Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

The Big Foot would be even cooler if it had a changeo head sculpted like Ted Cassidy as well as the Andre the Giant.

Comment

• Mattildo
      • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by madmarva
      The Big Foot would be even cooler if it had a changeo head sculpted like Ted Cassidy as well as the Andre the Giant.
      That would be cool (but just to nitpick, Cassidy was 8" shorter and weighed 200 pounds less than Andre).

My main concern is that the figure be in proper scale, which means it needs to be 9.75" tall.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mattildo
        So we're supposed to be happy with whatever the final product is? The purpose of any constructive criticism is to help make sure the final product is as accurate and pleasing to as many fans as possible — ensuring both happy customers and maximized sales for BBP, and thus increasing the likelihood of further releases in the line. As Chief Creative Consultant to TimeLife's massive DVD release of The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Collection, I can assure you that a company's willingness to listen to and take advice from fans makes for a better product. It appears BBP is one of those companies, and is to be commended — and rewarded — for it.
        Thank you, sir, for your fantastic opinion and understanding. Nobody needs a "yes man". I think the Bigfoot figure is a great start to the SMDM line!
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Mattildo
          • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
          I think this line will be a massive hit. I hope they make Steve Austin with his traditional tan outfit he used in so many missions. In my eyes, that outfit is more iconic than the red jogging suit that Kenner promoted. In the show, you only saw that red outfit in the origin story and a traditional version in the Bionic Woman story when he and Jamie were running together. Outside of that, he was in his mission threads. And when you look at most customs, that is what people put him in.

The red track suit was actually used in several other episodes throughout Seasons 1-3. The khaki "adventure fatigues" was by far the most common outfit to be worn by Steve. The reason? The producers were able to "recycle" footage of Steve in action when wearing the khaki outfit. In fact, some of the footage of Steve running through the woods, right before he encounters Andre, in "The Secret of Bigfoot" was lifted from the previous season's "The Pioneers". Lee Majors' appearance changed too much in Seasons 4 & 5 to use recycled footage, so the khaki outfit disappeared, in favor of the much more "stylish" one-piece zip-up jumpsuits.
          Last edited by Mattildo; Oct 17, '11, 6:25 PM. Reason: fixed quote embed

Comment

• Mattildo
            • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            Thank you, sir, for your fantastic opinion and understanding. Nobody needs a "yes man". I think the Bigfoot figure is a great start to the SMDM line!
            Thanks. As a huge fan and collector of SMDM, there are few who are as excited about this upcoming line as I am. That said, ever since I first saw SMDM and started collecting back in 1973 (as a 7-year-old kid), I was never one to buy just any product simply because it had a "SMDM" label on it. I was always well aware of products that were released simply as "cash grabs". Then and now, I'm mostly interested in products that are accurate and well-represent the property. All I ever ask is that just a little thought and attention to detail goes into the product.

Over the years, I've been fortunate and honored to be able to contribute to a few "official" SMDM products, including Rittenhouse Archive's 2004 trading card set, Herbie J Pilato's The Bionic Book, Time Life's Complete SMDM DVD Collection, and Fabulous Films' upcoming complete DVD collections of both SMDM and The Bionic Woman for the U.K. market.
            Last edited by Mattildo; Oct 17, '11, 6:39 PM.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Well Hulk was never really in scale on the Mego line, right?
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Mattildo
                • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by jessica
                Well Hulk was never really in scale on the Mego line, right?
                Correct. Which is why I never owned it.

BTW Jessica, incredible job on your custom Zira!

Comment

• drmego
                  EMCE Toys
                  • Jun 15, 2001

I got a chance to play with Bigfoot at NY Comiccon. There are some
                  changes to the lower legs and arms to give him more stature and
                  reach.

I did mention the darker skin to one of the BBP principals, so
                  they are aware of it. It may be difficult to hit a shade that isn't
                  brown.
                  www.drmego.com
                  www.megoman.com
                  www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• kennermike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 4, 2007

Originally posted by drmego
                    I got a chance to play with Bigfoot at NY Comiccon. There are some
                    changes to the lower legs and arms to give him more stature and
                    reach.

I did mention the darker skin to one of the BBP principals, so
                    they are aware of it. It may be difficult to hit a shade that isn't
                    brown.
                    do you know if these figures are gonna have any bionic parts or bionic stickers at least on them?

Comment

• mhackley
                      • May 27, 2008

Originally posted by Mattildo
                      So we're supposed to be happy with whatever the final product is? The purpose of any constructive criticism is to help make sure the final product is as accurate and pleasing to as many fans as possible — ensuring both happy customers and maximized sales for BBP, and thus increasing the likelihood of further releases in the line. As Chief Creative Consultant to TimeLife's massive DVD release of The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Collection, I can assure you that a company's willingness to listen to and take advice from fans makes for a better product. It appears BBP is one of those companies, and is to be commended — and rewarded — for it.
                      I admire your take on customer satisfaction.

But to answer the naysayers, I personally don't consider myself to be a "yes man" accepting anything a company puts in front of me. I merely refuse to adhere to the fanboy credo of COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN. Especially given that the figure looks strikingly close to the source material.
                      Last edited by mhackley; Oct 17, '11, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Mattildo
                        • Oct 11, 2011

Here is a quick adjustment to the skintone, reduced pupils, darkened eyelids and enhanced fangs. At that link location, you can click the image to zoom.

and the screen-cap references again...

Last edited by Mattildo; Oct 17, '11, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

Mattildo, can you tell us if they plan on releasing the Soundtrack to The SMDM? Playing that music on CD would go great as we play with our figures.

Comment

• Mattildo
                            • Oct 11, 2011

Originally posted by johnmiic
                            Mattildo, can you tell us if they plan on releasing the Soundtrack to The SMDM? Playing that music on CD would go great as we play with our figures.
                            Man don't I wish! A series of SMDM CD soundtracks is the holy grail of my wish list. Oliver Nelson's amazing score deserves to be preserved on CD — yesterday! I'm still surprised it hasn't been released by now. The Bionic Woman has four volumes of its Joe Harnell scores available on CD, and we fans have been praying SMDM gets the same treatment. I've been discussing the issue for years with another fan, and we are going to begin serious research and campaign to (hopefully) make it happen.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by mhackley
                              I admire your take on customer satisfaction.

But to answer the naysayers, I personally don't consider myself to be a "yes man" accepting anything a company puts in front of me. I merely refuse to adhere to the fanboy credo of COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN. Especially given that the figure looks strikingly close to the source material.
                              I, for one, agree. There is a hint of entitlement in much of the complaining and "suggesting" that goes on around here. The manufacturers of these toys really owe us nothing. If they are open to suggestions, great. If not, so be it. If we like the end product we buy it, if we don't we pass on it. You can't please everyone, and no matter what the manufacturers do someone won't be happy.
                              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• generic
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jun 25, 2009

I've been following this thread just because it's cool to hear about the new Mego-like products; even though this particular line isn't really my cup of tea. I just wanted to comment in general: I think it's cool that people have the opportunity to express their thoughts while these (and other lines) are still in the pre-production stages. I agree that the manufacturers of these toys owe us nothing, but on the flip side, we owe them nothing.

It's in everyone's best interest to have a Mego-like product that people actually want so that they will sell well and more Mego-like lines will be considered. I know sometimes the comments can get a bit negative, but sometimes the products could have been easily made better. I have no dog in the SMDM fight, so again, I'm not talking about this thread in particular. I just think it's ok for people to express their opinion (even if it's negative) because it gives the manufacturers an idea of what their potential customers think.

We fanboys are the ones buying the products and if enough of the complaints are the same, hopefully the manufacturers will take notice before the toys hit the shelves making the fanboys less unhappy and helping the manufacturers to sell more toys!
                                Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎