too long ago along with all my comeplete CAH figures. In the beginning of my Mego collecting I never intended to branch out into the 3 3/4 line but it quickly became one of my favorites.

Comment

• CantinaDan
          • May 2, 2011

Originally posted by Marvelmania
          just sold the WW collapsing tower/invisible jet
          I think I bid on that!

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

no, I sold it here in the MM Marketplace. I sold all of my CAH items to the same member here.

Comment

• RickD
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 31, 2011

I sold off my entire Star Trek 3 3/4 inch MOC figures awhile back. The aliens have kind of faded off like most mego star trek items.

I would say the hard item to get out of the 3 3/4 inch series is the JC Penny mailer aliens.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I think loose aliens are getting a little easier to find, at least on my end, I snagged a bunch for $5 each at a toy show not too long ago. I absolutely love them.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i sold off mt ST:TMP line a while back as well. they are cool I just did not want them anymore.

Brian, $5 is a really great price. even if they have come down in price over time, that is still really cheap

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff

Brian, $5 is a really great price. even if they have come down in price over time, that is still really cheap
                    Oh yeah, I was chuffed. They hung around the guys table at $20 each all day at the end he just said "Give me $20 for all four" nice dude.

Comment

• RickD
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 31, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Oh yeah, I was chuffed. They hung around the guys table at $20 each all day at the end he just said "Give me $20 for all four" nice dude.
                      Brian,

have you ever see the ST Alien mailers from JC penny's for sale?

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I was offered one privately, as memory serves the guy had paid a great deal for it and it was around Christmas time, so I had to pass.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                          Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                          • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Any chance you have any left and they are doubles?

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                            Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                            • Jan 22, 2008

BTW CantinaDan, I found an Old b.o.b. in a $5 box of toys at a flea market couple years back, traded it to a member here though, so I no longer have it. But, you just never know what's going to turn up, that's what keeps me looking. I also passed on a carded love Boat figure for $9 yesterday (was the young girl Julie? if so that's who it was).

Comment

• CantinaDan
                              • May 2, 2011

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                              BTW CantinaDan, I found an Old b.o.b. in a $5 box of toys at a flea market couple years back
                              Wow! I love hearing about those kinds of jackpots! Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎