Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LadyZod
    Superman's Gal Pal
    • Jan 27, 2007

Lake Placid, FL (REALLY long post; too many pics)

As you may be aware, the Travelling Mego (or Hobo, The Vagabond Mego, as I've taken to calling him) has been holed up in Lake Placid, Florida for the past couple of weeks.

During his time here, he got to experience a genuine Floridian Hurricane Season level Tropical Storm, Codename: "Fay"

Jim (my husband) was kind enough to play tour guide during the storm.

Once the first sunny day after the storm past, we ventured forth into the town of Lake Placid.

Unfortunately, it started to get cloudy and drizzle once we got into town. Typical.

What is there to do in a podunk little town that's in the middle of nowhere, Florida you might ask? Well, you'll be sorry you asked because the answer is a little scary. But we'll get to that...

First things first, a little history lesson:

In 1927 Dr. Melvil Dewey, creator of the Dewey Decimal System for cataloging library books, came to town. Being a native of Lake Placid, NY, he figured this town would be a perfect summertime sister city. He convinced the Florida legistrative branch to change the name of the town, and started work on transforming this place into a resort town. It didn't hurt that there are 27 freshwater lakes, a highway going right through town, and a railroad stop.

I know, less talky, more pictures...

Nowadays, Lake Placid, Florida is known for a couple of things. Weird things.

One of the things LP is known for is Caladiums. The Chamber of Commerce proudly proclaims we are the Caladium Capital of the World. Right. That's not as weird as being known as the Town of Murals though. Which Murals you ask? These:

There are 40 in total. For information or to see official pictures of them, you can visit: http://www.htn.net/lplacid/murals/murals.htm

They tell the story of our town in pictures. Like all stories should be told, quite frankly.

Now, besides be founded by a guy who's system of book filing is no longer used, having more caladiums than anyone would ever have use for, and drawing pretty pictures on our walls... we also decorate our trashcans.

I think it's done to confuse tourists. Others think the retirees just don't like seeing trashcans, and the wimsy aspect helps.

There's about 15 of them scattered throughout town. Photos can be seen at Mural Society's website.

Here's me with a Mego Hobo and a trashcan. Says alot doesn't it?

And now we come to the weirdest fact about Lake Placid, Fl...

Lake Placid proudly claims to have more clowns per capita than any other town in Florida.

You heard right. MORE CLOWNS PER CAPITA!

And no, not just safe fake painted clowns... oh no, THEY TRAIN REAL CLOWNS HERE! REAL CLOWNS!

Unfortunately we couldn't find any real clowns that day to pose with Hobo. So we went home, where a small delegation of my home megos (the welcoming committee) came out to greet Hobo, and to wish him a good trip to his next stop!

And if you want information on the clown college, visit : http://www.lpfla.com/visit/toby.htm

Classes are starting soon. But stay away from me. Freaky clowns walking around all willy nilly like it's normal. And people wonder why I hate going shopping downtown!

Anna

PS: This photo is the most perfect representation of our town.

This is a visual Lake Placid in a nutshell: Weird mural-esc bench, freaky clown, and all around, surrounded by those caladiums I kept talking about.

Behind the bench, in the window there is a poster for our annual Caladium Festival. They love those plants so much, they gave them a festival. Yup. Also, you can make out the store's SUMMER business hours. Yes, a business on a main street, in down town, closed on nights and weekends. Heck, it's not unusual to find signs on store doors that read: CLOSED: Gone Fishing or Gone Golfing. How do they stay in business? Don't know, but I want some of THAT business.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

Great pictures! Thanks very much I really enjoyed looking at them and going on a little tour with you :D

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Cool pics
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• sauce
          Removed
          • Jun 24, 2007

LadyZod, you rocked it! What a great tour and fabulous descriptions! The Hobo is lookin' fine and it is great fun to see how he has evolved. I'm diggin' this soooo much!!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Now that was a mini-movie. Great work!

Keep that guy on the road!!!!
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• mitchedwards
              Mego Preservation Society
              • May 2, 2003

Great pics. Overkill is the next person to get the figure.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• LadyZod
                Superman's Gal Pal
                • Jan 27, 2007

Hey Overkill, PM or email me your address and the Hobo will be on his way.
                Check out my art:
                Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• txteach
                  Banned
                  • Jun 17, 2005

Where is the custom travelor now?

Comment

• mitchedwards
                    • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by txteach
                    Where is the custom travelor now?
                    Lost as best I can tell. I have PMd the last person to have it and have gotten no replies

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Aw shucks! I hope it surfaces. This was a pretty fun thread.
                      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• sauce
                        Removed
                        • Jun 24, 2007

any updates, Overkill?

Comment

• mitchedwards
                          • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by nayrbgo
                          any updates, Overkill?
                          The custom traveller is still MIA. If anyone knows overkill please get in touch with him

The regular Mego is on his way to his final destination

Comment

• mitchedwards
                            • May 2, 2003

One last time to find the custom traveler. Last pics and posts here show Bobait had it last. It was supposed to travel to Merlyn1976

Can anyone update us on her location?

Comment

• Meule
                              Verbose Member
                              • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by mitchedwards
                              One last time to find the custom traveler. Last pics and posts here show Bobait had it last. It was supposed to travel to Merlyn1976

Can anyone update us on her location?
                              Come on, don't tell me we've lost another one
                              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• LadyZod
                                Superman's Gal Pal
                                • Jan 27, 2007

Any word from the regular travelling mego? I'm looking forward to his further adventures.
                                Check out my art:
                                Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                                Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎