Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dumbldor
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 9, 2002

Thanks, B. Spidey is from the Parkdale warehouse 'find'. Mark struck out on these initially (he says there were only 8 and they were scarfed up quickly by someone else), but he picked up three down the road. He was down to two, and he had a hard time deciding which one to keep and which one to pass on to me, they are both so cherry. Mark insists that he has never seen any on the secondary market that did not come from that find.

Comment

• LovetheLizard
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 15, 2005

Originally posted by dumbldor
      Thanks, B. Spidey is from the Parkdale warehouse 'find'. Mark struck out on these initially (he says there were only 8 and they were scarfed up quickly by someone else), but he picked up three down the road. He was down to two, and he had a hard time deciding which one to keep and which one to pass on to me, they are both so cherry. Mark insists that he has never seen any on the secondary market that did not come from that find.
      Dan,

Congrats!!! The Parkdale Spidey is in incredible condition and is no small feat to attain in one's collection. I too remember Mark telling me that story and I was very close on purchasing one of the Spidey's from him, but landed another instead. I know for a fact that John Bonavita had scarfed up some and the one I own which is pictured in the MM gallery was his and to my knowledge the last one to surface on eBay. How many years ago exactly was that?...1999 or 2000? Once again, your collection is amazing. Now here's to a Green Goblin and Wonder Woman down the road.

Aaron

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I know for a fact that John Bonavita had scarfed up some and the one I own which is pictured in the MM gallery was his and to my knowledge the last one to surface on eBay
        That was the one I traded John back in 97, it was from the same find. Mark's estimates are a little off, there were more than 8 Spider-Man in that lot. I remember seeing an entire case of them back in the 80s, although it's hard to say how many remain in package. I know at least of one friend who tossed the card back in the day.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

Yesterday I received a real nice T-1 Isis from megocrazy. I need to find sandals and bracelets and maybe clean the outfit up a bit but it's a beaut.

Hmm. Just realized that I never owned an Isis back in the day. The only WGSH females that I did own were Supergirl, Wonder Woman, and Catwoman. Never owned an Uhura either but I did have Zira. And since returning to Mego collecting this past Christmas, Isis is my second female only behind Zira.
          Last edited by Action Martin; Jul 4, '08, 8:37 AM.
          Scott

Comment

• dumbldor
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 9, 2002

Thanks, Aaron. That's some pedigree your Parkdale Spidey has, John B and Palitoy as previous owners.

A whole case, B? I wonder how that slid under Mark's radar, or maybe he was using a creative sales tactic. Regardless, have been searching for one for many years. I remember passing on one at the Kane County show in about 1997 because it was a little rough and the seller wanted $300. That was exhorbitant for most carded WGSH at the time. The only one I remember on ebay was John B's, but there may have been others back in the 90s. They sure have dried up.

As for opening them back in the earlier days, I remember opening a pristine carded Batgirl so I could have a loose Mint Batgirl back in '95. Someone had cases of the 79 art US carded Batgirls. The carded figure was $125 and loose they were $100+, so it wasn't a major financial blow back then to open one. In hindsight, that was a $250-350 'mistake'.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

A whole case, B? I wonder how that slid under Mark's radar, or maybe he was using a creative sales tactic.

He's not, by the time he showed up at B&J's house, they likely only had that many left. I'd been dealing with them for a couple of years by that point, they sold the Spidey's in Starlog in '85 and had them for sale in their store as well. They were cheap too! Like I said, I know people who wrenched them right from the card. Card variations weren't really a big deal in the 80s but you know that.

I got Brad's last pair from him in 1997, which is the one John got which is now in Aaron's hands.

The only one I remember on ebay was John B's, but there may have been others back in the 90s. They sure have dried up.
              And How, I had a great find of a half dozen or so Hulks from a different source (who also got Spidey and Hulk from parkdale back in the day) but haven't seen a Spidey since '97.

Comment

• Sowth
                Career Member
                • Mar 14, 2006

Congrats on completing the Batgirls Dan, a wonderful accomplishment. Those dual cards are spectacular too, I had to add the Spidey to my 'one day' list after seeing yours.

I'm enjoying hearing about some of the past finds of case fresh Megos too guys :-)

Cheers!
                Will
                Toltoys Kid Vintage Australian Toys and Ice Creams

Comment

• AUSSIE-Rebooted-AMM
                  I was NEVER here!
                  • Jun 22, 2008

Don't forget to ask. . . when you do those TolToys Interviews, Will. . . .you never know!

Comment

• LovetheLizard
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 15, 2005

Originally posted by Surfsup
                    Thanks guys, it's one of the most prized possessions in my collection. The bubble has been resealed down the right hand side to a very high standard, you'd almost miss it if you didn't know. As far as numbers are aware, I only know of one other that was sold in the UK 4 years ago for $160 (I still can't believe that). Does anyone else have any ideas as to how many are out there?
                    Bill,

I consider myself as my name states as loving the character Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created in 1963 as much as anyone on the planet and have dropped some serious coin on some merchandise relating to the character. I must say that I am extremely envious of you and happy for you at the same time. I would rank this packaged figure up there with Wonder Woman in rarity. Again, congrats on obtaining him and I would've beaten you to it had I mortgaged the farm,

PS. Best packaged mego by far...although I am "slightly" biased.

Aaron

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Not mego but mego like enough (plus it was sculpted by Ken Sheller), I nabbed this guy while at "Loves Saves the Day" recently, it was well priced and they knocked off 20%.

Comment

• Man of Action
                        Persistent Member
                        • Oct 26, 2006

that package "scares" me!!..great artwork..cool pick-up!!

Comment

• toys2cool
                          Ultimate Mego Warrior
                          • Nov 27, 2006

I love that wolfman,nice pick up
                          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• dumbldor
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 9, 2002

Originally posted by LovetheLizard
                            Dan,

Congrats!!! The Parkdale Spidey is in incredible condition and is no small feat to attain in one's collection. I too remember Mark telling me that story and I was very close on purchasing one of the Spidey's from him, but landed another instead. I know for a fact that John Bonavita had scarfed up some and the one I own which is pictured in the MM gallery was his and to my knowledge the last one to surface on eBay. How many years ago exactly was that?...1999 or 2000? Once again, your collection is amazing. Now here's to a Green Goblin and Wonder Woman down the road.

Aaron
                            Thanks, Aaron.

Aaron, if it's not too forward to ask, you obtained your Parkdale Spidey directly from John, or did it come from someone else?

Comment

• LovetheLizard
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 15, 2005

Originally posted by dumbldor
                              Thanks, Aaron.

Aaron, if it's not too forward to ask, you obtained your Parkdale Spidey directly from John, or did it come from someone else?
                              Dan,

I purchased the Parkdale Spider-Man from someone else.

Aaron

Comment

• dumbldor
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jun 9, 2002

Aaron, thanks for confirming privately what I thought, and then some!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎