X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by Azrak
    A carded Lizard, in an acrylic case, in a storage shed?
    I was thinking the same thing. If you have it in an acrylic case you know it shouldn't be in a storage shed and you sure as hell don't stop paying the bill. Anyone remember the post about the guy buying up all sorts of stuff recently? Wonder if there were any Mego figures like these in those auctions? Stuffs gotta come from somewhere if it's rigged.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• j_scott_o
      • Nov 14, 2009

Originally posted by jds1911a1
      it's probably as rigged as any "reality" show but it's produced by Thom Beers (who created deadliest catch) so while he may edit for drama he isn't know for fabricating stuff. I have seen a couple times when the buyers lost on a lot but obviously it's more dramtic to see home runs
      Exactly. And, saying "rigged" is the wrong word. Like all of these types of shows, they are edited. Who in the world would want to watch a show where it showed all the "busts" on the buys? Or the typical day to day type of buys? It says up front that these are the best cases. I highly doubt these items are planted.

As for having doubts about graded items or acrylic cases Megos, etc being in storage...who knows why people put stuff in storage? I know about 15 years ago, I put a TON of collectables in a climate controlled storage b/c I moved. I did this two times, once for about 9 months and one for about 3 months. Why are they left in there? Well, maybe the owner died. Maybe they were in the military, got shipped out, forgot about the locker. Maybe they lost their job, couldn't pay, and the storage ppl aren't gonna open it up for them to get their stuff. Who knows what happens.

Bottom line...people store stuff for all sorts of reasons. But, regardless, it was cool to see Megos on a reality show.

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

Even though the story is staged or re-enacted, the major upside is the spotlight on Megos put in the limelight for the masses.
        Seems the producer of the story is either a fan or realizes how popular Megos are becoming in recent times.
        Bottom line, good news for us fans.

Comment

• wyatterb
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 2, 2001

I'd say somebody loaned their collection to the show.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

Interesting. I've never see the show, but I do have some knowledge about storage shed rental units. Here's how: back when my wife and I were dating in the mid-90s her parents/family had a family friend who made his living in Tucson (and maybe its surrounding areas) by buying out storage units on rental properties. Maybe they're auctioned instead of out-right being sold off, I just don't know or remember. As I have never used a rented storage unit for stuff of my own, I guess I've never thought about such things. Anyway, I can tell you this friend of the family makes really good under the table money doing this. A lot more money than I see doing my tax-abiding 9-5. Like over 50K in cash. Maybe two or three times that some years. He spends something like a few hundred bucks for the right to have the contents inside each of the storage units and then he sells the stuff inside on Criaglist, eBay, or at a swap meet. Or he keeps it, or gives whatever he wants away. I imagine he doesn't always score gems, but my father-in-law got a free boat, my sister-in-law got a free in-working-condition motorcycle scooter out of one and another brother-in-law of mine was gifted a brand new digital camera, a Canon Powershot. So there's sometimes nice, new stuff stored away for whatever reason. And that's just the stuff I heard about, there's probably more gifts. Never got a chance to know this guy that bought the storage units really well. He assited me of his own free-will back the mid 90's when my car broke down and I had to replace the rack and pinion of my Plymouth Reliant. (Never want to do that job again.)

So why do people forefeit such things? I have no idea, but on my occasional bad work days (like anyone else I'm human and daydream too) I sometimes wish I had this type of job on the side or immediately on reserve, you know, just in case. I was stunned to hear how much money that guy made and I'm jealous and I sometimes wonder how great it'd be to be my own boss. I used to wonder if the guy has seen some stuff in those sheds he wishes he didn't like dead bodies and what not, which was my way of thinking back then the job wasn't for me.

Comment

• pmwasson
              Maker
              • Sep 12, 2007

Is the show online or repeated? I wouldn't mind seeing the reveal of the Megos.
              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• tinkerbeee
                Museum Patron
                • Dec 13, 2009

Whoops didnt even realize there was a thread going before I posted my own message. Anyhoo, I am kind of on the fence about being "rigged" or not. I would almost tend to believe it but for the fact that along with a diamond suit Spiderman and Lizard and Green Arrow and the other nice figures there was also a carded Hulk and what looked like some other commons. The thing I found most interesting was all of the other stuff the comic store guy kind of low-balled with a 2 to 3 hundred dollar estimate. We are talking Clash of the Titans, carded Crystar, and even a carded POTF Amanaman. I wish I could buy all of the other stuff for 300.

Comment

• j_scott_o
                  • Nov 14, 2009

Originally posted by pmwasson
                  Is the show online or repeated? I wouldn't mind seeing the reveal of the Megos.
                  The episode is called "Midnight in the Gardena Good and Evil". It looks like it airs again Sunday night at 10pm ET.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                    valar morghulis
                    • Mar 8, 2005

What happened to the thread with the videos? Zapped?

Here's the Mego scene from the A&E site:

Storage Wars - Video - AE TV
                    Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Jan 13, '11, 8:39 PM.

Comment

• Teemu
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 15, 2010

I think its time that Hasbro puts out their own Marvel retro action series

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                        What happened to the thread with the videos? Zapped?
                        ^^ I thought better of it. I had posted that video with the Mego Museum name on it, but began to have my doubts that it's "real", and the more I thought about it the less I wanted the Museum's name associated with it.
                        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• AndyL
                          • Nov 5, 2008

Did anyone notice the Alter Egos and Kresge Joker behind the store owner?

Comment

• rchatlin
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 24, 2001

I noticed them, along with Benjamin's book

I've been to that store many times,
                            but this is the first time I ever saw Mego's there.

r
                            o
                            b

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

Good eye! And I see a carded Spider-man and Ben's WGSH book right next to them.. at 4:13 and 4:38 of the video link I posted.

My cynical take on this is that the area comic shop owner (obviously a diehard toy guy) contacted the show (or maybe vice-versa), and pitched the concept of finding the old toys and super-rare Megos. The show runs with his pitch, and in exchange he gets his mug and store on TV.

You'll probably see him show up again when one of the buyers scores with a valuable lot of vintage comics..

Comment

• stuntsister
                                • Mar 8, 2005

It was worth a call though!
                                Last edited by stuntsister; Jan 13, '11, 9:35 PM. Reason: repeated

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎