X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • karamazov80
    • Aug 24, 2008

Interested in the Teen Titans

Hey guys,

I joined this forum awhile back, but never got around to actually posting until now. So first, let me give a brief introduction--I live in Louisiana, and am a collector of all kinds of geeky things, ranging from Minimates and Kubricks to Transformers and GI Joe to what are arguably the evolved or devolved (depending on your perspective) off-spring of MEGO--1/6th scale Sideshow and Hot Toys action figures.

To be honest, my interest in MEGO is pretty limited. I was born in 1980, so though I had some MEGO as a kid (and though Spidey is a constant fixture on my display shelf), they were a bit before my time. So I lack some of the nostalgia that I suspect many of you have, but I appreciate them for what they are and what they represent.

As for why I'm posting here--I'm a huge fan of the Teen Titans. Speedy is probably my favorite DC character of them all. But as many of you know, eBay prices are expensive for these, and are often for incomplete or damaged figures. So, I wanted to join to read up on the potential options for obtaining a decent looking collection of Titans for my display, preferably without having to pay through the nose. The most obvious option would be buying complete, minty figures, but I've noticed there are a handful of sites and eBayers who sell re-cast or newly created MEGO-scale accessories. Are there places where I could kit-bash my own pseudo-MEGO Titans using outfits, boots, accessories, and possibly even heads that aren't the real deal?

Thanks for reading, and any input would be appreciated.
  • timb
    Will Draw for Toys
    • May 1, 2009

Hey, there's a fellow on the forums names bleit who does awesome costume work, I believe Theresa does as well. Doc Mego makes the heads and sells the repro boots/gloves. Dostoevsky fan?

Comment

• karamazov80
      • Aug 24, 2008

Thanks for the input. I'll look into that. Yeah, I created that name on a whim years back as a backup e-mail address, but it stuck with me and became my handle for various message boards

Comment

• david_b
        Never had enough toys..
        • May 9, 2008

Kudo's and WELCOME. Yes, my interest in Mego's was rather limited at first.., but it's such a fun community here, you'll be surprised at what you start expanding out to.

Timb is absolutely correct, there's a LOT of talented Titan-lovers here..!!
        Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• samurainoir
          Eloquent Member
          • Dec 26, 2006

You can definitely put together Repros of Speedy, Kid Flash and Aqualad for quite a reasonable amount.

You'd use either a Lion Rock soldier body or order the teen body from Classic TV Toys (you might want to restring it). Doc Mego for the accessories.

I'd highly recommend Brian Lietner, although there are others as well that sew repro titans suits.

Both Lietner and Doc do resin heads (which you'd paint).

Wonder Girl would be a bit more of a challenge because of her head and body have not been repro'd but not impossible if you cobble together something (see the customs forum threads)
          My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

And if you do get your Repro project done, there are plenty of other Teen Titans to make customs of... I'm working on Raven, Tim Drake Robin, Superboy, Beast Boy, Cassie Wonder Girl and Impulse.

Comment

• karamazov80
              • Aug 24, 2008

Thanks. Yeah, I would really dig having versions of assorted Titans through the years. The Wolfman/Perez team being particular favorites of mine. Would also be nifty to customize a couple enemies like Deathstroke: The Terminator and Brother Blood. . .if only I had the skill :D

Comment

• bobws
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 13, 2008

Titans are the reason i'm a Mego fan. But they are hard and expensive to find and buy. i've mostly gone with repro stuff and for even more fun i've made 8" versions of them as well so they fit in with Robin. i'm finally done with all the 60-70's Titans and now working on the Wolfman/Perez years characters forward. So have fun and realize it takes either alot of money or alot of time and patience.
                Last edited by bobws; Aug 12, '11, 5:07 AM.
                "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• karamazov80
                  • Aug 24, 2008

Originally posted by bobws
                  So have fun and realize it takes either alot of money or alot of time and patience.
                  I wish I had a bit more of all 3 of those things

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

if its at all possible could you show pics of your titans? pleeeeeeease!!!

Comment

• karamazov80
                      • Aug 24, 2008

Though I'm sure you are referring to bob, I can post my Titan Minimates

Several of those were custom made by the great Minimate customizer Luke314pi.

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

Nice. I really do wish they had continued the DC mates.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• karamazov80
                          • Aug 24, 2008

Yeah, DC Direct's character choices toward the end were a bit bizarre, and I think that negatively affected sales, which contributed strongly to the demise of the line. Too bad. We never got a single Legionnaire.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

This is Wonder Girl in a brilliant Brian Lietner repro suit with incredible hand painted stars.

Raven is a Pocahontas Disney Princess in a Brian Lietner costume. he does brilliant work.

Shanna is there just to show you the size compared to a regular female Mego

Comment

• bobws
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 13, 2008

Someone did load up a group shot of my Titans for me in the custom forum about 3 months ago. my images are too big and i am link illiterite to post that. you may find a lot of my customs on Photo Bucket i think just under my name, bobby simpson or bobws.
                              "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎