• Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
    How mature
    you ain't kidding.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Megosaurus
      Banned
      • Aug 6, 2007

How is Mattel proposing to fix the leg situation/problem? Will there be a running change with Wave 1? When will that go into effect? How many Retros are being produced as is? Will there be any other changes to wave 1? What types of feedback have been presented to Mattel?

Comment

• Ivaniski
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 24, 2007

Batman, Aquaman, Two-face, Black Manta

Originally posted by Hulk
        OK, instead of complaining about the look, since it's probably pretty much a done deal, I decided to analyze the look and see if it could be made better without retooling. I think part of the problem is with the paint job. I think we all get a bit of a Superfriends vibe to the line, so that is what I used as a guide.

I adjusted the paint mask to look a bit more like that, and came up with this...

compared to the before picture, which looked like this...

Basically I raised the black on the cowl, widened it a bit, thinned out the eyebrows a tad, and narraowed and raised the blue on the nose. I'm sure it could be done better, but this is what I think could be done, before production, to help it out a bit.

Opinions?
        Very nice work in trying to alter the look for analytical purposes Hulkster. Being that they're going with the Superfriends Batman look,...Why not give it the "5 Star treatment" like this:
        The prototype has a serious Dorky look to it...'As per my 15 year old son'. However, this one below has excellent attention to overall look and detail ...........Hopefully, with a little retooling we may get something closer to these pics below.

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
          Career Member
          • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by Megosaurus
          How is Mattel proposing to fix the leg situation/problem? Will there be a running change with Wave 1? When will that go into effect? How many Retros are being produced as is? Will there be any other changes to wave 1? What types of feedback have been presented to Mattel?
          The bodies will be fixed with Wave 2 as Doc already stated earlier.

Lynn

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Well, call me crazy, but the more I like at these, the more they grow on me, the more I like 'em. These have Mego charm written all over them, people seem to have forgotten that charm.
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Ivaniski
              Very nice work in trying to alter the look for analytical purposes Hulkster. Being that they're going with the Superfriends Batman look,...Why not give it the "5 Star treatment" like this:
              The prototype has a serious Dorky look to it...'As per my 15 year old son'. However, this one below has excellent attention to overall look and detail ...........Hopefully, with a little retooling we may get something closer to these pics below.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...igbatSmall.jpg
              From the neck down it will probably look a lot like that. The gloves will probably be a little looser, and the boots bulkier. It just needs topped off with a friendly head that doesn't look like a bucket, IMHO.

Comment

• Megosaurus
                Banned
                • Aug 6, 2007

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
                The bodies will be fixed with Wave 2 as Doc already stated earlier.

Lynn
                How exactly are these bodies being fixed? I thought the bodies should be fixed already in a running change. I need more details about the running changes in wave 1. Doc said the beauty of Mattell is that they can make running changes...so anyone who did not like the bodies should skip buying wave 1 altogether.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  All of the BBP/EMCE stuff that's being unveiled today is better than this Mattel Wave IMO....The Twilight Zone stuff for example is unbelievable and spot-on...from a show that's BLACK and WHITE and 50 years old and is basically a lot of actors in basic and obvious costumes. But it POPS! And then we have Mattel doing iconic DC characters who are larger than life in the funny pages with exotic looks and colorful costumes and they look like kit-bashed stuff.
                  There is some truth to this, Anthony. Better decisions about figure construction, costume fabric, & trims (those cuffs are huge) would give this line the tweaking it needs.

I will wholeheartedly support Mattel, and I hope to see continuing improvements as waves progress.

But my own Two-Face is much better, and a more Neal Adams-type Batman would be wiser--save that cowl deco for B&B and Super Friends...

Even Mego had the wisdom to avoid this originally--look how their deco ruined Capt. America. And they had the foresight to make Capt. Marvel look like a real person...
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Megosaurus
                    Banned
                    • Aug 6, 2007

I agree as well!

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Now that there are so many other 8" lines Mattel will be forced to take care of all thoe problems (especially the legs) if they want these to sell. Cause if they don't people will spend their money on other lines, plenty to choose
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• LizardJones
                        • Feb 3, 2010

I have the first five Retro figures, and I'm generally very happy with them. I've been looking forward to seeing what Wave 2 looks like, and I'm psyched, especially happy to see Aquaman and Black Manta.

I've been looking at the Batman figure (especially considering all the -ahem- friendly debate on the board), and is it just me, or is the problem the blue nose?

I dropped the pic into Photoshop and painted the nose black, and I think it looks much better. The blue nose is odd. I'd post the pic if I could figure out how to do that. Newbie and all.

Comment

• Megosaurus
                          Banned
                          • Aug 6, 2007

Unfortunately the "rushed" nature of these proto types for show...showcases many problems in regards to Batman and Aquaman...it is not just a nose issue....the face is ill defined and poorly sculpted...these are not Mego standards by a long shot.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 23, 2008

Here's some before and after some quick tweaks I did in Photoshop. Remember, I said QUICK tweaks. I use Photoshop every day at work and am quite adept with it. I wasn't making the Mona Lisa here.

If Batman's nose is going to be blue, which by the way, is what I prefer, it MUST have a black line.

Bruce's hair, now parted on the side, looks a zillion times better IMO.

Here's a big difference, I tapered the jawline.

See if you can spot the other subtle tweaks.

Comment

• Raydeen1
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 23, 2008

Oh, for the record...I LIKE the Batman. I hate the cuffs and I'd prefer blue shorts but otherwise, I like him.
                              Originally posted by Raydeen1
                              Here's some before and after some quick tweaks I did in Photoshop. Remember, I said QUICK tweaks. I use Photoshop every day at work and am quite adept with it. I wasn't making the Mona Lisa here.

If Batman's nose is going to be blue, which by the way, is what I prefer, it MUST have a black line.

Bruce's hair, now parted on the side, looks a zillion times better IMO.

Here's a big difference, I tapered the jawline.

See if you can spot the other subtle tweaks.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...oBruceBats.jpg

Comment

• Megosaurus
                                Banned
                                • Aug 6, 2007

Duuuuuuuuuude! Amazing job! Splash this rock n roll of the formula Mattell!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎