Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEGOMAN
    Defender of the Megoverse
    • Dec 30, 2008

Wait till they fine tune these a bit. Then imagine wave 3!!

Comment

• Ivaniski
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 24, 2007

Batman, Aquaman, Two-face, Black Manta

Bruce Wayne looks like he has a Receding Hairline Monk type of haircut. The mask looks very unpleasing to me and my kids, And i wanted Batman's overall look to be.........GREAT!!!
      Last edited by Ivaniski; Feb 15, '10, 9:27 AM.

Comment

• Caelonfox
        • Aug 7, 2008

Originally posted by LovethoseMegos
        The Batman head looks sculpted not a removable cowl...
        The Prototype is sculpted, but Doc Mego said a few posts earlier that they had to use the sculpted version over the intended "Removable cowl" version for some reason. But he said it would be removable. Not sure how you can show a non removable cowl at the show and just say "hey it WILL BE removable when they go to production without a little bit of worry on our part as to how it will actually look and if it can actually be pulled off.

Here's to hoping. I personally wish they had gone with non removable/all molded sculpt first!

I also can't wait to see what the new backer card color will be for wave 2!
        Firefighter/Mego Collector

Comment

• kryptosmaster
          Removed.
          • Jun 14, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
          Mattel should have had the bugs worked out before they started mass producing them. Exactly how hard is it to make an eight inch figure that can stand up straight? Hasbro's efforts with the 9 inchers are superior to these...and they cost less too. Mattel will need to come down on price beause the quality is not there, especially since they all pose like they ate some bad chicken...
          So the CTVT have the "gotta pee" pose. I guess we need a name for the new Mattel figures pose? The "botulism stance"?

Originally posted by boss
          Supes took a header.
          Luthor finally got his revenge.

Originally posted by palitoy
          A year ago we had nothing but rumours and hope, now look at the embarrassment of riches this toyfair has brought us, this is an incredible time, I find it hard to pick apart anything.

I've found the last 10 toy fairs boring and disappointing, I can't believe what today has brought.
          I find it awesome as well that this could be the rebirth of the 8" line but I still strongly feel that the price is what's going to ultimately kill it. I'm a parent and I would never spend $20 for one figure for my kid. $10 sure, $15 probably but not $20+. And now with all the quality issues coming out this is bad news. Bad news travels fast. Mattel better get moving on some "in the field" fixes or this line will get a reputation that it won't recover from.

Originally posted by Corellian Corvette
          C
          Here's my wishlist for Mattel. In priority order

1. Fix the bodies. Been posted dozens of times – singularly I believe this is the biggest problem.
          2. Give the boots a better fit. The boots on these things are HUGE. It’s not only that they are bulky, but they’re enormous!
          3. Improve the quality of the outfits/emblems. The suits are really fragile! The emblems are peeling almost instantly.
          4. Make the heads easier to remove. He changing was a hallmark of the line – I don’t like that I have to destroy the bodies to remove the head.
          5. Better compatibility of hands/feet with original Mego.

Also – outfits? Can we get a Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent alter ego set, please!
          I agree with your list for the most part.
          I think the suits are way too tight also.
          I don't have a problem with the hands though.
          I don't much care for the gauntlets although they are better than oven mitts but not by much.

Originally posted by BlackKnight

Everyone Likes to Complain about the DC <Hasbro> 9inchers.... outside of the Feet and Hands..., I think they are the Closes figures to Quality for Super Hero's Near this Scale that I have personally ever scene. And they didn't last Long. I think Thier Bodies are Miles Ahead of the Mattel 1. MegoHolic's will say,.. "It's because they were Not 8inch Scale" ..., No,.. it's Not.
          I agree. I have a few of those Hasbro figures and they were really nice but I hated that you couldn't take their outfits off and mostly I just didn't like that they were too big to display with my Megos. By the way, I picked all mine up on clearance. Unfortunately I have a forboding feeling I may end up buying these Mattel figures on clearance as well if they don't take these criticisms seriously and make some improvements.

I feel somewhat justified in my early complaints but I don't want to see this line fail any more than a rabid supporter of it does. I think the success of this line paves the way for even better figures that can truly be called new Megos (crossing my fingers that may actually come to pass one day soon. New figures actually made by MEGO CORP!)

As for the figures this thread pertains to:
          Aquaman is kind of generic looking. Almost looks like a member of a boy band but I like the costume (with the exception of the gauntlets).

Two-Face...Meh....not high on my want list.

Manta looks cool but again, not high on my want list.

Batman...well if I'm being honest...the prototype just looks awful. I hope the production run looks a lot nicer.

Rich

Comment

• SciFiGuyLA
            Museum Patron
            • Feb 11, 2009

Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth:

Aquaman - Love it! Huge improvement over the original. Spot on, as the Brits would say.

Black Manta - Awesome! Lovin' the prototype!

Two-Face - Bold choice. I like it. I like it a lot.

Batman - Great.... except for that removable cowl. Ugly. I hate it. Here's the problem with the removable cowl idea. In order to make it work, you either have to make the head intentionally small, or the cowl intentionally large, and no matter which way you choose to go, it still ends up looking awkward. If Mattel wanted to do the RC version as a chase figure or a Matty exclusive, I would be OK with that. But for the primary Wave 2 version, I would definitely prefer a non-removable cowl sculpt for the head.

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by MEGOMAN
              Wait till they fine tune these a bit. Then imagine wave 3!!
              I'm guessing at least Robin will be there. I'm starting to see a pattern. Superman first,now Batman and Aquaman. Robin was one of the original four WGSH,so my guess is that's when he shows up.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                Radioactive!
                • Feb 13, 2010

I couldn't be happier with Wave 2!
                Aquaman--a real improvement over the original; great resemblance to Steve Skeates artwork

Black Manta--love the sheen on the costume; great sculpt

Two-Face--my favorite Batman villain; best headsculpt yet

Batman--probably my favorite of this wave; love the removable cowl, as it looks like a much better version of what was produced in the early 70s. Besides, I'm sure Mattel will put out a sculpted cowl Batman before the line ends.

Comment

• toystalker
                  none
                  • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by drmego
                  Batman will have a removeable cowl, but the sample from the factory
                  was all black, so in order to avoid confusion, they showed the head
                  and mask as one, and the Bruce Wayne sculpt.

All 4 of wave 2 will be at Toys R Us.

As for compliants - I would rather hear them now and show them
                  to Mattel, then wait until the line is cancelled, then discuss what
                  we didn't like.
                  the only complaint i have... or er... request really is please leave them just like the prototypes as they look great

oh and p.s can we have a removeable mask robin in wave 3 cheers big ears

Comment

• Fuzzysnail
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 18, 2007

What? Thats it? Really?

Ok constructive criticism. I'm not excited, and what should have been the center peice of the entire line (Batman) could be the weakest link. I sat back and tried to digest everyones comments, and this is my thoughts...

Aquaman I like the costume, the head sculpt is too cartooney for me. I would love for the belt to be removeable, like Bats. The body needs work. They know it, we know it. Lets see what the fix will be. EmCe, and Castaway have the answere, please take some notes guys. Costumes are pretty baggy.

Black Manta Not one of the strongest figures they could have chosen to promote this line. Shouldn't we get more of the "A" list figures out before we dig this deep? That being saidI like the sculpt, and costume. The accessories look to be a bonus. Body needs to be upgraded. A lot of people are unhappy with the cuffs on these figures but i approve. I would rather have a cuff and a colored hand. THis improves on the playability.

Two Face Good choice of Character. The head sculpt is ok, not what I have come to see so often on the custom boards, but it will fit in with the rest of the line. Clothes are too bulky...they dont lie correctly...very distracting. Can he get a cool accessory...coin...gun...something cool. Body needs to be updated.

BATMAN Probably the most custom created figure ever re-done on the custom pages. Just about everyone who has attempted a custom, threw their version of Bats out there...sooooo lots of examples. This one is extremely disapponting for me. I Really wanted this figure to be great. Not nearly as nice as mego created 35 years ago. If we can improve this headline character in our kitchen, can the professionals put a little more effort into the head sculpt?
                    The Bruce head looks very generic, The cowl looks like Ideals Helmet they used on Eivel Kneival. The cape is short, doesn't cover or hang well, and it needs the scallops. The belt is identical to Megos? really? The costume is baggy, looks like Bruce needs to hit the Gym. um...I like the boots.

If this is the second wave ...I fear for the continuance of the line. That being said, I'm sorry for the negative vibe. I want this line to explode and carry on for years to come. Lots of potential.
                    I think when I invisioned the continuence of the 8" mego like line, I thought the figures would be more appealing to younger generations, not just to MEGO collectors. I wanted to see a more Neil Adams type of caped crusader, and less of the Battle of the superfriends. Just one guy venting his hopes and frustrations. I hope someone is listening......We've waited a really long time for this, many gave up any hope of seeing this happen. So Congrats for the forward (or retro ) thinking and bringing this to fruition.
                    Congrats! Paul.

Comment

• david_b
                      Never had enough toys..
                      • May 9, 2008

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                      Hmmmm.....I'm really hating those glove cuffs......And Two-Face is a poor choice IMO....would have rather have seen Riddler (in keeping with a Challenge homage) or The Joker
                      Me NEITHER..!! It looked fine on prototypes, but they're the first thing I'd remove/customize..

And I'm HOPING for a decent Robin figure with a nice collar and 70s hairstyle and expression. GL still needs a better collar up the neck, like the prototype had.

david_b
                      Last edited by david_b; Feb 15, '10, 4:25 AM.
                      Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

Two-Face's sculpt is dead on, easily my favorite of this wave so far. We can't really comment on Batman since we don't know yet what he will actually look like. Sure the sculpted cowl gives us somewhat of an idea, but a removable cowl will look a lot different than this. It'll either look great or it'll look too bulky and suck, time will tell
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          Still Old School
                          • Feb 14, 2008

MEGO is back 100% and I love all four of these choices. They are spot-on and for many of us collectors, a dream come true!!

Thanks to all involved!
                          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Meule
                            Verbose Member
                            • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                            MEGO is back 100% and I love all four of these choices. They are spot-on and for many of us collectors, a dream come true!!

Thanks to all involved!
                            Well said, The Bat is alone in his whining
                            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Meule
                              Well said, The Bat is alone in his whining
                              Not quite alone....I think Batman needs some SERIOUS work done to make him a truly great figure...like he should be. Right now the prototype looks like nothing more than a quick kitbash IMO.
                              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

I can see how people can be disappointed with the design, as everyone has their own vision of how a "perfect mego" batman could be. However, I can't abide some of the ridiculous melodrama going on with the one presented.

I can't imagine this will be the sole Batman of the line....
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎