Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pieces you passed on, and wish you didn't.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ronin
    • Sep 1, 2007

Didn't really pass on this but, oh the pain! (I've told this story many a time so if you've heard it, bear with me.)
    Not long after Mego folded in the early '80s I went into an Odd Lot store in NYC that sold cut rate, irregular and discontinued merch and was delighted to find a huge stack of Aquaman vs. the Greatwhite shark selling for about $2 or $3 each. I had never seen Aquaman packaged that way so I immediately grabbed one up. Back in those days I had a tendency to set fire and things to toys so I actually went through a few of them but geez, if only I knew then....
    Anyway, when I first discovered the Mego Museum back in the 90's the first question I asked the group was "Anyone got any of those Aquaman sharks floating around?" - you can imagine what a complete tool I felt like when those responses started flaming in.
    Lest ye be as little children ye shall in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven

Comment

• MegoNinja
      Career Member
      • Feb 7, 2007

Originally posted by Ronin
      Didn't really pass on this but, oh the pain! (I've told this story many a time so if you've heard it, bear with me.)
      Not long after Mego folded in the early '80s I went into an Odd Lot store in NYC that sold cut rate, irregular and discontinued merch and was delighted to find a huge stack of Aquaman vs. the Greatwhite shark selling for about $2 or $3 each. I had never seen Aquaman packaged that way so I immediately grabbed one up. Back in those days I had a tendency to set fire and things to toys so I actually went through a few of them but geez, if only I knew then....
      Anyway, when I first discovered the Mego Museum back in the 90's the first question I asked the group was "Anyone got any of those Aquaman sharks floating around?" - you can imagine what a complete tool I felt like when those responses started flaming in.
      if you can get me one of those $2 aqua man sharks I would gladly pay you DOUBLE what you paid for it. Doesn't that sound fair?
      Lol, you poor guy, don't worry I have thrown a few thousand dollars worth of toy's in the bin too.
      I the Monster Hero

Comment

• toys2cool
        Ultimate Mego Warrior
        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by Ronin
        That really sucks bro,but hey you live and you learn and at least you could say you were one of the lucky ones who have owned one before
        "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
        My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
          Banned
          • Oct 17, 2007

Originally posted by Dave Mc
          This past year I passed on the opportunity to own one of the original Logan's Run figures. I wanted it SO bad, but I had some things come up in the real world and couldn't justify spending the money. I had to back out. But I was an email away from closing the deal. I had to pass, but I regret it everytime I think about it. It's one of those opportunities that just doesn't come along but once in a blue moon.
          I feel your pain. A buddy of mine bought a couple of the prototype 12" empire strikes back proposed figures from the original lady who created them . I remember him paying thousands for them. He is a very private collector that gets items and never lets others know much about them even though he had a huge prototype collection . The spotlight and showing off has never been his thing in collecting. I like to think of him as someone like a collector that buys an expensive painting and hangs it in his basement forever.
          He sold his enitre collection off for big money over the years and I had a chance to buy one of the dolls at a cut rate deal. But with a wife and all that I couldn't pull the trigger on it either. Something that the single folks can't understand.
          I was able to buy an original Jawa costume used in promotion of Star war and as a background costume in the movie. He also let go of his ride on speeder bike.I love the prototypes and still buy when I can but still I have to sell my artwork or my toys to buy them.
          One of the great dealers on ebay " Hollywoodheroes" always has great prototype artwork and is a great guy to deal with too.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

It would take four pages of threads to go over my list.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

One of the biggest that sticks in my mind is I passed on GAH bug and figures set MIB at a flea market in North Carolina years ago. The guy was asking $100 and I thought he was nuts. Of course this was before I really got into colelcting Megos again and found out what that set really went for.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

Ugh, this is a painful subject. I've had so many, but there is one that still haunts. It wasn't a deal or anything, but it was a slod-boxed Batman. I just felt that I didn't want to spend the money, at that time. Now I would jump to drop the money for one in great shape :(
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• zorro
                  Resident member
                  • Nov 3, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                  It would take four pages of threads to go over my list.
                  I am with you on this.
                  Website for rare and exciting figures for the 1950s to present, now featuring MANY Action Figure Protective Clamshell cases -- ZoloWorld.com

Find us on facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZoloWorldcom/180282916241

Check out REALM OF THE UNDERWORLD 5 3/4" Retro Action Figure Fantasy Series.
                  http://www.underworldfigures.com

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎