X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den82
    Career Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

Land of Oohs & Oz (Long Island)

Thinking about going to this place on Sunday. I heard last weekend they have a big selection of Mego. Anyone been/go there? Good prices?
  • trekman101
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 6, 2009

From what I know his prices are in line with every one else and he has hard to find items
    "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I have been meaning to hit that place for years. I had his flyer in my car so I would have the address handy when down on the Island for business. Just have never gotten to it. Let me know how it is

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Yeah, I'm interested to know as well.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• WannabeMego
          Made in the USA
          • May 2, 2003

Blue Meanie (Berto - My Brother) knows that place VERY well.

He'll probably chirp in a little bit later.
          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
            Banned
            • Jun 23, 2001

His prices are OK on Megos...a little on the high side. Unfortunately he really doesn't have a tremendous amount of Megos...Soon as you walk into the store the showcase in the middle against the right wall will have all of his megos. He just has a LOT of stuff in the store. Used to have a lot more vintage stuff a few years back...not as much now. He has some vintage Joes along the back wall showcase. If you go on Saturday you will probably be talking to AJ...he manages the store and is a really cool guy. He knows a LOT about Star Wars and GI Joes. Just a great guy to talk toys with. He knows his stuff. There is definitely a lot to take in when you go to the store...worth the stop in when you are here on Long Island.

Comment

• Den82
              Career Member
              • Jan 17, 2011

I finally went 2 weeks ago. I cannot it was a good experience.

A lot of really great stuff to see. But when I saw the sign that said something to the effect of "this is not a museum, this is a retail store" (basically saying buy or get out), I felt uncomfortable and just wanted to leave. There was another sign about hidden cameras due to all the stealing (the tone was as if all customers were to blame) and everywhere I went in the store, I was being followed by somebody who worked there. THAT was annoying.

I really wanted to buy something, but everything was on the high side and a lot of the stuff wasn't in the best shape.

Comment

• josephcardone
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 10, 2010

I used to go there many years ago (they have been around a long time). It is nice to look but the prices are high. Amok Time is nice too!! The owner, Paul is a nice guy. Once again - prices are high. These are both retail stores with lots of overhead - they have to ask high prices. I really just look - even though the signs may discourage it

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I've never went there but I always assumed Land of Oohs & Oz was Dr Megos store.

You learn something new everyday

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                    WANTED for card bending
                    • Apr 26, 2008

Doc used to have a shop in the back, That's where i ran into and met Paul for the first time. The store is awesome, but the guys in the shop are cranky, but will work with you on prices on rare occasions. They treated me harshly once, because a lady came in selling bootleg movies, and I asked her how much, they told me I had to buy mine from THEM, not her, and I have not been back since. Long island has a few toy gems like Fantastic Toyage, and Amok, but in the tri county flea market there are a couple of places too. also Chosen one, which is better for new stuff, as the mego prices there are off the mark.

Comment

• Den82
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 17, 2011

I like Amok Time the best. Fantastic Voyage is amazing for their quality merchandise. However, the prices are way too high. But I understand the whole overhead thing with a physical location.

I have to go to Tri-County. I haven't been there in many years.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by bizzaro megomauler
                        Doc used to have a shop in the back, That's where i ran into and met Paul for the first time. The store is awesome, but the guys in the shop are cranky, but will work with you on prices on rare occasions. They treated me harshly once, because a lady came in selling bootleg movies, and I asked her how much, they told me I had to buy mine from THEM, not her, and I have not been back since. Long island has a few toy gems like Fantastic Toyage, and Amok, but in the tri county flea market there are a couple of places too. also Chosen one, which is better for new stuff, as the mego prices there are off the mark.
                        The guy he has working for him isn't cranky. AJ is one of the easiest people to get along with. Known him for more than 10 years. He knows his stuff when it comes to vintage stuff. It probably wasn't AJ that helped you.

Comment

• drmego
                          EMCE Toys
                          • Jun 15, 2001

When my daughter was a toddler, I rented some space in the back of
                          the store. That was 6 years ago, but I still like to visit frequently.

I have had many talks with Robert - the owner at Oohs and Oz about
                          how he comes across to customers. He has many decades of experience
                          in retail and has little patience for the people who come in just to look.
                          He can spot them as soon as they walk in. To the people who actually
                          want to buy, he is much more friendly.

I have told Robert that the store is sensory overload - that it takes
                          a while for people to take in ALL the stuff there - so he has to be
                          more patient while they browse.

AJ is a very friendly guy who will talk your ear off - but he does know
                          about modern toys.
                          www.drmego.com
                          www.megoman.com
                          www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                            WANTED for card bending
                            • Apr 26, 2008

Funny thing is Paul, i usually walked out with a decent haul, or at least a little something every time i went there. I have not been back since he got his first Khans. I used to go in with friends who always bought Megos, and Batman stuff on lunchbreaks. I understand the whole thing, but he practically threw me out of the store over a bootleg copy of Revenge of the sith... I would now rather spend my money here : )

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Been there a few times when I go visit my cousin in Levittown. Love it and the guy there is always nice to me and my kids...but then again I go in there buying and he's even given me discounts so no complaints on my part...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎