Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

It is nice that the toy companies have a way to get feedback from the intended audience of their products. Imagine how much better Mego's Captain America would have turned out if they could have previewed it in a similar arena back in the day.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Iron Mego
      I, for one, agree. There is a hint of entitlement in much of the complaining and "suggesting" that goes on around here. The manufacturers of these toys really owe us nothing. If they are open to suggestions, great. If not, so be it. If we like the end product we buy it, if we don't we pass on it. You can't please everyone, and no matter what the manufacturers do someone won't be happy.
      Heh, we should make this part of our mission statement
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mattildo
        Here is a quick adjustment to the skintone, reduced pupils, darkened eyelids and enhanced fangs. At that link location, you can click the image to zoom.

and the screen-cap references again...

http://en.swoopshare.com/file/28a2f5...t+caps&lang=en
        The adjustments in the photo make an already great figure look FANTASTIC!!
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

And those are simple fixes if the production doesn't get it right.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Mattildo
            • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by jessica
            And those are simple fixes if the production doesn't get it right.

Great! Just make sure to post your address so I can send my figure to you for its "make-over"!

Comment

• slats7
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jun 20, 2007

Originally posted by mhackley
              I admire your take on customer satisfaction.

But to answer the naysayers, I personally don't consider myself to be a "yes man" accepting anything a company puts in front of me. I merely refuse to adhere to the fanboy credo of COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN. Especially given that the figure looks strikingly close to the source material.
              I've seen no evidence of that in this thread. Most of the "complaints" have been measured, constructive, and aimed at making the final product better. People are well aware that this is merely a prototype, and there's plenty of time to get it right. Since the manufacturer seems to place a high value on authenticity, I'm sure they'll welcome these well-meaning critiques and suggestions.

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by drmego
                I got a chance to play with Bigfoot at NY Comiccon. There are some
                changes to the lower legs and arms to give him more stature and
                reach.

I did mention the darker skin to one of the BBP principals, so
                they are aware of it. It may be difficult to hit a shade that isn't
                brown.
                Paul, my take on the face is the hair should be curlier/frizzier. The beard is too full to the sides. They could trim it a little on the right and left. Maybe more forehead? A balder forehead makes him look more primate-like as in the show. I think that would help separate it from looking like Dan Haggerty/Grizzly Adams. However if BBP doesn't want to re-sculpt the head I think it will work out if they do this: fur and hair should be very Dark Brown to nearly Black and face should be a medium brown or a dirtied up brown. Brian/Palitoy's re-coloring looks correct. Maybe a darker brown or near black paint can be painted in the recesses under the eye-brows to the top of the eye lids, darker brown circles on the lower eyelids. Paint the eyebrows as bushier. That will make those eyes pop as they do in the publicity still from the show. They should be aiming for a "scary" face. No fat body and no belly under the fur will help. I think a change in the paint apps alone will accomplish this for most.

Last edited by johnmiic; Oct 20, '11, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Mattildo
                  • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by johnmiic
                  Paul, my take on the face is the hair should be curlier/frizzier. The beard is too full to the sides. They could trim it a little on the right and left. Maybe more forehead? A balder forehead makes him look more primate-like as in the show. I think that would help separate it from looking like Dan Haggerty/Grizzly Adams. However if BBP doesn't want to re-sculpt the head I think it will work out if they do this: fur and hair should be very Dark Brown to nearly Black and face should be a medium brown or a dirtied up brown. Brian/Palitoy's re-coloring looks correct. Maybe a darker brown or near black paint can be painted in the recesses under the eye-brows to the top of the eye lids, darker brown circles on the lower eyelids. Paint the eyebrows as bushier. That will make those eyes pop as they do in the publicity still from the show. They should be aiming for a "scary" face. No fat body and no belly under the fur will help. I think a change in the paint apps alone will accomplish this for most.

I agree with all those suggestions. The character's hair was Andre's real hair, which was pretty much a wild, frizzy semi-fro, with no bangs and parted in the middle. The prototype seems to have a more "coifed" style to it with the large curls and bangs (it looks much more like the wig Ted Cassidy wore in the follow-up Bigfoot episodes). But I realize it would be very difficult to sculpt the hair in Andre's actual hairstyle on such a small figure.

I emailed the links to this thread and the sample images to SMDM producer and the writer of the Bigfoot episodes, Kenneth Johnson. I asked him for his thoughts on the figure. His response to me: "I like your version better."

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Mattildo
                    I agree with all those suggestions. The character's hair was Andre's real hair, which was pretty much a wild, frizzy semi-fro, with no bangs and parted in the middle. The prototype seems to have a more "coifed" style to it with the large curls and bangs (it looks much more like the wig Ted Cassidy wore in the follow-up Bigfoot episodes). But I realize it would be very difficult to sculpt the hair in Andre's actual hairstyle on such a small figure.

I emailed the links to this thread and the sample images to SMDM producer and the writer of the Bigfoot episodes, Kenneth Johnson. I asked him for his thoughts on the figure. His response to me: "I like your version better."
                    WOW. Kenneth Johnson! And Thank You for the info on the SMDM Soundtrack. Maybe you could get some help from the publication/website Film Score Monthly? They seem to have some luck getting soundtracks from TV shows released.

Comment

• Mattildo
                      • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by johnmiic
                      WOW. Kenneth Johnson! And Thank You for the info on the SMDM Soundtrack. Maybe you could get some help from the publication/website Film Score Monthly? They seem to have some luck getting soundtracks from TV shows released.
                      Unfortunately, FSM is about to cease operations. Over the years, I had contacted them, Varese Sarabande, and La La Land Records about releasing SMDM soundtracks on CD. All three had expressed serious interest, but for almost 15 years, Universal was unable to do any licensing with SMDM/BW due to an ongoing contract dispute with the estate of SMDM creator Martin Caidin. Since that legal mess has finally been settled, the DVDs have been released, a new comic book is being published, and now this new line of Bif Bang Pow collectibles is on the way. The timing couldn't be better for Oliver Nelson's fantastic scores to finally be released on CD.
                      Last edited by Mattildo; Oct 21, '11, 4:12 PM.

Comment

• twilitezoner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 18, 2007

I can't believe this is actually happening. Probably my two favorite shows (SMDM & BSG) next to Star Trek growing up.

It really brings back a lot of memories. A big thank you to all those who are making this possible.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                          GLOWS in the Dark!
                          • May 3, 2006

I am/was very excited about this figure, but disappointed in the prototype. Mattildo's adjustments make it look MUCH better, but I agree, it should be a more menacing sculpt. As of right now, he doesn't look intimidating at all, he looks like a teddy bear. Say what you want about the old Kenner figure, but at least he looks mean, and I prefer it over this version by far.

Comment

• kennermike
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                            I am/was very excited about this figure, but disappointed in the prototype. Mattildo's adjustments make it look MUCH better, but I agree, it should be a more menacing sculpt. As of right now, he doesn't look intimidating at all, he looks like a teddy bear. Say what you want about the old Kenner figure, but at least he looks mean, and I prefer it over this version by far.
                            amen on what you said about the kenner Bigfoot figure Bro
                            Last edited by kennermike; Oct 22, '11, 6:47 PM.

Comment

• jetzjungle
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jul 25, 2011

Mean and leaner Bigfoot all the way! I think the adjustments really work to capture the look and menacing spirit of Bigfoot in the episode! With a removable arm too!

Comment

• Mattildo
                                • Oct 11, 2011

Jason has posted a new Bigfoot prototype image and details about its size at the blog. It looks like there has been some (recommended) adjustments to the paint.

http://www.bifbangpow.com/2011/10/size-matters.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎